Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Having shelled-out a couple of hundred $ for the quality CuLayer LEDs for my running/brake lights a couple of weeks ago I thought I try the single LEDs for my indicators/turn signals.

I bought these from the UK supplier and it worked out at around 20 GBP for the two: http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/

Link

These single LEDs are pretty much generic and are available from plenty of suppliers worldwide.

Hi John, they look brilliant Smile Ive been following a few people in the oval forums who have used a blinking led in their semaphores and run into problems when using their headlights and semaphores at the same time. Just wondering if you have had chance to run all the lights at once? if so any issues? cheers... Anthony

No problems so far. I swapped out my old thermal indicator relay for a solid state one before installing the LEDs and it all works like a charm. Smile

kiwighia68 wrote:
I see you also keep a plastic tub under the engine of your car, John. Catching oil spill? Do all VW aircooled engines leak oil? Do they have to?

Ha! I know you've been around aircooled VWs long enough to know none of them leak..."they just mark their spot" Not a major spill...just a minor irritant but only an irritant, if you let it. Wink

BTW that's not a tub...it's a photographic developing dish.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
otahuhu wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Having shelled-out a couple of hundred $ for the quality CuLayer LEDs for my running/brake lights a couple of weeks ago I thought I try the single LEDs for my indicators/turn signals.

I bought these from the UK supplier and it worked out at around 20 GBP for the two: http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/

Link

These single LEDs are pretty much generic and are available from plenty of suppliers worldwide.

Hi John, they look brilliant Smile Ive been following a few people in the oval forums who have used a blinking led in their semaphores and run into problems when using their headlights and semaphores at the same time. Just wondering if you have had chance to run all the lights at once? if so any issues? cheers... Anthony

No problems so far. I swapped out my old thermal indicator relay for a solid state one before installing the LEDs and it all works like a charm. Smile

kiwighia68 wrote:
I see you also keep a plastic tub under the engine of your car, John. Catching oil spill? Do all VW aircooled engines leak oil? Do they have to?

Ha! I know you've been around aircooled VWs long enough to know none of them leak..."they just mark their spot" Not a major spill...just a minor irritant but only an irritant, if you let it. Wink

BTW that's not a tub...it's a photographic developing dish.

Kiwi, If it did not drip oil....how would John know it had any in it? Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
pilota
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

So what started as new rear shoes for the Ghia morphed into new drums, hardware, and shoes. This is now leading to new front disk pads, new tires, new shocks..... the list goes on. Yeah, one thing seems to always lead to another.
Last week I had the driver side pan replaced. Which meant I had to remove 1/2 the carpet and 1/2 the seat belts, etc. sure looks nice under there now. It was rotted out after 46 yrs, as I said to the welder, should last another 46 huh?
bugpowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Prepped out my drivers quarter to weld in a replacement taIL light section. It was beyond repairable. I also pulled the tranny and engine out of a donor Ghia.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Block sanding, and block sanding, and block sanding....
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Block sanding, and block sanding, and block sanding....

And then when your done....you can start block sanding some more. Crying or Very sad
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Backed her out if the garage so I could clean up. Now, where was I... Oh yeah, more block sanding.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ghiaride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hi My 71 Ghia has had new brakes , master cylinder, carb rebuilt , but I need to drop the engine to do a manual conversion. I have 98% of the parts to do it .
But after researching all of my books (4) it says to remove the electric connections and all of the auto stick parts. That is not a problem. My question
is does the muffler need to also be removed , because after removing the rear pan around the heat riser tubes it looks like the muffler is right up against the
rear of the engine compartment rubber seal and the rear edge of the engine compartment itself. I imagine after the engine is being supported by the car jack
on plywood and the 4 bolts have been removed and I try to pull backward to
disengage the engine from the transmission there is NO clearance to do that . Its going to hit the rear edge and prevent rearward movement . Any one find that to be the case? I never pulled a Vw engine but have done my 944
and other types.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

you may need to remove the exhaust. There isn't a lot of wiggle room, and that's what you need...room to wiggle it. Get the back end of the car higher than you think. If you remove a tire you can slide engine out that side and not have to pull it under the rear valence which is low.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

As soon as you have the engine down, you can also tip it back and pull it out to clear the dog house under the valence. Good luck.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Arriving at the All Air-cooled Gathering in Flanders, New Jersey, on 17Sep17 in my '71 spice red Karmann Ghia cabriolet and seeing Vince Vespe's all original cherry red '65 gave me pause. To my old eyes the colors appeared almost the same until the sun came out and the metallic flecks in the spice red paint lit up. Photo credits and thanks go to Rob "MrBreeze" who graciously gave me permission to post his photos here. It was a great get-together. Vince took first place in the Karmann Ghia cabriolet category, and I was right behind him Smile

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

excellent example of convertible ghia cousins, congrats to both.
Looks like red is a popular color choice.
ghiaride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply about removing the muffler. I plan on doing that soon.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Finishing install of gauges, Waiting on new decal for tacho

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
Finishing install of gauges, Waiting on new decal for tacho

Looks fantastic, well worth the effort. What gauges do you have?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Looking great Alan. Any more pics of the body?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

crocteau, a good friend and I spent several minutes looking at your fine Ghia. Really tidy work on the Type 4 upright conversion engine, and the rest of the car. We also noticed the very fine metallic in the paint only when the sun started shining in the early afternoon. Are you happy with the engine's performance? Those 914 wheels work so well on a late Ghia. Congrat's on #2 in class!

So- today I worked a few minutes on my '64 Ghia coupe which has been in storage for 10 (gulp) years. Earlier this year when I tried to rotate the engine using the gen pulley, it would not rotate. So today I removed all spark plugs, sprayed WD-40 into the cylinders per the long straw, and squirted Marvel Mystery Oil in afterwards. I went upstairs to clean up, and after about 10 minutes I tried to rotate the pulley- and it moved! I slowly cranked the engine over about 2x using the pulley. Great. This was step 1 for the engine start-up preparations.

Next time: Set the timing, rig a small lawnmower gas tank with fresh gas, and replace the starter with a known good one. Engine is a 1641cc 1500-based single-port with stock single carb.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
crocteau, a good friend and I spent several minutes looking at your fine Ghia. ... Are you happy with the engine's performance?
Hi Rome, thanks for the kind words! I'm sorry we missed you; I knew there would be many famous Sambanistas at Flanders, but my wife and I were so caught up in seeing all the other vehicles that we hardly spent any time hanging around our own! Let me just say "happy with the engine's performance" is an understatement. The engine's sound and fury puts a big smile on my face as well as my wife's, and that for me is what life is all about. Credit goes to Jake Raby along with Len Hoffman for the heads and Chris Foley for the exhaust. All I did was bolt it in, shine it up, and piss off the neighbors.
Rome wrote:
Next time: Set the timing, rig a small lawnmower gas tank with fresh gas...
Sounds like you're anticipating gas-turned-to-gum in the fuel line? FWIW during rebuild I managed to clear my clogged line with carb cleaner, a long piece of welding wire, and a lot of patience. But you probably know that already Wink
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Having finished my "see and be seen" exercise and the resurfacing the front drive complete I was able to get my '58 out of the garage to take it for a spin.

I was still a little nervous that it wouldn't all work the way it should having suffered that feeling for far too many years. I needn't have worried, the 6volt LEDs front and rear work like a charm. Even though I haven't had a chance to try out my new Halogen 6volt H4 headlights I'm sure they will be like the proverbial, night & day. Smile

This week...10 years ago...saying hello to my '58. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John, I think the whitewalls are top shelf; a nice touch of class for a classic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 119 of 166

Jump to: