Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

oh man i have bumper envy
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Recently I've reinstalled the engine and revisited the transmission mount install. It's not right Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I switched out some worn red urethane mounts with CB Rhino Mounts. I did not remove the transmission. Tough but doable.
If you look closely, I fastened the nosecone mount to the frame using two acorn nuts. I tried re-using the nuts from my old mounts but there is little to no clearance for a wrench or socket using those nuts. The Rhino mount has a thick ridge that is very close to the hole where the frame mounting stud installs.
The acorn nuts were taller (thicker) and I was able get a bit more bite with a wrench. I initially thought the nuts were metric. It turns out they are 7/16" If I were able to get the torque needed I'm sure they would have stripped out. Additionally, the transmission ground strap is not connected to the frame stud. There was no room for that either. It's just a paperweight the way I had it connected.

What to do?

I searched "Rhino Mounts". Several threads were returned with a couple mentioning the clearance issues.
The front studs are 1.5 x 10mm . What I needed was a nut that would stand off enough so I could get a wrench or socket on it.
I found 30mm "coupler" nuts that fit the bill. They also gave me place to fasten the transmission ground strap to the frame.

Problem solved and torqued!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Thanks to my Samba connection nearby (Charley) I now have a proper fuel tank for my ghia!

While I have the experts checking this out I was wondering what goes trough chassis where I am pointing in the photo?

Fearful for looting I won't provide the GPS coordinates to this basement treasure but I remain in Awe!

1970 Ghia body off restoration in process
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

It's only my humble opinion, but I think that's not an original hole.
I also had a few extra ones, but bought a "rubber plug set" and sealed them up. I also used plugs to cover up the drilled holes needed for spraying cavity wax in some areas.

Best Regards,
Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

So..... I drove mine. The first time with numberplates, it's real maiden voyage. I'm really humbled, because 95% works like it should.

It's a high number considering I did everything apart from bodywork Cool .
It didn't really sink in, maybe because it went so well, first try...... Embarassed

I need to sort out the oil cooler thermostat (stuck open), maybe have an allignment done (I used the string method and although it's drivable, I want to be sure that someone in the know checks it), and I have to add an extra ground to the fuel sender (it's ground is hit and miss).

Best Regards, from (finally!) another Ghia driver.
Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

pkbghia wrote:

Santa Clause has a Ghia?

Seriously though, I have a 70.
I’m jealous of your gas tank.
I’ll look at mine and see if I have that hole and what if anything is shoved in it.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Just a short trip out around the local back roads to warm up the engine before an oil change. Four Imperial pints of 30 weight and a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil. Smile

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

pkbghia wrote:
Thanks to my Samba connection nearby (Charley) I now have a proper fuel tank for my ghia!

While I have the experts checking this out I was wondering what goes trough chassis where I am pointing in the photo?

Fearful for looting I won't provide the GPS coordinates to this basement treasure but I remain in Awe!

I have a hole in the same location. It looks much bigger than yours. 1972 KG.
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Still haven't figured out the hole near fuel filler or the santa siting??!!

This week I did some "stock" work and cleaned up my oil bath air cleaner.

I had some question for the experts regarding how the wire from the thermostat vanes is connected to the oil bath. I have been looking for some pictures but haven't had any luck. Any thoughts?

I plan to reconstruct the whole EVAP system as well.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

What a coincidence, I cleaned my oil bath air cleaner as well today.

I have a 71 though and it has a thermostat on the air cleaner - it doesn't have a cable. Here's a BAT auction for a 70 and if you look at the pictures, you might be able to zoom in and find what you need.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-9/

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

PKB, in your 5th picture, there is a bracket by the hose clamp. The cable goes through it, the outer casing is clamped there and the end of the cable loops over the small bar on the filter.

Pic to follow.
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

PKB here are pics of the oil bath, and fuel filler hose. There is not a hole like in your pics.. These are from my 70 Ghia, it came stock as an autistic, and I had it converted to a manual. I am the second owner so in those pics, that is how it came from the factory. Kent

pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Thanks for pics and response!

Kent, where is the cable connected after it leave the thermostat vanes on the fan housing? There is a cable connector that looks like it receives a sheet metal screw but I can't figure out where to put it. The outer housing on the cable is in pretty rough shape but I am figuring I can replace it with some cable covering from an old 10 speed bike in my shed!

Kurt

pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Marc,

I checked that BAT link and I think I got it. My cable outer housing is a little brittle to make that bend. Will look into the 10 speed. My son does not need all 10 gears!

kurt

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

pkbghia wrote:
Marc,

I checked that BAT link and I think I got it. My cable outer housing is a little brittle to make that bend. Will look into the 10 speed. My son does not need all 10 gears!

kurt

After all, priorities matter! Laughing

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Kurt
Here are a couple pics of the entire cable. With that big loop it works, mine is stiff too. And looking at my pis, looks like I need to clean my engine compartment more!

Kent

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Did a bunch of little things this last week since the weather was good and not too many online meetings, forgot to take pics of most.
Installed the door window felts, what a hassle, new repops are good, but new repop felt clips suck, some locked in the holes, others didn't and broke. Had a few leftover originals, so used those where the bad ones didn't lock.

Finally got around to adding the front blinker wire covers that route from the blinker rubber to the headlight bucket. Thanks to some Samba members for helping out on those, you know who you are!

The worse thing I worked on was mounting those Bakelite heater extensions that connect from the heat tube under the back seat and then route to the motor. Tried everything to get them over the torsion tubes, definitely something that should be done if you have the body off before remounting. Ended up having to grind down most of the mount area except for where the bolts connect and was then able to slip them into an impossible area. Shoved on them hard, got them to hit the heater pipes, but they weren't going to go flush against the body. May try wiggling them out again and fabricating some kind of spacer with that closed cell foam and try again.

You really can see how many little things there are on these cars when you rebuild from the ground up!! But still fun to learn.....I keep telling myself!!!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Jeff,

I learned that lesson myself. I am 3+ years into my 70 body off restoration and I actually posed the question "what things should I make sure I do before dropping the body on?" Unfortunately nobody commented on those bakelite tubes. I also modified with a little creative grinding and made it work.

Learning lots, having fun, soon on the road!

pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

My next project is dropping the engine since my clutch is not clutching and it appears the push out bearing is the culprit. Those little doodangers that hold it in place are likely the problem. I was not too happy with how that installation went.....

kurt

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hi Kurt, yep those are the ones. I think I asked previously how to get those things on and believe you posted your pics. I did the same thing based on your pics, thanks for that. I can't find any bolts that match those to mount to the body. Do you happen to have a pic of the bolts or know the size? I'll have to find some maybe a little extra length to reach since I couldn't get the mount base flush against the body wall.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 150, 151, 152 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 151 of 166

Jump to: