Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dash panels in a 69 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: dash panels in a 69 Beetle Reply with quote

I recently made a local purchase of a set of VDO gauges already mounted in dash panels (for either side of the speedo). Small tach in the right side, oil temp & pressure and voltmeter on the left side. When I went to mount them into the car, I found the panels were slightly bigger than the originals, especially in the vertical dimension (probably 8 mm or so). Does anyone know about different size panels? I was always in the assumption they were the same for just about every year.
diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: dash panels in a 69 Beetle Reply with quote

I think the ones for padded dashes are slightly smaller
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: dash panels in a 69 Beetle Reply with quote

I have a similar setup with VDO gauges on left and right panels Could only get a couple of tabs on the panel to line up. Panels were bigger too. Its a 75 with padded dash any high spots i smoothed down with a heat gun (delicately). Depending on how you cut the metal of the dash the anchoring rings on each gauge seem to be more than enough to hold the panels down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: dash panels in a 69 Beetle Reply with quote

It would make sense that the panels for the padded dash would be a little smaller. Guess I will be doing some cutting and fitting of the original panels. Already did the right side since it was one gauge...we like the look of the "louvers" anyway. It's just a real PIA.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: