Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1L 2wd vs Syncro parts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: 2.1L 2wd vs Syncro parts Reply with quote

I picked up a used 2.1L from a 2wd to replace the 2.1L in 86 syncro. Really excited to get Syncro on the road then realized there are a few differences in parts.

The 2wd engine is complete with exhaust, hoses, alternator, etc…it was taken out for a subaru swap. It looks like the front exhaust, coolant hoses, oil filler pipe, exhaust shield are different from syncro. What else needs to be changed or is there a link/parts list/etc of parts to swap to fit 2wd 2.1 into syncro?

Appreciate advice, thank you.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L 2wd vs Syncro parts Reply with quote

Actually, I think you should just install that 2wd engine as is and then mail me your old Syncro motor. Burning my hand on coolant lines trying to reach and use the shorter oil dipstick has been a real hassle for me.

I would take everything off and reseal the motor. Intake gaskets, rear main seal, etc. At this point I would put the Syncro items on the motor. It's easy enough to compare them. If they're different, they're Syncro specific.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L 2wd vs Syncro parts Reply with quote

besides what you described, the rear main seal behind the main pulley (water shielded)
FloAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L 2wd vs Syncro parts Reply with quote

I should have included in my first post: I have a 2wd 2.1 engine, unfortunately do not have a syncro 2.1 engine, only a few parts.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L 2wd vs Syncro parts Reply with quote

Thermostat tower is different as well as the dipstick tube and dipstick, the engine hanger, coolant hoses, the metal coolant lines bolted to the case over the engine and the air filter boot from the AFM to throttle body. The rear main is the same but the crank pulley and seal are different.
I think there is a thread about this.
FloAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L 2wd vs Syncro parts Reply with quote

I appreciate all of the comments. I have been searching for similar posts, no luck finding a thread on the topic so far.

I have some of the parts mentioned above, looks like time to look some more;)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L 2wd vs Syncro parts Reply with quote

The pulley seal needs to match the pulley not the block or crank. If you have a Syncro pulley you need a Syncro seal and vise versa.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L 2wd vs Syncro parts Reply with quote

In this part of the van, most of the differences were to accommodate the body riding higher above the engine/trans on the Syncro compared to 2WD.

Here's most of the differences found in the engine compartment.

1. Thermostat housing (aluminum on Syncro, plastic on 2WD)
2. Temperature Sensor 2 (screws into aluminum thermostat housing on Syncro, slips into plastic thermostat housing on 2WD)
3. Coolant cross-over pipes (mounted at forward end of engine, different arrangement on 2WD)
4. Coolant H-manifold on Syncro (right/front of engine compartment, different arrangement on 2WD)
5. Different AFM-to-Throttle body boot (taller on Syncro)
6. Different "mustache" bar for supporting the rear end of the engine. (Syncro has taller mounts on the right and left ends of the bar.)
7. Different exhaust pipes (Syncro version shaped to clear the protection bar assembly under the engine.)
8. Different muffler support brackets (Syncro version holds muffler higher)
9. Different heat shield over the muffler (Taller on Syncro)
10. Dipstick tube (Syncro version is longer to reach the proper place at the license plate access hole.)
11. Dipstick (Syncro version is longer to match the longer tube.)
12. Oil filler tube (Syncro version is longer to reach the proper place at the license plate access hole.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: