Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I also pulled the tank so I can repaint the tank and the trunk and do some electrical work to add an electric fuel pump, an electric washer pump, turn signal switch and an ignition switch since I've had NOS units for about 20 years now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CNsylvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I want a Ghia so bad, so I went ahead and started the process by buying a clock from a Ghia - just to say I have a part now.

Now all I need is the car to go around it (no pun intended).

Just my luck it will come with a working clock..... Smile
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

CNsylvester wrote:
I want a Ghia so bad, so I went ahead and started the process by buying a clock from a Ghia - just to say I have a part now.

Now all I need is the car to go around it (no pun intended).

Just my luck it will come with a working clock..... Smile

No it won't, it's a Ghia. Wink

Good first purchase. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

This weekend The Karmann Ghia Owner's Club of GB had a gathering at the south coast seaside resort of Bournemouth. It's 20 miles from where I live so my friend Dave and I decided we'd meet them yesterday on their driving tour around The New Forest in Hampshire.

Dave has recently acquired a very well known, (in KG Owner's Club circles) '72 Saturn Yellow/Black stock coupe.

We met them at a strategic point in The Forest and I set up my point 'n' shoot on a tripod and shot this rudimentary video of them running past...not my forte in afraid.

Link

After meeting up we drove to one of my favoured picture locations and I took this profile of Dave's '72...

and one of mine of course...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
This weekend The Karmann Ghia Owner's Club of GB had a gathering at the south coast seaside resort of Bournemouth.
What a cool and verdant locale for a cruise! Thanks for sharing!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
This weekend The Karmann Ghia Owner's Club of GB had a gathering at the south coast seaside resort of Bournemouth. It's 20 miles from where I live so my friend Dave and I decided we'd meet them yesterday on their driving tour around The New Forest in Hampshire.

Dave has recently acquired a very well known, (in KG Owner's Club circles) '72 Saturn Yellow/Black stock coupe.

We met them at a strategic point in The Forest and I set up my point 'n' shoot on a tripod and shot this rudimentary video of them running past...not my forte in afraid. ...

Link

Nice!

At 44 seconds in, you may have captured the first videographic evidence of a wizard and his Karmann Ghia disapperating in broad daylight and in full view of muggles!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

We met them at a strategic point in The Forest and I set up my point 'n' shoot on a tripod and shot this rudimentary video of them running past...not my forte in afraid. ...

Link

Nice!

At 44 seconds in, you may have captured the first videographic evidence of a wizard and his Karmann Ghia disapperating in broad daylight and in full view of muggles!

Haha...yep I said video is out of my comfort zone...edit error. Laughing
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Finally picked up my Ghia and brought it safely home. Now the fun and scary part begins to reassemble. Have been getting lots of ideas from everyone here and will for sure request guidance. For now I am just staring at it trying to think of where to begin....lots of days and nights in the garage.

Leaving the paint shop, looks so small next to my buddies' truck.

Last one before the journey home

Safely home

Another angle, that Burgundy really shines in the sun, but looks black in the shade.

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Great color. A buddy of mine painted his boat a similar shade years ago. the official color name was something like "deepest aubergine", but I've always referred to it as "whale skin".
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Thanks. Yeah the color is actually called Burgundy Night Pearl. At first glance it actually looks Aubergine or eggplant color, but when you look closer it's more burgundy. I originally wanted BMW Ruby Black Metallic, but it had way too much black, so went with this shade. Will take a little to get use to it, but I think when I put tan shades of upholstery, it will really stand out.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Painted the trunk, the tank, the steering column, ignitions housing and a few other things.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Looks good Jeffrey, almost the same color of my Ghia, or closer to the color I was trying to obtain. Keep it going!!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Don't sweat the color. It looks good.

I looked at a lot of cars when I was trying to decide my color. That was 1994. I decided on Black Rose Metallic which was a Corvette color at the time. The next year Honda came out with an Accord that had a deeper hue with more metallic in it. I almost considered repainting it since the body was still off the pan. I guess my point is the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Apparently we have similar taste as I went with a Tan spectrum as well. Here is a link to my refresh thread if you're interested.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I've been getting a little burned-out on the interior work recently so I decided to shift my focus away from that for a bit. I've had the drop spindles on the bench for months just waiting for a decent chunk of time to swap them in, and I had some unexpected garage-time last night so I thought I'd just get things setup/prepped to do the swap this weekend...

An hour and a half later it's DONE. Laughing

The instant-gratification factor is just off the charts. The car is SO MUCH BETTER and for so much less work than I was expecting.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Lets See...
This week I painted the car and reupholstered the interior, put the body back on the pan and pushed it out into the driveway.
There are a few blemishes I missed but all in all I think it looks pretty good.

Looks like a successful Mini Me project.
Here's the full size version

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Cruised up to New York... just like I imagined it Wink
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Had oil/smoke everywhere from excessive case pressure on an otherwise well-performing engine, which I suspected was a piston issue (good guess...it had several broken compression rings). Tore down the top end, replaced P/C's with new ones from AA Performance, installed rebuilt heads, and reassembled. Runs great now.

Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I've actually been driving mine a lot lately. It seems to really like the warm weather and has been zipping along nicely. I had fun today on a freeway interchange today, and blew past several cars in the outside lane with my shoulder pressed firmly against the door, lol. I'm glad it's licensed as a regular vehicle and I can drive it as much as I want now.

I have a friend that got her first ride in the Ghia, but unfortunately it was in the so-called back seat. Her mother called me to have breakfast with them, and it turned out they had walked about 10 miles for the exercise. I offered them a ride back and of course my friend got in back so her mother could ride in front. I keep a couple of throw pillows behind the back seat, and she rested her back on those while sitting sideways. They both enjoyed the ride very much though. Her mother had never been in a car with a manual trans, and she had a hundred questions about what I was doing and how it worked.
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Just replaced my starter, most of the work done via the passenger side rear wheel well while casually sitting on the floor. The simplicity of these cars has always impressed me.
Desert Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Replaced cracked taillight lenses with Euro style
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 127 of 166

Jump to: