Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Is that where the brake test light/switch goes? I think mine was there before I gutted the car.

Tha brake test light switch is on the other side of the steering column on my RHD Ghia.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Right. Looked through your build thread and noticed it was RHD. 😉
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Was surfing the net today and ran across this very useful and informative "How To" video for engine removal on a 1967 Ghia, NOT!

It was painful and funny to watch, but in the end just kind of left me thinking, was this video really necessary to share with the world. You can be the judge, please just don't shoot the messenger Laughing

https://youtu.be/KoI2v3kp_20
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Wow. I took apart the top end, makes it easier to get out IMO. Can easily tip the motor back and slide under the rear apron. The first time is always a learning experience... My first time was with my previous 70 beetle.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

What I did "to my Ghia this week" was to break the speedo glass.

Mmm!

Does anyone know the precise diameter of a '68 Ghia's speedo glass? I measured after putting the shards togetehr again but I get different sizes: - 11.4 cm and 11.3 cm - or 4.5 inches and 4 and 5 sixteenth of an inch.

Yeah, I know. I can take the speedo out and measure, but I don't want to take it out until I have the glass.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Do you have the ring off? Maybe you can get an idea of the size by comparing the ring and the face of the speedo. My 68 speedometer is out... But don't want to break mine too.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Do you have the ring off? Maybe you can get an idea of the size by comparing the ring and the face of the speedo. My 68 speedometer is out... But don't want to break mine too.

I'm going to have to prize the ring off without damaging the chrome face, but I don't want to start until I have the new glass. I measure the inside diameter of the ring to be 9.7cm and the outside diameter 10.8cm.

My glass measurements (11.3 and 11.4cm respectively) are greater than the outside diameter of the ring, which, I think, means I can go to 11.3cm when I order the glass without fear of it being too large.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

VWRESTOMODMAN wrote:
Was surfing the net today and ran across this very useful and informative "How To" video for engine removal on a 1967 Ghia, NOT!

It was painful and funny to watch, but in the end just kind of left me thinking, was this video really necessary to share with the world. You can be the judge, please just don't shoot the messenger Laughing

https://youtu.be/KoI2v3kp_20

xzener wrote:
Wow. I took apart the top end, makes it easier to get out IMO. Can easily tip the motor back and slide under the rear apron. The first time is always a learning experience... My first time was with my previous 70 beetle.

I cheat ----- However, I'm a HUGE fan of the 2 floor jack system

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

How in the heck did you manage that ? If it's something you would rather not talk about i understand Wink
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

How in the heck did you manage that ? If it's something you would rather not talk about i understand :wink:

I find a new way of making a fool of myself every day.

I was trying to reconnect the speedo cable and must have pushed too hard. The problem is that the cable had snapped leaving too short a piece protruding to fit into its slot in the speedo. So I pushed and pushed until the glass shattered.

The lady at the glass shop greeted me and said, "You've been here before, have you?"

Indeed I had been.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
swavananda wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

How in the heck did you manage that ? If it's something you would rather not talk about i understand Wink

I find a new way of making a fool of myself every day.

I was trying to reconnect the speedo cable and must have pushed too hard. The problem is that the cable had snapped leaving too short a piece protruding to fit into its slot in the speedo. So I pushed and pushed until the glass shattered.

The lady at the glass shop greeted me and said, "You've been here before, have you?"

Indeed I had been.

Smile There's no fooling her - the lady behind the counter at the glass shop could apparently see right through you.

kiwighia wrote:
My glass measurements (11.3 and 11.4cm respectively) are greater than the outside diameter of the ring, ...

You shoudn't feel too bad about breaking that glass then - it was obviously too large to begin with and must have been under tremendous pressure all squeezed in under that chrome ring.

Wink
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hey Flatdude, I'm a cheater too, I use an engine stand and a lift, saves the knees and back, which is good at my age. I also employ the disapearing rear apron method as well on some of my vehicles. Sure like your motor Very Happy
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

So after almost 11 years since i began the tear down for a full restoration of my Ghia, I finally got it over to a painter that accepted the job. Since the body work was mostly done, except for the blocking and final undercoats, I am hoping to have it back in about five weeks....Then the real fun begins!

That said, I need to figure out the best order for reassembly, I assume wiring first. Since many of you have done this, would you care to share your tips on best assembly order? Please respond to this specific request on my resto link below so we don't change this topic. Thanks.

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I moved my Optima 6v battery from the engine compartment to underneath the rear seat. Side mount battery tray is from Kartek and fits nicely. The tray is mounted with the terminal side on the raised part of the pan and the battery bottom in the recessed part, so it's at an angle, giving the terminals plenty of clearance from any possible interference. I have terminal covers on order from Amazon as additional insurance.

The Optima is a great performing battery, but doesn't have a vintage look and appears out of place to me in the engine compartment. I think this is cleaner looking.

Laguna1116
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Bought my first Ghia today. 1973 convertible project. Just planning to reassemble and get her back on the road for now. Can't wait to drive her.
1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Work in Progress
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Laguna1116 wrote:
Bought my first Ghia today. 1973 convertible project. Just planning to reassemble and get her back on the road for now. Can't wait to drive her.

Good, make sure you post pictures and take advantage of the expertise on offer here. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryma10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Purchased my first Ghia this week!!

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Awesome! Congrats and welcome!! Looks really good. I have a question, is this a right hand drive or left? I ask because unless I am seeing things, the Karmann badge in the pic is on the left side, I thought they were always on the right side?

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I reactivate the insurance and pulled it out of it's slumber. Drove it for a few days while the wife used my daily driver, and it seemed happy to be out on the road again, especially the freeway.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Mocked up the stock motor today. Still waiting on the Hoover Bit to complete the dog house conversion. The fan is rubbing the shroud, so another shim or two is in order. Went together rather easy. Luckily, I won't need the ugly angled fuel pump or the intake extender. Turned out nice. I do like the flat gloss black look.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 122 of 166

Jump to: