Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old VW dealerships, what are they now?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

What is it now?
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
Going from the 1975 distributors and dealers list in The Samba archives area, the two SLC dealers were:

Strong VW at 679 South Main St - now a Salvation Army depot, although Strong's are still a VW dealer at 1070 South Main St, SLC.

Volkswagen Intermountain at 3711 South State St - now Murdock Hyundai. They were still there in 1996 at least (when they added the Hyundai franchise to Land Rover and a couple others), and lots of hits on a Google search, but no date as to when they lost the franchise (possibly when VW South Towne started up in Jordan or Ken Garff VW in SLC).

OUtside SLC:

Jones Motor Company of Cedar City is now Imperial Window and Door Inc

Morris Volkswagen of Logan is now Industrial Tool and Supply

Roy Strong Motors of Ogden is now Westland Hyundai

Scarty's Sale & Service of Price - dealer list just says 'East of the City' Rolling Eyes

Chuck Peterson Motors of Provo - now Certified Auto Repair

Scarty's, according to a job ad, was at 925 East Main St in Price (now a Trinity Church).

The old Strong is now a detailing place in the service area, and an art studio in the sales area.

Intermountain is now an RV dealer

Chuck Peterson Motors in Provo is now a discount furniture store - this is the same building as Steve Clifford Motors in the dealer list.

The other dealerships are the same as previously listed
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

The building that housed John Behel Motors of Yuba City, CA was razed. A Burger King is now at that location.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

The dealership my Ghia came from, Van Slyke in Knoxville, TN is now a motorcycle dealer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

The place looks bigger in the post card!
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ntrsssgti89 wrote:
Beranger VW which opened in 1968 is still standing in the original building that was built in 1970, will be changing owers and becoming VW of Rochester as of April 9

Found the VW sign that was on top of Beranger VW's building.... As soon as I figure out where to put em, I'll go get em

This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^
What!!!! Just in the woods?!?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Yup.... in the woods on my buddies horse farm. He is good friends of the Beranger family
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Thats awesome!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

When I was a kid, I used to peddle down to Aldan Volkswagen on Kings Highway and Foster Ave to ogle the early '70s Karmann Ghias.

I just did Google maps search of the location, and here is what is there now:

The building on the left, and the one above it that is just about out of the picture, is currently Premier Lincoln and Ford. When I was a kid, I believe one of them was called Steven Lincoln Mercury, where my Dad bought his '68 Cougar.

The center and right buildings, are now showing as Kristal Auto Mall, featuring Cadillac and GMC. I believe the center building was Aldan Volkswagen, where I used to go.

All I have to prove its existence is a picture of this key chain:

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

I had that same style snap-leather key fob but for an independent VW repair shop in Santa Cruz, CA (Arlie's). I can't find it, it must have been lost in a prior move... it was comfy in the pocket and easy to snap open one-handed to open the door and then ignition. I haven't found repros to have one re-made.
germanvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

This is the old JS Motors dealership building in Folsom PA. The entire original building still stands and contains several different businesses. Notice the VW dealership blue band at the roofline is still there. Sometime in the mid to late 70's the dealership name was changed to Future Cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Leti1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Cusser wrote:
...Now, if you were actually conceived at the dealership, that's a story. Or a special order.

Well, I can't say that I was "conceived" at the dealership but I can say that I literally grew up at Kendon Valley, Van Nuys and Harbor City as well as La Torre Volkswagen/Alfa Romeo... my dad, Michael Urioste who raised me as a single father from the time I was about 10 or 11, was part owner and General Manager of the Kendon Valley locations and when they closed he went to work at La Torre VW with my cousin Ernie and his (soon to be wife) Tamra... So I can say with 100% accuracy that I knew more about repairing my VW's then most my boyfriends knew about automobiles in general.

BTW, the 8' rabbit moved to my front yard in Santa Clarita Valley - totally humiliating having it there as a teenager, but the double cab pick up was awesome to drive down to Jalama Beach when I lived in Lompoc, CA!

I promise you, if you met my dad just once, you never forgot him. He passed away suddenly last year and reading these posts about Kendon and La Torre make me so proud of him! Please feel free to comment if you knew my dad or remembered meeting him... I miss him tremendously and any story is bound to help me with the sadness of losing him.

Thanks in advance!

Leticia
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Finnegan VW in North Syracuse, NY has been leveled and is now a McDonald's & Taco Bell.
mom bought her 1998 jetta there in 1998

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Here an old VW service center.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Im terrified to search for Amendola Motors in Niagara Falls - a poster child city for urban blight. Ive been back through and the places I went to as a kid are still there 50 years later, abandoned - like Chernobyl. There are places in NF hotter than Chernobyl, too.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Allingham Volkswagen was the dealership in Manhattan Kansas. A co-worker sent me a scan of this postcard they sent out back in the day.

The location is now a Toyota Honda dealership. I don't think they are using any of the original building, it must have been torn down and rebuilt.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leti1111 wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:
Cusser wrote:
...Now, if you were actually conceived at the dealership, that's a story. Or a special order.

Well, I can't say that I was "conceived" at the dealership but I can say that I literally grew up at Kendon Valley, Van Nuys and Harbor City as well as La Torre Volkswagen/Alfa Romeo... my dad, Michael Urioste who raised me as a single father from the time I was about 10 or 11, was part owner and General Manager of the Kendon Valley locations and when they closed he went to work at La Torre VW with my cousin Ernie and his (soon to be wife) Tamra... So I can say with 100% accuracy that I knew more about repairing my VW's then most my boyfriends knew about automobiles in general.

BTW, the 8' rabbit moved to my front yard in Santa Clarita Valley - totally humiliating having it there as a teenager, but the double cab pick up was awesome to drive down to Jalama Beach when I lived in Lompoc, CA!

I promise you, if you met my dad just once, you never forgot him. He passed away suddenly last year and reading these posts about Kendon and La Torre make me so proud of him! Please feel free to comment if you knew my dad or remembered meeting him... I miss him tremendously and any story is bound to help me with the sadness of losing him.

Thanks in advance!

Leticia

Awesome story - and migration from CA to AR - that has to be a good one too.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Wolff Motors in now a Mosey Ford Dealership on Mission Bay Drive in San Diego.

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: