Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

overboost wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys. Maybe I'm just trying to relive my youth in SoCal. I did pull the trigger on a set of polished factory Fuchs 2L alloys but will hold off on dropping it and mounting the wheels until it becomes a little more clear on my direction for this car.

There is nothing more I would like than for mine to be as clean as the cars you guys really admire and build, but this car would take $20,000 in panel welding and paint before it even passes the litmus test.

I guess the real issue here is that I have been bitten by the KG bug again and wanting something I just can't have.

The "Karmann Ghia Bug" is too hard to over come! No point in fighting it!
Brick wall Just enjoy it! Smile

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Quote:
I did pull the trigger on a set of polished factory Fuchs 2L alloys but will hold off on dropping it and mounting the wheels until it becomes a little more clear on my direction for this car.

You might be in for trouble with the rear wheel fitment. My good friend Bill S in Connecticut had those wheels (repros as I recently learned) on his red '68 Coupe over 20 years ago. He converted to the earlier, thru-'66 narrower swingaxles to get enough room for them and the tires to fit and not contact the fenderwell edge.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If the rear track was narrowed slightly for the IRS on your '69 (edit- I checked the '68 and '69 owner's manuals- both rear track widths are the same at 53.3"), then the wheels may fit without problems. Hope so- those are my favorite style for 4-lug Ghias. We occasionally see photos of '69 Ghias where this wheel was fitted. This same Ghia is for sale on theSamba- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2492865

Good call to switch to amber-topped Euro taillamp lenses- IMO they are make a significant improvement in visibility for those behind you.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Dude, since you and I grew up in So Cal, it is inevitable we will always go for the Cal Look, unless we find a really nice condition stock, then even I wouldn't mess with it. The good thing now is we are older, more experienced, and hopefully better off financially so we don't have to buy everything from Pep Boys and order through the JC Whitney catalog of crap!! Although many of the good parts shops are still around, and close enough to drive to if needed in So Cal. I miss that living on the East Coast, no good ACVW parts stores or repair shops...Relive the old days!!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I dont know overboost, I really like the direction your going with your Ghia. I would love to find one in about the same condition as yours. I think it will be a pleasure to drive when you get to the vision you have in your mind. Very Happy
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

You might be in for trouble with the rear wheel fitment. My good friend Bill S in Connecticut had those wheels (repros as I recently learned) on his red '68 Coupe over 20 years ago. He converted to the earlier, thru-'66 narrower swingaxles to get enough room for them and the tires to fit and not contact the fenderwell edge.

If the rear track was narrowed slightly for the IRS on your '69 (edit- I checked the '68 and '69 owner's manuals- both rear track widths are the same at 53.3"), then the wheels may fit without problems. Hope so- those are my favorite style for 4-lug Ghias. We occasionally see photos of '69 Ghias where this wheel was fitted. This same Ghia is for sale on theSamba-

Good call to switch to amber-topped Euro taillamp lenses- IMO they are make a significant improvement in visibility for those behind you.

I bought the polished Fuchs 2L alloys on FleaBay for $1750 and chrome aftermarket lugs for $87. The new factory Fuchs caps were the killer, $495.

I didn't spend this much for wheels on my Ferrari! Mad

I don't know much about the repros, other than they have square edges and just don't look right. I have run the original Fuchs on several of my Ghias in the past, no issue at all.

I am planning on running Michelin XZX 165 rear and 145 fronts as I did in the past.

[/quote]
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

My neighborhood put on a Fall Festival with a Classic Car drive-in this morning. Took her out for a little air. I parked in the German section with a few Porsches.

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

After going out to get gas one night I decided I needed to upgrade.

New Hella LED headlights from Vintage car leds.

Also put in a new fuel tank recently and a dash pad.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hi Kman, I've seen the ads for these lights and I was wondering they required some type of voltage drop or rewiring. Do they come with everything needed?
Thanks, Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
My neighborhood put on a Fall Festival with a Classic Car drive-in this morning. Took her out for a little air. I parked in the German section with a few Porsches.

Your car looks really sharp. I guess I'm partial to Ivory Very Happy
Ivory and Karmann Ghias is a perfect match. Very classic looking.
It must have gotten a lot of attention?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Hi Kman, I've seen the ads for these lights and I was wondering they required some type of voltage drop or rewiring. Do they come with everything needed?
Thanks, Jeff

For the Ghia they needed nothing. Plug adjust and play. They would be too deep for a lot of cars but the Ghia has deep headlight buckets. I got the 3500 model and took a nice night drive after. Worked perfectly.

I will note that the Hella upgraded glass is not as curved as I hoped for. The regular upgraded glass may or may not be more curved. They are still a really nice upgrade. Our cars are so low and and all the new cars out there make night driving a challenge every time you get night blinded by another car. These lights really help with that.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Awesome, Thanks Kman!
Jeff

Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Never, never, never use Rust-oleum spray cans to re-paint your Ghia ...

... unless you want it to turn out not too bad.

(Removed turn-signal housings and put LED amber blinkers in the fresh-air vents)

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Quote:
Never, never, never use Rust-oleum spray cans to re-paint your Ghia... unless you want it to turn out not too bad.

That looks OK. How many cans did you need? Was the previous paint many different colors, so that now you at least have a "weathered", uniform color? Did you also paint the bumpers?
Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

The car originally wore "light ivory" and had been resprayed once in white.

I didn't want to go to bare metal since there was plenty of -- if not good -- paint on 'er already.

I hand-sanded nearly all the white respray off the car, arriving at a dark, grey primer between the two white coats. The second painting of the car was bad and had checkerboarded and crosshatched badly.

Since I love green cars, I chose Rust-oleum's semi-gloss Hunter Green. Not knowing if I'd like it, I painted a Premier Protein box in it and held it next to my Porsche phone-dial wheels (coming soon to a Ghia near me), the same color I painted the bumpers and chrome pieces. The box came out great so I thought the car would.

Not.

My wife called it a turtle, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. "I like turtles," as the meme goes, but the semi-gloss was mangy at best, too bright a green to look good but not intentionally flashy and, therefore, "accidental-looking." Also, the sheen was more irregular than Charlie.

To my rescue arrived Rust-oleum 2X in Moss Green. I like it better. Maybe I'm on my way to building a tribute car to the Gunther Werks Greenwich series of 25 special 993/911s.

How many cans, you ask? Ten of the final, Moss Green and eleven of the Hunter Green underneath = 21. But, that's just for the body. I've yet to paint inside the engine compartment, doors, sills and frunk.

Also, I went through 3 cans of Duplicolor anthracite/gun metal to do four wheels and the bumpers, et al mentioned above. By the way, the wheel paint is soft and I doubt it will hold up well.

The photos I uploaded reflect an in-progress state as I need to color-sand to even out the sheen (which will get a bit glossier as I go). Also, astute minds will notice the overspray here and there, especially on the trim and windows but they'll clean up.

Not asked: how much work? Too much but it's over so I'll forget the pain and say it was worth it. 45+ hours so far with another 5-10 to go to finish painting and cleaning up. Say 55 hours x $0 per hour and that's approximately $0. Figure about $150 in paint and supplies. The car was super-fugly before so I had little to lose and I've probably increased the value of the beast (unless folks really dislike green, which is how I felt about the white it wore).

Filling in the turn-signals on the front took about 4 hours, total. It was easier than I'd have thought: a couple pieces of sheetmetal, some shears, fourteen swear words and a MIG welder plus help from Mr. Bondo. I like the less-cluttered look.

Thanks for asking and for reading.

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
todmeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Finished the rear drum to disc brake conversion. Hubs that came with the kit were wider just enough to make my 185/60/15 tires rub. Bummer. Went with 165/60/15. A little smaller not not enough to make it ugly. Next week come with installing the big bore master cyl..
HBGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Made some of these things. Not sure what they're called, dust seal maybe?

Got the vapor barrier on the big part, smaller one is separate piece I left off to show the side molding holes covered with putty. And the felt for the door pull rod. (very small piece just under the plastic vapor barrier). Drivers side next after I fix the broken crank mechanism! Progress!

Still gotta figure out the round hole just in front of the door pull. Needs to be sealed somehow. I thought I saw pics of some kind of rubber fit into it. Maybe just extend the vapor barrier up to cover it as well.
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

todmeg wrote:
Finished the rear drum to disc brake conversion. Hubs that came with the kit were wider just enough to make my 185/60/15 tires rub. Bummer. Went with 165/60/15. A little smaller not not enough to make it ugly. Next week come with installing the big bore master cyl..
Did you get any pictures before the wheels went back on? I would love to see how they looked. Do you have a working parking brake?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I got a flat tyre...

Actually it wasn't me, it was Jane. Jane was taking the Ghia for an exercise run at the time but she had the wherewithal to pull over and attempt changing it herself... she got the jack sorted lifted the car up and then discovered the wheel nuts didn't match the wheel brace. That was my oversight. I have a nicely kitted garage and use the tools there, I completely forgot to check compatibility of the nut size and wheel brace. Jane managed to summon help from a passing motorist and the spare was rolling in a few minutes.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Finally got around to installing my new door panels. That was kind of a pain...

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I got a flat tyre...

Actually it wasn't me, it was Jane. Jane was taking the Ghia for an exercise run at the time but she had the wherewithal to pull over and attempt changing it herself... she got the jack sorted lifted the car up and then discovered the wheel nuts didn't match the wheel brace. That was my oversight. I have a nicely kitted garage and use the tools there, I completely forgot to check compatibility of the nut size and wheel brace. Jane managed to summon help from a passing motorist and the spare was rolling in a few minutes.

Nicholas

Ouch!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 155 of 166

Jump to: