Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stiff T-leaves in Warrior beam
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Stiff T-leaves in Warrior beam Reply with quote

I have a 6" wider warrior beam with 10" towers running Bilstein 5150 10" travel shocks and seatbelt straps on my Manx clone. I have the "split" torsion leaves (one set for each arm, not just one in each tube) and stock arms with a relocated lower shock mount.

Here's my issue: when putting the seatbelt straps on, which were only 1 1/2" shorter than the topped out suspension, it was all I could do with some ratcheting tiedown straps to crank the arms up enough to get the seatbelt straps on, and this is without the shocks. Suspension is now solid as a rock, which is not what I want or expected. I'm hoping that while the chassis sits (car is still under construction, months away from driving it) the leaves will take a set and soften up, but I am not really buying into that. I can stand on the beam and jump up and down and it doesn't move. Bushings aren't binding..this is purely a spring rate problem.

Any suggestions? I've done a search here already and not had much luck.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the valving in the 5150s ?
90xjlimited4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the beam adjustable?

when you put the arms on what angle were they at?
1mechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
what is the valving in the 5150s ?

What does it matter what the valving is? He says it is stiff without the shocks.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed that part Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be off here, but with 4 sets of leaves, that would make them fairly short in comparison to a stock set.And having them shorted would seem to make them harder to twist.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the leaves are shorter but the distance from the center screw and the one on the arms is still the same.
( or did I put my other foot in my mouth. )
90xjlimited4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja5 wrote:
I may be off here, but with 4 sets of leaves, that would make them fairly short in comparison to a stock set.And having them shorted would seem to make them harder to twist.

i understand your therory but as i believe the distance from arm to adjuster (or set screw) remains the same.... i have a widened beam here (waiting for my car) the center (between adjusters) is 4 inches the beam itself is a 6inch over beam....

by no way am i any sort of expert, im just going by measurements....
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your beam is 6'' over & the adjusters are 4'' apart then the leaves would be 1'' longer ( I think ) Rolling Eyes
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way he described it, sounded to me like there are 4 set screws in the beam.i have seen them done that way, where there is like 8 inches or so between each set screw.
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also just be stiff from being not quite broken in.I know everytime i disassemble and reassemble my beam it is very stiff.
90xjlimited4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
if your beam is 6'' over & the adjusters are 4'' apart then the leaves would be 1'' longer ( I think ) Rolling Eyes
that measurement is fron inside of one adjuster to inside of the other adjuster (the brace parts)
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then from center to center you should be 6'' Idea
but we are both off the original subject.
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know, all of the prefab beams require you to cut up four leaf packs, keeping your spring rate the same as stock.

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I posted this and then haven't been back on the web in a few days. I bought 4 "split" leaves from Chirco. There are four grubscrews in the center of the beam. I went with purchased ones because if you simply cut the single long leaves long enough for one set, it doesn't leave(no pun) you with enough to do four leaves, but only two. I haven't thrown my original leaves out, so I might consider making two cut down leaves from the two original long stock ones, in the interests of softening things up, putting one on each side, but I have no information on what the effect of two different spring rate leaves would have on the suspension.
I have heard that these things can be really stiff to start out with. I have checked to see if there is any stiction, and there is not. To reiterate, this beam is stiff as hell before attaching the shocks. I would be less concerned if I thought my car was going to weigh in over 2 tons...the bulk would take care of things.

Scott C
caromin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through the same thing, 6" over beam with 2 adjusters in each tube. I ordered (out of stock) aftermarket leave packs, got tired of waiting so I bought 2 sets of stock torsions and cut them down. All that's required is to cut the pack 1/4" past the center grub screw notch and the stock leaves fit just like the aftermarket ones. Haven't driven it yet but pushing down on the front end I can get it to compress about 2.5" (no limiting straps on it yet) The adjusters are backed off all the way so that isn't an issue. It seems a little stiff to me but I was going to try it out for a few rides and see if it loosened up some. As it stands now I've got about 1" of sag. I figure if it remains too stiff I'll pull the eight outer (split) leaves from the upper tube and replace them with short sections of torsion material to keep the packs in the arms and adjusters securely.
Sandrail
Explorer rail build!

'Rollin Dirt Video!
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original torsion leaves, which I could make just two of the four leaf sets I would need. I could put the OEM ones in one tube and see if that makes a difference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: