Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Registered my new-to-me 1973 leatherbeige over Bahia Red convertible in New York.

Had it shipped it from California in January and properly stored since: I've only spent 10 minutes with it!

Hope to give it a good look-over in the next couple weeks.

Anticipation is building, for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Jimbuffalo wrote:
Registered my new-to-me 1973 leatherbeige over Bahia Red convertible in New York.

Had it shipped it from California in January and properly stored since: I've only spent 10 minutes with it!

Hope to give it a good look-over in the next couple weeks.

Anticipation is building, for sure.

Congratulations on acquiring your new Karmann Ghia!

Coincidentally, my anticipation is building as well ... to see a photo of that little Leatherbeige over Bahia Red Cabriolet. Smile
Jimbuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Here you go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Shocked Wow, very clean, Congrats.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
:shock: Wow, very clean, Congrats.

Can't argue with nice. Beautiful Ghai, well presented.
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Beautiful Ghia, nice find

Didn't realize that global warming has made Buffalo a tropical climate, love the palm trees
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

myghiarocks wrote:

Didn't realize that global warming has made Buffalo a tropical climate, love the palm trees

Acquiring a Karmann Ghia - particularly one as clean and beautiful as that - can make your whole world a better place to live!

Very Happy
Jimbuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

myghiarocks wrote:

Buffalo NY is often misunderstood. Smile I live here by choice.

The plan right now is to wait for some spring rains to wash winter from the roads...certainly not before April. This gives me time to carve out room in the garage.

I'll give it a good looking over between now and then and start seeing what air-cooled power feels like again. Thanks for the props.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Okay. This week amongst other things, I determined I had a 4.37 instead of the 3.88 I thought I had and that I should have had from the beginning. It’s been a 24 year story. Maybe I should tell it. I told some of it in the thread I started about how to figure out what R&P I had.

It’s an ongoing saga and as I’m about to refresh the car after 12 years in the garage I’m thinking a video/pictorial thing might be fun. I’m amassing materiale for an engine and suspension rework as well as touching up some paint work that’s been scratched a bit over the years.

So that brings up some questions. Should I start my own thread for this and in what arena? Can I post video here or do I just link to you tube? I may post the raw footage as I shoot it but I did download a freeware thing for video editing so I can compile the footage into some semblance, put some voiceover and music behind it and see how groovy I can make it.

Here it was a long time ago.

I need to get a picture of how she currently rests.[/youtube]
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hi Jeff
Absolutely YES to starting a thread. In the Ghia Forum look for the button "start new topic". and you are away.

Yes to posting your photos but please put them up here on The Samba because we can control the upkeep of them.
Recently a lot of really good threads have been junked courtesy of policy changes on Photo Bucket and the like.

Yes to video links to YouTube or Vimeo. There are buttons on the second row of the "Edit Post" frame (Right hand side) that will insert the HTML markers for you. SO 1) click the required button, 2) past the URL off your clipboard, 3) click the button again to add the HTML end code.

Sometimes that all happens at the bottom of the edit window so if you cannot see it just look down the bottom and then drag the link up to where it needs to be in the text.

Fill your boots!
Nicholas
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I continue to clean and classify parts in preparation for reassembly once my Ghia is back from paint. One specific item I did was to take a chance on rebuilding the door striker following the excellent instructions in the "How To" door striker replacement/rebuild thread posted by @Era Vulgaris. The only problem I had was I didn't have to hammer so hard and didn't get to swear as much as he did, except for"Wow, that was F%@*#& easy!" I'll add my findings to that thread, but I think I figured out why he may have had such a difficult time. Find that thread here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688527

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Got new pressure plate installed, some clean up, new axle seals, got motor back into ghia and since my car is green...took it out on St. Patrick's Day. Lots of green shirts, hats...I was the only one with a green car. Very Happy
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Awesome Darrel, I love the color you chose for your Ghia, very classic looking!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

^^Thanks. Took car to work today, biggest decision...ragtop open, ragtop closed...70+ degrees out...hmmm...

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
^^Thanks. Took car to work today, biggest decision...ragtop open, ragtop closed...70+ degrees out...hmmm...

The only thing that's not nice about this car is that it's not parked in my garage.

70 degrees F? That's a nice winter's day here in Auckland. Definitely a ragtop open kind of day.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Come and get it Kiwi!!
Just bring yours as a ..you know...collateral. Free for one year, bring it back and you can have yours back. Smile You will enjoy rolling onto the gas pedal with 2 litres in back.
Perfect driving weather today!, Rain expected tuesday-friday, 6 inches Shocked
Sunday i'll be out and about looking for VW parts at Drag Days swap meet. Season has officially started. Smile
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Come and get it Kiwi!!
Just bring yours as a ..you know...collateral. Free for one year, bring it back and you can have yours back. :) You will enjoy rolling onto the gas pedal with 2 litres in back.
Perfect driving weather today!, Rain expected tuesday-friday, 6 inches :shock:
Sunday i'll be out and about looking for VW parts at Drag Days swap meet. Season has officially started. :)

My car runs very sweetly now. Engine run in after about 3000 miles and I was able to cheat behind a Ferrari the other day and take it up to 80mph - it felt effortless.

I have a shortblock with the right H- series number for my Ghia's year plus a set of Kadrons and I'm thinking of building a very smooth very quiet motor as my next project. While 1641 is cheap and easy, I've been toying with the idea to go to 1776 or slightly bigger.

The advice I have thus far is everything balanced, lightened flywheel, appropriate Engle cam, CB conrods and a particular Vintage Speed exhaust that I can't find anywhere.

And you say...?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Concur on balancing.
Yes 12/13lb flywheel.
Cam is kind of a personal choice thing in my book, just match lifters and cam.
Conrods, i think size/length is more important than brand. Inexpensive unitechs are plenty good for up 1800cc.
I like any merged exhaust system, sidewinder is nice.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
...and a particular Vintage Speed exhaust that I can't find anywhere.

Email the man himself, spell out exactly what you want...always very accommodating as Nicholas can attest: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=email&u=66595
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

This week I shot an unveiling video of Rose, my 70 that's been under a cover for about 12 years. I downloaded Shotcut which is a video editing freeware and started to learn it so I can start a thread on it and post video of the refresh process.

Link

Here is an introductory video of all the analog photos I scanned in which shows the original restoration. I should have taken a lot more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 123 of 166

Jump to: