Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Floorpans
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prom8n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: New Floorpans Reply with quote

Well, I'm excited; picked up new floorpans at the Michigan Vintage VW show last Sunday and hauled the Thing chassis out of storage. They dropped in with just a lttle trimming, and I'll start welding today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note: The chassis was POR-15'd last fall, and sat in the garage all winter, but I had to move it out for a few weeks. The POR-15 had faded slightly due to UV exposure, just like they said, so once the pans are welded everythiing is getting re-coated and then painted black.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prom8n
Can i ask you question
How do you recognize a Ghia pan @ a show--do you measure it?
Do you know the diff. in demmentions from a bug pan?.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Still a lot of work ahead of you.

Did you get the thicker metal that goes down the side of the pan by the jack points. I used the old metal off my old pans when I replaced mine.

Ghia / Thing pans are wider. About 3" I think. It's something experience tells you when you see them.
prom8n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Thing Pans Reply with quote

Sorry to say I did not. I welded the new ones in, then went out to the scrap pile to cut the seat rails off the old pans and noticed the jackpoints with their thicker side rails. Never have had good luck with std. jack points, so I left them off. I'll probably regret it later....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: