Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Pressed Bumper Brackets
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Rear Pressed Bumper Brackets Reply with quote

How do you tell the difference between the right and left one? When you set them on the ground and look at them from the top they can go either of these 2 ways. I would think that it would be number 1, but Greg N keeps telling me that it's not how you would think so would that be number 2?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

number two. the frame rails aren't parallel, the bow out on the ends.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, I was thinking it had something to do with the shape of the bumper but that makes more sense.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, loose it looks like it should go the other way. when you try to bolt it up it becomes really obvious which way doesn't work.

it is a good idea to bolt everything up and tweak it to fit before you get it painted. make sure the decklid opens also. I had that problem once with a later bumper. looked great, just sat an inch high.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

Old thread revival... Would the same logic apply for an early 57 rear truck pressed bumper? The truck rear bumper seems to have more of a curve/bow across the back when installed as opposed to the more straight look of a bus rear. Seems like figure #1 would be applicable for a truck but I am looking for input or clarification if Lind or anyone else knows. Thanks !
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiko wrote:
Lind wrote:

Old thread revival... Would the same logic apply for an early 57 rear truck pressed bumper? The truck rear bumper seems to have more of a curve/bow across the back when installed as opposed to the more straight look of a bus rear. Seems like figure #1 would be applicable for a truck but I am looking for input or clarification if Lind or anyone else knows. Thanks !

It's the same, a quick fit and you'll see why diagram 2 works better.
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is odd, I swapped both left and right brackets and bolted them up 3 different times and still no difference or change in angle. All 3 times, they are exactly pitched like diagram #1 above.

They are Gerson rear truck pressed bumper brackets. Also, when the bumper is installed, bracket top and bottom edge sticks out and shows about 1/8" which I can't imagine is correct. I thought the bracket would fit snug inside of bumper concave surface, edge to edge but no go.

Any ideas or solutions ? Confused
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we made a mistake while assembling the rear brackets, can you please email me with some pics of your install....if we made a mistake, we will take care of it......

we (klassicfab) make the funky green panels...........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
think we made a mistake while assembling the rear brackets, can you please email me with some pics of your install....if we made a mistake, we will take care of it......

Gerson is da man! How many other parts suppliers would be out there right up front saying they might have done wrong and makin' good on it. The others are still making the same old crapy repro parts they have for years and leaving it up to us to make them fit.
Buy all your metal from Klassicfab!!
NOS PARTS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Quote:
think we made a mistake while assembling the rear brackets, can you please email me with some pics of your install....if we made a mistake, we will take care of it......

Gerson is da man! How many other parts suppliers would be out there right up front saying they might have done wrong and makin' good on it. The others are still making the same old crapy repro parts they have for years and leaving it up to us to make them fit.

the other "suppliers" dont make the parts or are in shop to fix any unseen situations, they just get the sample out across the the globe and order qty, wait for crate of crap to arrive and sell. must of the time never even trying parts once received. in some other cases, they dont get sample out to manufacture, they just found a source and order from that source and called it their own....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Quote:

I agree ! If you look at my original posts, I never once complained about the brackets or even thought it was something worth contacting him about. Goes to show that Gerson is a vendor and fabricator who cares about his product and the VW bus community's satisfaction after purchase.

It may not even be an issue with his brackets at all and could just be my single cab that is weird but either way, its awesome that he reached out so quickly without being asked ! I had a PM within 5 minutes of original post. Thanks Gerson !! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: