Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Steelz21 wrote:
What is that machined silver thing front and centre of both wiring pictures? Speedo cable compensater ? Andy

Andy, yes. I have smaller wheels on the front and I had to get a gearing compensator to satisfy the inspector that my speedo was going to be accurate. I needed a 9% adjustment as the speedo was reading 100kph when the actual speed was 91kph.
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Thanks for answering my question.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I'm having to replace my 69 Ghia's turn signal switch. The repro unit arrived today from Rudiger Huber in Germany. A couple of points: Rudi has 2 models for sale, and as he has done in the past, recommended that I should buy the better and more expensive one. The quality looks good. When I asked Rudi for a NOS switch, he said that it would be more expensive and that the plastic parts within the switch would be 60 years old and likely brittle. (We know what happens to plastics over time.) (Also, it takes 25 days for a DHL parcel to be delivered from Germany to New Zealand.)

Here's the switch next to the old one which was damaged during my car's last service (long story).

The wires pointing towards the right are redundant as there are only 5 wires on the old switch. (If I'm wrong, please tell me now.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EDIT: I'm getting old. I see that I posted a thread on the issue in 2015. SORRY.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=631673&highlight=horn+ring+install

A second issue: When I opened the steering column to find out why my turn signals were not working, I found these parts floating in the well. Please, what could they be, and where do they belong?

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Chris,
You are a brave man entering the strange lands of the VW turn signal mechanism There are so many variations to just the OEM versions.
Here is a thread that has a couple of videos of someone pulling a 1970 unit apart. He shows similar ball bearing and sliding contacts to those in your photo
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731561
Could be a clue for you.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Chris,
You are a brave man entering the strange lands of the VW turn signal mechanism There are so many variations to just the OEM versions.
Here is a thread that has a couple of videos of someone pulling a 1970 unit apart. He shows similar ball bearing and sliding contacts to those in your photo
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731561
Could be a clue for you.
Nicholas

Hi Nicholas, You made my day. Those loose parts, I can now see, came off my broken switch. One issue with the frist video: I think the contacts the guy points to at the beginning of the video are the contacts for the dim/bright activation - and not the contacts for the horn. Other than that, a very helpful video. Chris M
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

That video makes me sorry I tossed out my old one.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Today I finally swapped my Varga calipers for the Wilwood.

The Motive Power Bleeder was an eye opener.

I had been using this suction bleeder

With the Motive, I had both calipers bled in less than 10 minutes and most of that was filling and attaching the Motive to the reservoir.
I was initially concerned that the Motive would fill up the reservoir and I would have a mess when I disconnected it but there was no mess. I suppose since it a pressurized system, it only fills what gets emptied.

With the extra time I scrubbed everything up in the wheel wells.
Tomorrow or Tuesday I’ll complete the original mission of the oil change and valve adjustment.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pennacook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I finally replaced my starter. Had been putting it off for a few years now. But, this now means I can stop crawling under the car to jumper the solenoid Very Happy

It only took a half hour. I was wishing I had done this work sooner!
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Primed and painted all of the pan/chassis parts. Decided to use a higher DOI. Frame head is epoxy primed with gatorgard. Transaxle yet todo. Still not sure if I'm going black gloss or clear coat.

gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Transaxle finished and painted. There were no prior problems but replaced all the seals and new shift selector bushing. Flushed and ready for 75w90 synthetic. Pushing to get set up for the winter months ahead.

Just a note on the final drive seals. I used the 10mm thick seal (113-301-189 F) as that was what was in there prior. It definitely does not get pressed in fully. It might work but only one groove would catch the drive flange. Fortunately i took a pic before. It sits ~5mm in from the drive flange slinger that quite comfortably puts both lips on the drive flange.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I took a bunch of photos and sent them via Facebook messenger to a gent in Slovenia who has same month and year Ghia as mine but not much info to work with. VW folks help out other VW volks.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273

Last edited by obus on Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I installed an Antigravity ATX-20 under the rear seat of my 1971 Ghia.

Yes, it was about $300. But, I'd just ruined a $120 AGM battery with an alternator that was overcharging. I felt the BMS (battery management system) of the Antigravity would provide some insurance. Naturally, I replaced the alternator, too (and installed a cooling-fan-style pulley).

Another justification for the pricey battery went like this: the lead-acid battery weighed 34 pounds and even the AGM motorcycle battery (R.I.P.) weighed 18 pounds. At 6 pounds, I'm Colin Chapmaning my Ghia, adding lightness.

My stock 1600 engine at 5800 feet elevation is getting a chance with a Ghia that weighs about 200 pounds less than stock.

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

In 2015 my wife and I cut our own carpets from hardwearing and fireproof New Zealand New Wool domestic carpets. We had the binding done by an upholsterer. The cost of the carpets came to less than NZ$300 (US$200) with a 3m roll of carpet to spare. (Newton landed in NZ with tax and import duties would have been more than US$900.)

I got around at last to have footrests sewn in at Autodec Supplies just around the corner from me. Excellent service, very fine stitching. Now why didn't I think of that earlier?

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
In 2015 my wife and I cut our own carpets from hardwearing and fireproof New Zealand New Wool domestic carpets. We had the binding done by an upholsterer.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Your carpet looks absolutely regal.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Foot rests looks great. You both did a fantastic job with the carpet. It's really holding up well. Excellent choice of carpet and the binding came out like a quality professional job.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Foot rests looks great. You both did a fantastic job with the carpet. It's really holding up well. Excellent choice of carpet and the binding came out like a quality professional job.

Thanks Charley, Marc. Yes, the carpets look like new, but it's for 2 reasons: I cut a rubber-over-felt "carpet" from the boot liner of an old BMW for general use, and then we have a second set of the carpets to place on top when we go to a show. Cheating, I know, but we (all?) do try to show our girls in the best light.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I changed my wheels…sort of. I bought 4 EMPI deep 6 Fuchs, and had the front two cut down to 4.5”. Detailed them myself. Wrapped in vintage-look Michelin ZX and XWX tires front and rear. Also raised the front about an inch. The narrowed deep 6 wheel is a better offset for my front (the traditional 4.5’s with the exaggerated positive offset was too narrow for my taste). I like that the front and rear wheels now have matching outer profiles. I’m very happy with the result.

Last edited by PeteSC on Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

sharp looking low light PeteSC
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mouse action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Generation Gap
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Very cool picture Mouse. Very Happy
Your car looks fantastic.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 162 of 166

Jump to: