Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Got my seats back! They are far better than I ever imagined! These seats feel better than the seats that are in my modern mazda. The seats are a completely custom job, no pre-made panels or anything. Before they were reuphulstered, I could look through the driver's seat at the floor...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Those look great Bloku! Post another pic when you get them installed. Are they leather or some type of Naugahyde?

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Thank you rbsurfguy! They are actually made of a marine grade vinyl. It is visually very close to the original materials. In the pictures, the door cards and the back seat are the og fabrics for reference.

Many thanks to Katie at Long Lane Upholstery out of Carthage, Missouri for doing these seats (excelent pricing as well). If anyone needs there seats done right and lives around there, this is the place to go!

Here are the seats installed. Please forgive the lighting in the pics it is a particularly overcast day here in OK...

1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

They look really great Bro. I like the look with you Ghia color!

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
Got my seats back! They are far better than I ever imagined! These seats feel better than the seats that are in my modern mazda. The seats are a completely custom job, no pre-made panels or anything. Before they were reuphulstered, I could look through the driver's seat at the floor...

Very nice indeed. Good work.
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Had been living with a intermittent no start problem all summer and it finally went to full time no start so I had to address it.
Problem was turning the key to start would not spin the starter, just get a click. Several off/on's would get it to spin, that is until it wouldn't LOL.

Crawled under and hooked up a remote starter switch and the starter spun every time, starter good.

Traced wiring to a splice connector behind the dash (solid red to red/black) and another connector under the rear seat (red to red).
Opened connector at dash and at 1st I read 12v from ign switch when turned.
Hooked up a jumper and applied 12v directly to the red/black wire running back to the starter. Starter spun every time.
Must have been a lose splice connector I thought.
Cleaned up and reconnected red to red/black spade lugs in the splice connector and the starter wouldn't spin. Hummm I thought, this ain't making no sense.
I then checked and rechecked that splice connector again and again.
So, long story short, I got the red wire from the ign switch to fail several times at that splice and decided to swap the ign switch.
That fixed the problem.
Swapping the ign switch isn't too bad but sliding the combination turn signal/wiper switch in and out of the steering column is tight. I ended up spraying alittle silicon in the column to help slide the switches back in.
Surprisingly I got the plastic ign switch from a local flaps for $9.

Also found a loose ground that caused intermittent right front turn signal, parking light failures.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Someone asked to se some more photos of the 61, All rubbers now installed now doing all the little details that take forever and are very frustrating.. thank god for red wine!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

This looks SWEET Bro. I can't wait to get mine to at least this stage! Couple of questions: where did you get the breather box and the battery hold down? They are what I am looking for as well. Good on ya mate!

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Your attention to detail is top notch Alan, looks great. Where did you purchase your swan neck mirrors?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Your attention to detail is top notch Alan, looks great. Where did you purchase your swan neck mirrors?

Xener, you can search the classifieds for mirrors.
You'd be looking for swan neck or albert mirrors.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

The mirror I am running looks similar. I pieced mine together using an original neck and Albert parts I found at a swap meet. Pics...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

A local Ghia owner needed just one piece of the fender to fender trim on the sides of his Ghia so I took my old, refurbished set off and replaced it with a new stainless steel set. The old ones came off the clips with a little coaxing. I used a plastic knife from a fast-food place.

The new ones went on just as easliy. Nice, tight fit on the KGP&R clips.

Just saying.
jimwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I have a 69 and replaced the dash pad and fake wood dash which is more work than it appears. I also too the wheels to Les Schwab who will powder coat each wheel for $30 which is unreal. I found the original seat material and am having the seats recovered locally. Also the company that has interior materials is doing the door panels to match the originals. Then it's going to House of Ghia to dial in electrical.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Jeff,
I got the breather box from a guy here in Australia but I have sen them advertised here new on SAMBA. heres his link
http://rodpenroseracing.com.au/breather-boxes/506-breather-box-50mm-deep-aluminium-an-8-fitting.html

The Swan mirrors again from SAMBA classified adverts.
Alan
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Went to fit the washer switch but its been stored for 7 years and the rubber has rotted.

Does anyone know if you can get a replacement as I wanted to keep the Ivory knob style switch?
Also as Ive fitted a new 12V armature motor so will this work anyway or do I need a new unit?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
Jeff,
I got the breather box from a guy here in Australia but I have sen them advertised here new on SAMBA. heres his link
http://rodpenroseracing.com.au/breather-boxes/506-breather-box-50mm-deep-aluminium-an-8-fitting.html

Thanks Alan, I also found what appears to be the same basic model on CIP1 website, very similar if not the same. Deciding which to go with.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I fitted a tach to my '68 and intslled it in the hole where the clock used to be. The tach works and with a stock transmission and 1641 motor gives a reading of 2000 rpm at 40 MPH. I haven't taken it to the motorway yet to test its accuracy at 60 MPH.

Out of the box:

Installed:

I've owned VW's before (4, to be exact) but never one with a tach.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Looks great! I plan on doing the same in my 68... What's the switch underneath for?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Looks great! I plan on doing the same in my 68... What's the switch underneath for?

There was a hole where that switch is now in the dash when I bought the car. The rear window demister switch on these cars was a bit of an afterthought - going under the dash somewhere, I think - so I filled the hole with a provisional switch for the day I have to install the demister components. (If I ever get there.)
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Is that where the brake test light/switch goes? I think mine was there before I gutted the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 121 of 166

Jump to: