Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
My "Winter Pandemic project".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow, solid!

I had solids in one of my 914's once. It has Koni Reds in it and every bump kicks my ass... The noise got to be too much for street diving and I went with Sport mounts which are stiffer than stock, but quieter than solids, so a good compromise IMO.

I fought getting the engine out of my Ghia after the red urethane mounts all disintegrated. It was very difficult to get the engine to separate with nothing holding the transaxel in place. I ended up taking the rear cradle off, then replacing the front mount before I was able to finally get the thing out.
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Installed fibreglass kick panels from Glass Action for speakers, I went with Rockford Fosgate tri-axial speakers. Not wanting anything too loud, just some background tunes for cruising along.
Installed front sway bar.
Installed hot air hose so my wife can have some heat on her side.
Painted floor pans.
Put the seats, carpet and insulation back after the fuel leak.

It’s been a busy weekend.
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Well, I'm back to where I thought I was a couple of months ago!
Back when I thought I could drive it if I got registration/plates etc.

Since then I replaced the transaxel mounts with stock after the red urethane exploded when I drove 10 feet to the driveway and back. Finished the seam sealer and undercoating, repainted some engine tins (as long as it was out...), adjusted the valves points and timing, drained the old oil and added some motor flush and drained again, put in a facet pump under the tank (for priming the mechanical pump since I don't normally leave any gas in it) with a switch hidden under the dash. Oh and I replaced the clutch and seals while the engine was out.

Edit> Forgot to mention relocating the battery under the rear seat.
Today I put in an DVDA with electronic points module, keeping the original for spare.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

i picked up its original engine from the prior owner as well as its beauty/trim rings plus a slew of other ghia parts!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hanzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I cleaned my clock.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hanzl, the clock mechanism looks very good. What did you use to clean it? Brake cleaner spray and compressed air? Q-Tips? And what did you use for lubrication- a very thin oil such as "3 in 1"?
hanzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Hanzl, the clock mechanism looks very good. What did you use to clean it? Brake cleaner spray and compressed air? Q-Tips? And what did you use for lubrication- a very thin oil such as "3 in 1"?

IPA alcohol for cleaning and a small soft brush.
Dried it with low pressure compressed air..
I use a few drops of sewing machine oil and let it run for a night on a 9v battery
keary_lewis0303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Just about done with all the major body and rust repairs.
Started disassembly to sand jambs etc. Follow me on Instagram c10etc

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

While I had the engine out I dropped off the tins to Awesome Powdercoat. Clarks shop is about 90 minutes from me. I decided to upgrade from Rustoleum "Hammered" rattle can finish to Eastwood "Poppin Silver Vein" powder coat.
I'm very pleased.
Here's a teaser

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Took some time to strip the powder coating of the ribs of the cast aluminum generator backing plate and coil mounts.
Lots of elbow grease, sanding and polishing but I think the results are worth the effort

Mike Gerson

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

You'll have to fit a set of Gasburners to finish the look. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
You'll have to fit a set of Gasburners to finish the look. Very Happy

Interesting you mentioned Gasburners as they are a favorite wheel of mine Cool
I bought a damaged one several years ago. I thing I paid $25 at a swap. I was trying to get and idea of what they would look like. Ultimately I decided to keep her as classic looking as possible. Another issue was fitment. I have the 67 wide swing axle's along with rebuilt "Z-Bars". I think the offset would work but i wasn't ready to commit pulling the rear suspension and switch axles if it didn't.
My new plan for that lone wheel is to mount some legs and a piece of glass for a man cave style end table Smile

Mike Gerson

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Link

This will show you the GasBurners on my ‘70

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

Link

Very nice but I'm now a bit dizzy Smile

Mike Gerson

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

Link

Hey Jeff, What drone do you have. Im planning on getting one, have zero knowledge and their are 1000's of different ones for sale. What should i look for?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
J_Dubz 69 Ghia(s)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Nice choice on the powdercoat! Looks sweet.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I continued cleaning it out and cleaning it up. Trying to figure out what belongs where. Tried to start it but alas no dice. Sounded like it wanted to.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

cleaned my speedo, gas gauge, and clock. Clock is running about 20 minutes slow, trying to wake up after not running for 15 years!
fontduroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Rebuilt my first carburetor!

What a great age we live in where there are so many free, excellent resources online. I was able to rebuild the carburetor right the first time with help from schematics I found online.

34Pict-3

I changed out the main jet from 127.5 to 122.5. The engine was running pretty rich (as evidenced from the very black and sooty spark plugs). This was originally a Texas Ghia, and I live in the Denver area. After tuning the rebuilt carb, the car is running smooooothly.

Lessons learned:

1. Rebuilding a carburetor is a) fun and b) not too difficult as long as you keep track of parts and have some resources to reference.

2. Brakleen is some really potent and dangerous stuff. I was wearing nitrile gloves and after about 30 minutes my hands were burning. Badly. I assume that the vapors leaked through the gloves. This was my first time using Brakleen, and I plan on working through the rest of the bottle (maybe) but from now on using something more earth- and human-friendly.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I've been lazy and to be honest, lethargic. It has been hot this summer, %$#* hot, as Robin Williams announced in Good Morning Vietnam. Ironically, it was the heat that forced me to get off my butt and do some work on my Ghia. It happened like this: I went to play tennis: 4 sets later we gave up due to the heat. On the way home I found that the tar had melted on a newly resurfaced road. The result was tar and small pieces of gravel stuck to my car's inner fender wells. The good news is that I had installed Lokari inner fender liners in front some time ago and that there was protection for the headlight buckets. Still, it took hours to clean off all the tar and gunk. I took the opportunity to re-install my wheels, this time with the centre caps Charley had sourced for me. I had to do a bit of machining to get the caps to fit over the dust caps on the front axle.

I have 3 jobs left: Re-install KPH speedo (reconditioned); replace horn boot; replace glove book lock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Page 149 of 167

Jump to: