Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
John, I think the whitewalls are top shelf; a nice touch of class for a classic.

Yep, I think they're particularly effective on a black car, although Betty, the original owner never liked them.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Here is a video with many overhead drone shots of the AirCooled Gathering in Flanders NJ 2 weeks ago, in which crocteau posted the photos on the previous page. His own Ghia Cabrio is briefly seen at 4:09. What appeals to me about this event is that owners are encouraged to drive their cars and bring them to the show field, even if it is simply "driver quality" or "in progress". To me, each driver is a winner if he/she drove the car there. I regret to say that I didn't...

Link
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Here is a video with many overhead drone shots of the AirCooled Gathering in Flanders NJ 2 weeks ago...
Thanks for posting the link here! Great video and great gathering! Applause
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I saw John's post on the 6v Cu Layer LED lights so had to try my own. Here's the comparison to the filament bulb - LED on left, filament on right.

Link

With both LED's installed:

Link

LED bulb works with the Wolfsburg West 6v flasher relay. No other mods needed; plug in the bulb and go.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
I saw John's post on the 6v Cu Layer LED lights so had to try my own. Here's the comparison to the filament bulb - LED on left, filament on right.

Link

LED bulb works with the Wolfsburg West 6v flasher relay. No other mods needed; plug in the bulb and go.

It has been said that a picture is worth 1,000 words, so that video must be equivalent to a 27 chapter endorsement for those LED bulbs!

The resulting improvement is so good, that I thought for a moment I was watching a carefully crafted infomercial.

I'm sold!
... now I'm just waiting for the "Order now and we'll send you 2 full sets at no additional cost - Just pay seperate shipping and handling." offer.
Smile
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:

Link

Link

Yep replicates my experience too Pete. No question to me that LEDs are the way to go. Were yours CuLayers or Supebrites?

BTW are you running a 6v Ultima battery?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
PeteSC wrote:

Link

Link

Yep replicates my experience too Pete. No question to me that LEDs are the way to go. Were yours CuLayers or Supebrites?

BTW are you running a 6v Ultima battery?

Mine are the CuLayer units, single filament red LED.

And yes, I have an Optima 6v battery. My intent is to mount it under the rear seat, just haven't gotten around to it.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I got tired of installing wooden floors at my house so took some time out to make my Ghia even quieter. I squeezed a good layer of seamsealer into the gap between the front hood's inner and outer skins. The difference between before and after is considerable. From a tinny hollow sound to a solid clunk - what you would hear when you close the door of a modern German car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Been away for awhile and busy, but this week I was able to clean up all my window tracks, and the lifts. Unfortunately the pieces that actually hold the glass were both rusted and broken, so replacements are in order. Cleaned up the wiper motor and attachments and starter. More nuts, bolts and screws to degrease, and buff to a shine. Finally found a painter that will look at my Ghia and give me an estimate this weekend.

I have a few questions:
How can I test my wiper motor to see if it is working? Can I attach it to a car battery? Which point would I attach to the motor? Switch Knob is currently attached.

I have two sets of door handles with keys. Of course one of each set is in much better condition on opposite sides. Is there a way to switch out the lock component so I can use the same key on both best handles? I think there was a discussion somewhere here but can't find it, any help?

I really need some opinions on this one: When the guy did the restoration on my body, he welded up the antenna hole. I can't decide if I want to punch a new hole back in the fender after all the fine bodywork to mount a stock antenna, and I am leaning more toward mounting an updated low pro "shark Fin" antenna on the rear deck, between the deck lid and the edge of the Vert top. This would require only a small hole to run the cable. I know the purists will say go back to the original, respect that. Since I am not restoring it to OE Stock, I want to add a few new "modern elements". OR can I get away with one of the antennas that mount on the drivers side windshield post? Could this mounting position get in the way of my convertible top when opening and closing?

I am taking all opinions/votes on this question!

Thanks fellas!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Your wiper motor can be tested with a 12v power source ie. battery.

I personally think a "Shark Fin" antenna will look totally wrong on your (or any) Ghia. Are you planning an aftermarket sound system? Perhaps you can try a hidden antenna?

I like Crutchfield and have this in our boat. Average reviews but works for me.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA20/Universal-...&awat=

Glad your making progress!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Been away for awhile and busy, but this week I was able to clean up all my window tracks, and the lifts. Unfortunately the pieces that actually hold the glass were both rusted and broken, so replacements are in order. Cleaned up the wiper motor and attachments and starter. More nuts, bolts and screws to degrease, and buff to a shine. Finally found a painter that will look at my Ghia and give me an estimate this weekend.

I have a few questions:
How can I test my wiper motor to see if it is working? Can I attach it to a car battery? Which point would I attach to the motor? Switch Knob is currently attached.

I have two sets of door handles with keys. Of course one of each set is in much better condition on opposite sides. Is there a way to switch out the lock component so I can use the same key on both best handles? I think there was a discussion somewhere here but can't find it, any help?

I really need some opinions on this one: When the guy did the restoration on my body, he welded up the antenna hole. I can't decide if I want to punch a new hole back in the fender after all the fine bodywork to mount a stock antenna, and I am leaning more toward mounting an updated low pro "shark Fin" antenna on the rear deck, between the deck lid and the edge of the Vert top. This would require only a small hole to run the cable. I know the purists will say go back to the original, respect that. Since I am not restoring it to OE Stock, I want to add a few new "modern elements". OR can I get away with one of the antennas that mount on the drivers side windshield post? Could this mounting position get in the way of my convertible top when opening and closing?

I am taking all opinions/votes on this question!

Thanks fellas!

I'm with the King re the shark fin. Two post antenna can look good down low on driver side.
Gabe can helpout with the lock key issue.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54110

2 post antenna on a bus.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Thanks King, I get what you are saying re the "shark fin". I was looking at some small low pro models, not like something you see on a BMW, but it makes sense what you are saying. Since I will also be running a Sirius Satellite radio, I will have that antenna on the back deck since it is magnetic and only about the size of a silver dollar. I like that hidden antenna, when not listening to the satellite I like to listen to the FM channels. Since boats are mostly fiberglass,I can't see much interference, but on a Ghia, where would you recommend to mount the antenna sensor?

Darrell, I like the look of the twin mount antenna, just wonder how it would look mounted on my windshield post. Didn't early Ghias have it mounted there? Or maybe that was on early bugs just below the windshield edge. Either way, I'll mock something up before I would mount it to get an idea how it would look. Thanks for the door lock info as well.

Thanks again Fellas, off the the painter tomorrow to see if he will take on putting some color on my ride, last major step before reassembly! I know a lot of you have been there.

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Thanks King, I get what you are saying re the "shark fin". I was looking at some small low pro models, not like something you see on a BMW, but it makes sense what you are saying. Since I will also be running a Sirius Satellite radio, I will have that antenna on the back deck since it is magnetic and only about the size of a silver dollar. I like that hidden antenna, when not listening to the satellite I like to listen to the FM channels. Since boats are mostly fiberglass,I can't see much interference, but on a Ghia, where would you recommend to mount the antenna sensor?

Darrell, I like the look of the twin mount antenna, just wonder how it would look mounted on my windshield post. Didn't early Ghias have it mounted there? Or maybe that was on early bugs just below the windshield edge. Either way, I'll mock something up before I would mount it to get an idea how it would look. Thanks for the door lock info as well.

Thanks again Fellas, off the the painter tomorrow to see if he will take on putting some color on my ride, last major step before reassembly! I know a lot of you have been there.

I got one of these power antennas as well . A nice solution.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595784&highlight=automatic+antenna
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I got one of these power antennas as well . A nice solution.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595784&highlight=automatic+antenna[/quote]

Thanks Swavanada, I have looked at these as well, but still reluctant to cut a new hole in the fender. Still one to consider though.

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Been driving my '58, while the good weather lasts, around the narrow lanes close to home.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Been driving my '58, while the good weather lasts, around the narrow lanes close to home.

That looks very much like New Zealand John. Time to pay us a visit, maybe? We have a RHD Ghia for you to drive.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

That looks very much like New Zealand John. Time to pay us a visit, maybe? We have a RHD Ghia for you to drive.

Ahh...I'd love to, have a cousin in Tauranga but it's getting my ass into gear and the fact that the tedium of flying that distance puts me off. What happened to those low orbit hyper-jets we were supposed to be getting?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

That's a beautiful car John, and a perfect area to be driving it. Thanks for sharing!!

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
That's a beautiful car John, and a perfect area to be driving it. Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks Jeff.

Many of the lanes are so narrow (single width) they have regular passing places in case you meet a car coming the other way. If I have a car on my tail I always pull over and let them pass...then I can follow at a faster pace watching for their brake lights. Their brake lights let you know if something is coming the other way...I have drums all round and would have to drive slowly around the bends if I was leading. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 120 of 166

Jump to: