Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifting a 71 bay window bus and rims.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunnar89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have that dog house fan shroud with thos fins on the bottem that u connect to the thermostat and when it gets hot it open mores and when it gets cooler it closes and junk i dont no if that would make a diff with the cooling of the engine with bigger tires... and i was gunna try to get my hands on some dual carbs and anything els i can do to a 1600cc that will give it a lil boost with out completely robbing my mpg i no the tires will like drop it alot but as long as it better than my jeep over all ill be good
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjensen3618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy over in the Thing forum runs these on a 14" wheel. I think they look really good. They are the E78X14 found here.
http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/super-traxion.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: raised kombi Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you mean like this pair Razz ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biblethumpncop wrote:
If you use the original 14" rims, you could put the 27x8.5r14 tires with no rubbing. If you go larger than that, your cylinder head temps may adversly be affected.

I am running that size tire, and even put a lower geared transaxle for my 2.0l engine. The bus has plenty of ground clearance. If your looking for a true baja, you'll be disappointed. The bus isn't fast like a baja. It is heavy and slow. You won't be jumping much, especially if you have a stock 1600 and large tires.

But, the bus will be great for going in the back country on rough roads. Plenty of ground clearance and tractions. Carry plenty of gear. Short runs up tall hills, not really. My 72 I had couldn't get out of its own way. My current 76 with the FI engire and 4:86 gears and 27" tires works well for what I need. Good luck!

Good advice. Most folks just want big tires on their bus, but there is so much more to it. To do it right and make your bus functional, you must upgrade your engine, modify your gearing, and lift your bus. Lots of work, but its the only way to do it right. You can put the biggest tires you can fit without rubbing, but be warned that bigger tires without taking account what I listed above will make your bus drive even slower and your engine run even hotter.

Here is my thread on my baja buses: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303792
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gunnar89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but if i put bigger tires on it like 28 inch with the 1600cc i shouldn't have much of a diff cuz the inside of my bus is prity much gutted only have 2 front seats and a table thing in the back so stil think i would have the power problem?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biblethumpncop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are just making suggestions based off of other's recommendations and our experiences. Is 1 extra inch worth it? What are you trying to achieve? Looks? Offroad capabilities? Clearance?
gunnar89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess mostly looks and some light off roading
Jason C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=113741

Here's a build thread for a lifted bus.

64 Bug
gunnar89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well were would i get a 27inch tire that will fit on the 14" rim.. cuz the links are mostly 28s
biblethumpncop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=G...mp;place=0
My local Discount Tire ordered mine though.
gunnar89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks thos are good just one more thing .... would the 27" fit a non lifted bus or do i have to lift it to fit and if so how much ?
biblethumpncop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They fit a stock suspension with stock wheels. Do a search on 27x8.50r14 and you'll see some with them on. Best of luck!
gunnar89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool thanks
gunnar89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing i been reading about the gear reduction boxes and how they make it easyer to spin bigger tires i guess... still not 100% sure on how they work but if they do what i think they do ...would they work on my bus (stock trans and all).. or do i already have them and i dont even no what im talking about and im wasting your time>????
Jason C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reduction boxes came stock on the swing axle buses, up to 67.

64 Bug
gunnar89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok would it work on my 71 bus?> or is it a no go?
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunnar89 wrote:
ok would it work on my 71 bus?> or is it a no go?

Nope, not unless you want to do some serious customization.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gunnar89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anything that will work that resembles that?
biblethumpncop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion:

If I was 16, and had limited resources, I would tune up my engine and make sure it purrs. Then, I would look into the transaxle. You probably have a 3 rib trans with 5:38 gearing. You won't get much lower gearing than that. Check the clutch while your there.

Now onto the tires. The 27x8.50r14 will be about the biggest you'll turn with the stock set up. The original tire size is about 25" tall. You will increase it by a couple inches, making it look beefier. You'll be fine though. The bus has plenty of ground clearance stock, and the added height of that size tire will help some more. The aggressive tread of the General Grabber AT2 will give it the S.U.Vw look.

Is the rear sagging a little. Turn the torsion bars and raise it up some. Don't go a full outer though. Some guys had success, but I had CV's clicking. Maybe just an inner spline.

Front? Keep it stock, or put on some coilover shocks. That will allow you to tweek it to the right height you want. If it works out and you like it after driving it for a while, then use another method to raise the front. I wouldn't raise the front until I work the other issues out.

You ask about putting bigger tires on it. The problem with the bigger tires are that it requires more torque to turn them. That causes more heat in the engine, because it works harder...ALL OF THE TIME. So, until you drop a bigger engine in it, capable of supplying the needed torque, don't worry about putting bigger tires on it.

Enjoy the bus for what it is. It doesn't have to have weenie tires on it. Make it fun for you, just know the limitations of that small engine.

Last edited by biblethumpncop on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
gunnar89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk thanks peace out
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: