Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I tried to get my front suspension put back together.
I was excited because I will finally be able to use the drop spindles I bought in 2001.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unbeknown to be I had inner bearings for 66-68. That's what I get for shopping under the influence. Surprisingly, O'Reilly had some in stock so the day wasn't ruined. Just another $21.00

So I got the rotors on and started to install the Stainless Steel brake lines and calipers.

Frozen Caliper!
I managed to free one side up, but not the other.
They were NEW---13 unused years ago.
Anyhoo, new ones are on the way.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Looking good... Be sure to paint those calipers. Makes a HUGE difference visually.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

These Gasburners completely hide the calipers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Gas Burners are HOT!

I particularly like them when they are partially painted with polished ribs just like yours.
You're going to have one sweet Karmann Ghia when everything is completed.

Considering how pricey those gas burners are, it's probably a very good thing that they don't go bad when you let them sit unused for 13 years, huh? Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Gas Burners are HOT!

I particularly like them when they are partially painted with polished ribs just like yours.
You're going to have one sweet Karmann Ghia when everything is completed.

Considering how pricey those gas burners are, it's probably a very good thing that they don't go bad when you let them sit unused for 13 years, huh? Wink

Thanks for the kind words.
I actually got them recently. I had cheap 4.5 inch chrome smoothies with Kleber 145s that showed their age just from sitting there. Before that I had Rivieras. Those got thrashed.
I chose these mainly for the backspace as well as the look.
They don’t rub with 195/50/15 on the rear and 195/45/15 on the front.
I can’t ask more than that.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Got some new goodies. Since my calipers were frozen I got two new Varga calipers. They're a different color now.

Installed a quick steer plate. I buggered up my right inner tie rod end threads using an air hammer to remove it so I buzzed down to Herrell VW parts to get another one. It was only $10.00 which was amazing since everyone else, and I mean everyone, wants $30.00 plus shipping. I should've gotten a lot more things from them. I should have taken a few photos while I was there. Neat place and nice setup. They had a complete resto going on with the body of a 68 or so Beetle primed and blocked. Pretty good salvage cars in the lot too.

So I got the calipers on. Now I'm ready to bleed. As if I haven't done enough of that already.

So now where to mount the Carter fuel pump?

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

DIY parcel tray out if 3/16" ABS plastic and wrapped it in faux leather.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Dude!
That looks great!
I love following your thread.
You’re definitely creating something cool and unique.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Jeffrey, I am in the same position as you regarding mounting the electric fuel pump. I was thinking on the floor piece just to the left of the tunnel as you look at your shot. I figured that way it was low enough below the tank, as recommended by others, and that way any mounting bolts/screws won't push into the front foot well. Definitely post a pic wherever you mount it to give me an idea.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

Lose the crappy urethane steering coupler, these are a known failure point.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Swapped out the steering wheel and turn signal/wiring from the old shaft onto the second one that I had color matched to my car. That was real fun. Couldn't figure out how to remove the collar until I realized when I pulled that hex bolt, I just tapped a little with a rubber mallet and it came off. Yeah I know there is probably a whole thread how to do this, but I like to explore.

The real part that sucked was when I took out the turn signal housing group, not only could I see one of the little plastic tabs/hooks which resets or disconnects the turn signal when turned all the way, was broken, but as I was further exploring, a little ball bearing held in place by a spring decided to jump out and magically disappear...UGH!

Guess i'm just gonna have to buy a new turn signal switch, after reading the threads previously about original vs re-pops and their failures, i'm definitely going to scrounge the classifieds to find a good used original, since all I need are the guts.

I also noticed various cracks around the hub of the steering wheel, pretty common I know, would I be able to use some good putty/epoxy to fill the bad areas and then sand it smooth and repaint?

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Bummer. I hate it when that happens. You know that as soon as you get the replacement, you’ll find the lost parts. At least that’s how it always works for me.
When I replaced mine, I lost one of the 4 screws. Managed to find one from a local place so, I got two. They arrived in an envelope and while opening it a piece of paper fluttered to the floor. Guess where it landed! Right next to the damn missing screw. I know I looked there over and over.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Quote:
I also noticed various cracks around the hub of the steering wheel, pretty common I know, would I be able to use some good putty/epoxy to fill the bad areas and then sand it smooth and repaint?

Yes you can. Use a dremel and grind the cracks out to the ends so they wont continue cracking.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Good advice, thanks Darrel.

Yes Jeffrey, I know as soon as I clean up the area around where I was working, I'll find that little ball bearing laying right where I looked 100 times!

Frustrating, but still fun!

Jimbuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Nothing compared to this build thread! Simply trying to find a sunny day for a nice run. been wet up here. running some seafoam then some stabil and getting ready for hibernation
Seablue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hi All,
I recently purchased a 66 Ghia vert, the bumpers are in poor shape and I am indecisive about re-chroming or going with the stainless steel bumpers that are advertised everywhere. Can anyone comment on their experience. In the event i go with chrome, what is the going rate.
Thanks!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Seablue66 wrote:
Hi All,
I recently purchased a 66 Ghia vert, the bumpers are in poor shape and I am indecisive about re-chroming or going with the stainless steel bumpers that are advertised everywhere. Can anyone comment on their experience. In the event i go with chrome, what is the going rate.
Thanks!

Congratulatons on the purchase of your 1966 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet, and welcome to The Samba Ghia Forum!

First, please post up some photos of your new acquisition - we'd love to see it.

Next, go grab a beer and clear your schedule for a few hours so that you can read all about the other forum member's experiences with the stainless steel reproduction bumpers in this thread ... Stainless Steel Bumpers

As this forum has been around for quite some time, it's not very likely that almost any Ghia related question hasn't already been discussed at length in one or more (... almost always more Smile ) older threads.
Therefore the "Forum Search" box feature found on the far left hand side of the page immediately above the list of thread titles will soon become your new best friend.

Check it out by trying the search terms "rechrome plating bumpers" and see what the others have said about their experiences having their OG Ghia bumpers rechromed.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Seablue66 wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks!

In most cases stainless bumpers will be almost 1/2 the cost of re chroming your bumpers that should be in fairly good shape.

I was quoted $1425 to chrome my bumpers, and $650 for the stainless bumpers delivered. I bought the stainless bumpers knowing I may need to bend a Brackett or a bolt to install the stainless ones. I have not installed them yet.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Spent the weekend in a friends paint booth.

And back home with it.

Now to see if I remember how to put it back together!
Shocked
d
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:
Spent the weekend in a friends paint booth.
And back home with it.

Now to see if I remember how to put it back together!
Shocked
d

Now that's a shiny new paint job - Looking Good so far!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Page 132 of 167

Jump to: