Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 KG wiper motor very hot
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mguilfoile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: 1967 KG wiper motor very hot Reply with quote

I have a rebuilt wiper motor that I put in my 1967 KG several years ago. Today, I noticed a sweet smelling, electrical odor while driving. I checked behind the dash to find the wiper motor (which was NOT on; it was a sunny day) was too hot to touch. It was at the epicenter of the odor. This motor has been very rarely operated since I don't drive the KG in the rain. Also, coincidentally, the alternator light came on at low RPM. It would go off when I revved the engine. I don't think the belt is loose, however, but could it be related to the wiper motor? Can anyone suggest next moves on this? Clearly something is wrong with the wiper motor operation, but what could that be?

Thanks for any help,
M Guilfoile
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 KG wiper motor very hot Reply with quote

Wiper motor has an always hot connection for the park function.
Can’t remember off hand if it’s switched with the key or not.
Disconnect that and see if the heat goes away.
Does it operate correctly otherwise?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mguilfoile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 KG wiper motor very hot Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can you tell me which one I should disconnect (see image).

Thank you,
MGuilfoile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 KG wiper motor very hot Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's 53 which would be your black wire

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mguilfoile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 KG wiper motor very hot Reply with quote

Thank you for your help!

It does operate fairly normally, however it seems slow on both settings and it doesn't seat back to the low position when switched off. It stops a little high. But that could just be that the wipers are not on the stems correctly, although I seem to remember that they seated properly in the past. Hmmm...I guess that's not exactly operating normally, is it?

I'll find and check a schematic about the black wire to make sure I have the right one and see if it heats up. If it does, does that mean I need a new motor or is there something else that could cause the heat build up?

Thank you!
M Guilfoile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: