Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency brake light switch
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psych-illogical wrote:
I'm gonna do the Moot-mod to the light and relocated it somewhere visible (brilliant, really).

Yeah, I'm so f-ing brilliant I frighten myself. Notice my high-tech "LIGHTS" clothespin sitting in the speedometer that I clip to the keys when driving (I always drive w/my lights on) to remind me to turn them off when I shut down. GoWesty should sell that add-on for $29.95....
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

novice wrote:
To end my little tale, went back to the search feature and found techniques to diagnose, and fix what turned out to be the actual problem. After washing my van, I used the e brake and a wet brake shoe had stuck to the drum.

Happened to me once with the old brakes; washed it in the driveway and there it sat for a week. Had to beat the heck out of the left drum with a dead-blow hammer to break it free. After that incident, the van always goes for a drive after getting a bath, even with the new brakes.

MootPoint wrote:
tencentlife wrote:

Yeah, it's the one that is perfectly blocked from sight by the rim of the steering wheel. So even when it works (mine always has perfectly, one click up on the handle and it's on), you can still drive around with the brake on unless you crane your neck to see the warning light. Why this wasn't put in the vacant space under the LED cluster right front and center, I'll always wonder.

I posted this really simple mod a couple months ago but this looks like a good place to repost it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5367836&highlight=#5367836
Having now used it since I wonder how I lived without it. Like 10¢ I'm no NBA player (Sorry, Chris) so the eBrake light was invisible to me with occasional dire consequences. This works really well, IMHO. I always see it when I glance at the gauges as I'm about to put it in gear.

A previous owner of my van simply added a red light (actually, clear bulb with a red lens cover) above the OEM light (and I'm so glad he did!):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I recall, it's simply spliced into the original, blocked-from-view light wire.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an issue with the brake light that I could use some help with. The light worked (as far as I know) perfectly before I messed with it. I needed switched power to run the new check engine light and oil level light with the Zetec conversion. I checked the incoming power for the brake light switch in the dash and found a switched power lead that was always on (accept when key is off). I tapped into that to run the two low amperage lights. The switches for the lights are the ECU and a sensor in the oil pan; both complete the circuit by connecting to ground. Yes, I installed an inline fuse for this setup. My theory was that if they all were supplied power off of the switch hot for the brake light, they could individually ground out at their switch and each would operate independently. Well, this worked. The ECU light comes on when you turn the key on, but not over to engage starter and it goes off when the engine fires up; the other two stay off. The oil light comes on when the oil is drained; the other two stay off. The ECU light and the oil light come on when the key is turned on and the oil is drain; the E brake light is off. The problem is that the E Brake light now ONLY comes on when the starter is engaged. I can turn the key on and no light while pushing the button under the handbrake in and out. I can drive around pushing the button in and out, no light. It only comes on when the starter is cranking the engine over. My question is how is this possible considering the other two lights work exactly like they are supposed to when they are supposed to?

Begin novice automotive electrical bashing. I can take it.
Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landsailer wrote:
I checked the incoming power for the brake light switch in the dash and found a switched power lead that was always on (accept when key is off). I tapped into that to run the two low amperage lights. The switches for the lights are the ECU and a sensor in the oil pan; both complete the circuit by connecting to ground. Yes, I installed an inline fuse for this setup.

Simple test, assuming the fuse you added is for the two new lights, take out the fuse you have added. if the parking brake light is still messed up, you have broke something. The wire to tap switched 12V from the back of the seat belt/brake light module is the black wire of the plug.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Just so you are aware, the wire I tapped was the black wire on the back of the plug. I tested with a multimeter prior to the work, and it test out exactly as it was supposed to.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Happened to me once with the old brakes; washed it in the driveway and there it sat for a week. Had to beat the heck out of the left drum with a dead-blow hammer to break it free. After that incident, the van always goes for a drive after getting a bath, even with the new brakes.

unless you crane your neck to see the warning light. Why this wasn't put in the vacant space under the LED cluster right front and center, I'll always wonder.
I posted this really simple mod a couple months ago but this looks like a good place to repost it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5367836&highlight=#5367836
Having now used it since I wonder how I lived without it. Like 10¢ I'm no NBA player (Sorry, Chris) so the eBrake light was invisible to me with occasional dire consequences. This works really well, IMHO. I always see it when I glance at the gauges as I'm about to put it in gear.

A previous owner of my van simply added a red light (actually, clear bulb with a red lens cover) above the OEM light (and I'm so glad he did!):

As I recall, it's simply spliced into the original, blocked-from-view light wire.

this, i'm going to have to investigate this one further

a couple of times now i've driven off with the e brake on Embarassed

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i pulled the dash pod apart, the center cluster where the led's are, could take another, anyone not using the OXS led i think both led's can be used

there's a small black plug that'll come out

finding the wire in the multi plug in the ribbon connector that feeds the OXS light should be easy enough, snip that and splice into the brake wire then it's just a matter of renaming the OXS label in the console

the next bit below this, the top bit of the two is blocked off by the bottom of the small console above

the one below that could be used, there is space in there for a small light bulb or a couple of led's

too dark to play now, i think it might be worth a shot though

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I pulled the inline fuse and they E brake light still failed to function in the key on position, only in the start position. In addition, I tested the black wire once more, and it's keyed on at 12V and keyed off at nothing. Is it possible that there aren't enough amps on the circuit with the addition of two extra lights to power everything up? Or could it by the E brake light was wired wrong to begin with? What are the wire colors and their positions on the back of the plug? Thanks.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Bentley, there is a red/black wire input to the brake/seat belt module. This red/black wire is fed from the ign switch in the start position. So I took my spare brake/seat belt module apart to look at the circuit inside. There is a transistor to lite up the brake switch when you are starting the car. Don't know why VW did that but may be this is a indication for the driver to see if power is applied to the starter solenoid if the starter does not turn when the ign sw is in the start position. I have verified this in my van - release the hand brake and start the car, the brake light come on when I crank the engine.
So there in nothing wrong there, I suggest you pull off the hand brake cover and look at the switch and wire there. You can just ground the wire to see if the brake light come on.

Hope it helps.

Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevey88, this is why I come to samba. Awesomeness. If you were in Alaska, I would give you a couple of filets of salmon and a bag of ptarmigan breasts (assuming you are a meat-itarian). I will track down the issue in the circuit. Thanks.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you were in Alaska

Some day, I keep telling myself.
You are welcomed.

limedzeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: parking brake light won't turn off Reply with quote

I should probably start a new thread, but this seems like a similar enough issue.

84 Vanagon.

My parking brake light won't turn off when I disengage the parking brake.

Furthermore, I ran into a strange issue today where the turn signal LED just stays on, disabling the turn signals and the dash lights, UNLESS I pull the parking brake up one click. The brake doesn't seem engaged at one click so I feel ok driving it like that, however, I'm not sure what to do or where to even start looking. Any ideas?
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light switch Reply with quote

I have an 1985 and I don't have the switch for the Emergency break. I am guessing the PO removed it when he redid the carpeting...

Anyhow I can source the switch but I need to find where did the cable. I have not yet open my bentley on the problem. I can see an electrical wiring harness for the driver seatbelt. Should I started digging from there? From reading this thread I guess yes.

Any advice for a this rebuild?
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light switch Reply with quote

Nevermind.

The cable there. but the switch was jammed. I unscrewed everything realigned them and hop it is working again.
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light switch Reply with quote

I have an '87 Westy and have owned it now since 2002. Recently the parking brake light has been coming on intermittently. I researched some troubleshooting tips, investigated the switch on the floor and it works as it should. Took apart the plug on the light and did not see anything out of order.

When driving with the e-brake off the light will turn on when driving slightly downhill. Then, it turns off when the van gets onto flat ground.

I was curious if there was a ground accessible for this circuit? Or something of the sort that may be affected by a shift in the suspension?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light switch Reply with quote

I had two issues with the brake light. First is the getting old thing and forgetting. Second is I can't see it behind the steering wheel. I like all the warning annunciators right in front in the middle--oil light, coolant light and so on. So removed it and the seat belt light--really, we need that? Bought a 12 v blinking red LED and put it in the middle right over the new location of the E flasher switch. The clock never worked when I bought the car 8 years ago. Besides, I have this:
Hard to see, but under St. Christopher and behind the shift lever. An OG dash cluster clock harvested from one of my old T3's without a tach. Thus wound up with space for two extra switches.

Now I can see it and I don't forget. Had driven quite a bit with the the brake on. Not good.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light switch Reply with quote

vandoka wrote:
I have an '87 Westy and have owned it now since 2002. Recently the parking brake light has been coming on intermittently. I researched some troubleshooting tips, investigated the switch on the floor and it works as it should. Took apart the plug on the light and did not see anything out of order.

When driving with the e-brake off the light will turn on when driving slightly downhill. Then, it turns off when the van gets onto flat ground.

I was curious if there was a ground accessible for this circuit? Or something of the sort that may be affected by a shift in the suspension?

I'll guess the brake fluid level is low. The float drops on a diwnslope as the fluid sloshes forward in the container.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vandoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light switch Reply with quote

Dave, You were correct. The brake fluid was quite low. I was not aware of the dual purpose of the e-brake light. Crafty though.
stevedaugh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light switch Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but I have been chasing a similar problem. Started when I noticed dash warning light illuminates when shift lever is in Drive or Netural.

I read in prior postings that only the parking brake or low brake fluid level should illuminate the dash warning light. Parking brake works properly.
I checked the brake fluid level switch by taking it completely out and simulating full and empty. But the warning light does not illuminate. Could I have a faulty fluid level detector?

What could be the issue with the shift lever illuminating the brake warning light?

Any advice appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: