Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Had oil/smoke everywhere from excessive case pressure on an otherwise well-performing engine, which I suspected was a piston issue (good guess...it had several broken compression rings). Tore down the top end, replaced P/C's with new ones from AA Performance, installed rebuilt heads, and reassembled. Runs great now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like your engine jack/stand. What is it? It looks like a quasi motorcycle lift.
Surely beat the pants off my two jack method.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
Had oil/smoke everywhere from excessive case pressure on an otherwise well-performing engine, which I suspected was a piston issue (good guess...it had several broken compression rings). Tore down the top end, replaced P/C's with new ones from AA Performance, installed rebuilt heads, and reassembled. Runs great now.

I like your engine jack/stand. What is it? It looks like a quasi motorcycle lift.
Surely beat the pants off my two jack method.

Correct - it is a motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight. It's perfect for getting engines in/out. I never took the engine off of it to rebuild the top end. They sometimes go on sale for $69.99, then with a 20% coupon you can get it for $56.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycl...61632.html
Ryma10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: muffler replacement Reply with quote

Replaced my muffler with a nice new Vintage Speed stainless one!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

A few of my VW and Porsche mates join the local TR club at Hursley Park, Hampshire.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Beautiful display of metal in a great location!!! Thanks John.

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Beautiful display of metal in a great location!!! Thanks John.

Thanks Jeff, I was going to nip up the private road to the big house to take a picture but it started to get dark...so maybe I sneak in on a quiet Sunday Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mjmassa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

This week I have completed:

Dimmer relay

Seals for front fresh air vents

I am about to take off an ugly GT aftermarket wheel and reinstall the original. I have the back plate, the horn button and metal bar, and new hardware and springs from Jbugs. Anything else that I may need?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

mjmassa wrote:
This week I have completed:

Dimmer relay

Seals for front fresh air vents

I am about to take off an ugly GT aftermarket wheel and reinstall the original. I have the back plate, the horn button and metal bar, and new hardware and springs from Jbugs. Anything else that I may need?

Yep pictures...we love pictures. Wink

BTW welcome to The Samba.
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
A few of my VW and Porsche mates join the local TR club at Hursley Park, Hampshire.

I'm guessing back row: TVR 1600, MGTC, Triumph TR4 or 5 (with Surrey top), front row: some newer stuff (Capri, another TVR and Miata) your beautiful low light, 356C and '75 or '76 Porsche 914.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kurt912 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

I'm guessing back row: TVR 1600, MGTC, Triumph TR4 or 5 (with Surrey top), front row: some newer stuff (Capri, another TVR and Miata) your beautiful low light, 356C and '75 or '76 Porsche 914.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner Wink

TR4A IIRC.
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I wanted to keep old style Brake bottle but need to run a larger capacity reservoir so came up with this idea. Works really well

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I installed sound deadening from WÜrth in the wheel arches and body panels in the interior of the rear passenger area. Hard work in a cramped space, but worth (no pun intended!) the effort. My car is much quieter now. Very little road noise.

I also spent a day trying to silence the whistling/wind noise coming from the right side door window at speeds over 35 MPH. To no avail. Is this a common problem? I'd like to hear how you fixed it.

And I have a set of Pedrini 914 wheels being straightened for me. I'll know next week whether I can make them work on my Ghia.

The weather was fine in Auckland this morning so I took a drive out to Caffeine and Classics on the North Shore. There were hundreds of cars. The best I saw was a 1994 Porsche 964 Turbo - RHD and absolutely stunning. Oh, there were quite a few VWs too.

Streetsweeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Built a tranny mount for my tube chassis
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Started my nose replacement.

I used the strap to pull it tight against the new rubber seals.

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Link

alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Added external front cooler

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

A few of us flying the VW/Porsche flag at a local all-makes car show in Lymington, Hampshire today.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Beautiful cars and beautiful weather.... How come it's never that nice when I'm there LOL
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
Beautiful cars and beautiful weather.... How come it's never that nice when I'm there LOL

It's been like this for over 2 months now...just one day's overnight rain during that time. Hot for the UK too.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Finally got a couple of hours to work on the Ghia, couldn't decide where to start, then realized I needed to secure the body to the pan. I only had the two bolts at the front over the beam attached and two rear under the seat.

As I began trying to insert the pan bolts, I noticed I was not making purchase with all the threads, or only capturing a few. I started with the two large bolts at the front under the left side, then walked it back, and started to make some connections. I just happened to look inside across to the right side, and noticed the body was lifting away from the pan!! Couldn't figure out what was going on, until it made sense that I was putting pressure from the left, causing the right to lift.

OK, so I backed out what I had, went to the right front large bolts and got them started, the I took my floor jack, placed an 18" 2x4 on it, raised it up under the pan to apply pressure, and was able to connect a few of the bolts there.

It looks like I have to go one side, one bolt at a time and walk it toward the rear. Is this correct? Is there a certain order I need to connect all the pan bolts? Am I now going to screw up the door gaps and have to redo those as well?? Has anyone else experienced this problem? UGHHHHH

I searched the topics forum for this, but can't find anything exactly re what I am looking for. Perhaps it is in the Bentley manual and I should have looked first?

Any help/advice is appreciated as always!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 128 of 166

Jump to: