Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Let me know it you need a hand with any of that. I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms with my Ghia on the other side of the the Tasman Sea.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hey there, nice to see more people using these fender liners, I think they really protect in the long run. Especially for those tight gaps where muck gets to stick, even if you mostly drive in nice weather. Like headlight buckets and the top of the fresh air channels.
Yours look nicely „integrated“ did you paint them after installing? You also painted the rubber lips along the edges? If yes, doesn't the paint crack on the rubber?

Because mine is a 72, I have to modify mine, as the bumper brackets are somewhat in the way….. Could I have some warmth from your side of the planet? We are freezing here, no fun…… Mad

Regards
Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
Hey there, nice to see more people using these fender liners, I think they really protect in the long run. Especially for those tight gaps where muck gets to stick, even if you mostly drive in nice weather. Like headlight buckets and the top of the fresh air channels.
Yours look nicely „integrated“ did you paint them after installing? You also painted the rubber lips along the edges? If yes, doesn't the paint crack on the rubber?

Because mine is a 72, I have to modify mine, as the bumper brackets are somewhat in the way….. Could I have some warmth from your side of the planet? We are freezing here, no fun…… :x

Regards
Vlad

Hi Vlad, yes, the protection is pretty complete. I painted the liners as well as the rubber lips. I first used a paintable seam sealer along the edges and waited for that to dry before I did the painting. The sealer I have comes in ivory colour, which is close to my car's Lotus White anyway. The way I see it, I can repaint the Lokari liner any time I want when it needs a touch-up or even a complete repaint. I saw no cracking on the rubber. (I shouldn't complain about the heat, I know.)
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Let me know it you need a hand with any of that. I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms with my Ghia on the other side of the the Tasman Sea.

Nicholas

We'll have to make a plan then, my friend. This Sunday. A nice drive and coffee somewhere, and count that as service to our Ghias.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I took the opportunity to re-install my wheels... I had to do a bit of machining to get the caps to fit over the dust caps on the front axle.
Looking good! Applause
Sounds familiar; I used a Dremel to cut the flared lip off the dust caps and to shorten the Allen head screws that secure the center caps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
I took the opportunity to re-install my wheels... I had to do a bit of machining to get the caps to fit over the dust caps on the front axle.
Looking good! =D>
Sounds familiar; I used a Dremel to cut the flared lip off the dust caps and to shorten the Allen head screws that secure the center caps.

I had 2 problems with the dust caps, Charley. I had a new dust cap fitted recently but its diameter is greater than that of the original, which I had to re-install. And I had to shorten those pesky little Allen head screws, like you, using my Dremel and its cutting wheel. I got away without having to machine the dust cap. I'm not an engineer or even technically minded, but it gives me great satisfaction to defeat these problems one at a time. All the best for 2021.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I said sorry for ignoring her while I try to learn about and baseline a new-to-me car. She looks at me now with a side glance of disappointment.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
I said sorry for ignoring her while I try to learn about and baseline a new-to-me car. She looks at me now with a side glance of disappointment.

I think you might have misread that look. It's easily mistaken with the look of hopeful optimism. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Took some time to strip the powder coating of the ribs of the cast aluminum generator backing plate and coil mounts.
Lots of elbow grease, sanding and polishing but I think the results are worth the effort

I worked a bit on trial fitting the tins. The shroud was really hacked by a P.O.
It's been massaged and still need some work. The tin around the hole for the accelerator tube was a mess. After much debate I decided to fashion some aluminum plate to dress up the area. It's far from finished. The corners need radiused and then the piece polished.
I have new copper exhaust gaskets and have tweeked the muffler / J-tube and mounting flanges to eliminate the exhaust leaks.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:

Nicholas

Well, I think I was able to help Nicholas a bit to assuage those withdrawal symptoms. I re-installed my KPH speedo after a recondition and in the struggle to fit it in, with all those fiddly little wires going to the speedo lights, I knocked a couple of wires off their terminals. After a week of unsuccessfully trying to work out where they went, I had to call in the experts.

Emergency flashers not working.
Brake lights not working.
Ghia's wiring a mess of '68 car, some later, or is that earlier? components, and a 1970 brake warning light for the dash.

6 hours later Nicholas got everything working. But it still looks like this:

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
But it still looks like this...
Regardless, the electrons won't get lost. Just refit your trunk liner. “A luta continua, vitória é certa” Wink
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
But it still looks like this...
Regardless, the electrons won't get lost. Just refit your trunk liner. “A luta continua, vitória é certa” :wink:

Sweep it under the carpet, so to speak? My mum would turn over in her grave! Her attitude was that even when the dirt was under the carpet, she still KNEW it was there.

I saw your Ghia on another thread. Absolutely beautiful.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Installed a Blaze Cut in the engine compartment... yeah.... pretty ugly....

Installed my new stainless steel trim

installed an additional layer of Dynamat and 1/2 foam for sound deadening.

Now it's time for a scotch....

d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Kudos.
I have an interior tear tear out in my future as well.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

titled and insured mine! After a month to just get an appointment to title it i was able to insure it and now have to make it a bit more cosmetically appealing to register it as an antique vehicle
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Capslock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Small victories for a rank newbie Reply with quote

I'm not a car guy. I can change oil and keep it gassed up, that's about it. I have a computer job. But I ended up with a 1970 Karmann Ghia on an impulse purchase recently and I love it.

It wasn't running quite right, though. Once it was hot, like after being on the freeway, it idled so low it bordered on stalling out, and once in a while it would. It also lightly backfired from time to time. So I did a little internet research how to adjust the carb, a Solex H30/3, and went for it, and damned if it didn't run 100% better afterwards! It made me feel like a king! I might be a car guy now.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Small victories for a rank newbie Reply with quote

Capslock wrote:
I'm not a car guy. I can change oil and keep it gassed up, that's about it. I have a computer job. But I ended up with a 1970 Karmann Ghia on an impulse purchase recently and I love it.

It wasn't running quite right, though. Once it was hot, like after being on the freeway, it idled so low it bordered on stalling out, and once in a while it would. It also lightly backfired from time to time. So I did a little internet research how to adjust the carb, a Solex H30/3, and went for it, and damned if it didn't run 100% better afterwards! It made me feel like a king! I might be a car guy now.

Congratulations on your successful repair/adjustmunts.
For another project, you might consider moving that fuel filter to a safer location. There are many threads here about fuel filter fires.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Getting my original bumpers ready to go on my 70 body off restore, some pitting but overall pretty good.

1970 Ghia body off restoration in process
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I like your work space. 😉
I have a supportive wife, but not that supportive.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Back bumper ready
wife does not mind as long as I do the dishes! Shocked

1970 Ghia body off restoration in process
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 150 of 166

Jump to: