Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building an offroad split bus
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Building an offroad split bus Reply with quote

The purpose of this thread is to generate some interest and share information for building an offroad split bus that is meant to be driven offroad (not just look offroad Shocked )! I know I'm not the only one out there Wink. I've certainly seen some crazy stuff come out of Australia and some cool buses at SST. Please add your thoughts, concerns, knowledge, and pictures of your build!

I'm posting to generate some thoughts on how to make my bus better for offroading. There is some interest in an offroad "look" amongst bus folks, but there aren't a whole lot of buses being taken offroad, let alone splits, so I'm looking to the experienced offroad crowd for advice.

I have been working on lifting split buses for a few years now. The current build is an accumulation of some of the things I've learned. Its the best setup so far, but its always evolving and I'm constantly searching for ways to make it better.

Anyway, I've got a 2L type4 upright powered 62 split bus with a dropped small nut reduction box transmission, and an early bay adjustable front beam with 2 1/2" raised late bay disc spindles. Front tires are currently 215 75r15 and rears are 225 75r15. My next goal is to fit 7.00x15 Yokohamas all around, but the problem I'm having is with the front beam.

After a long hard weekend (that spilled into Monday), I installed fresh ball joints and adjusters into the beam. I have since learned that the top adjuster hits the shift rod, requiring the adjuster to be shaved down (I chose this over modifying the shift rod). This isn't really a big deal b/c I really only wanted to use the adjusters to figure out how much I need the beam turned before I weld it. Right now its turned approximately 1/4"; the ride is harsh and the downward suspension travel has been greatly compromised. I read that you can turn a bug bj front beam up to 3/8”, but ¼” turn has proved too extreme on bus bj beam. I’ve successfully turned a king and link pin front beam ¼” on my first offroad bus and it stiffened up the front end some and drove great. I was able to fit 235 75r15’s this way with stock spindles and it never rubbed. A little preload is good. I'll probably drop the turn down to 3/16". The reason I wanted the beam turned was less for lift and more to move the wheels away from the frame and give it some preload so that I can fit the 7.00x15’s.

Another issue I’ve run into is that it seems to me the bj bus beam has less ball travel than a bug beam. If you all are turning 3/8” without binding your ball joints and I’m at ¼” and my ball joints are nearly bound up with very little downward travel left, than I guess I’m SOL. I’ve learned a little too late that bj beams are harder to work with than k&l pin.

Anyone know if they sell high travel ball joints that would fit a bus beam? Maybe they sell something like this for the lowered buses? Any bay bus guys that have run into issues lifting the front end of their bus? I’m not going to go back to the k&l pin front end b/c I need the disc brakes and have a lot of money and time tied up into this one. So I’m looking for ideas to make the current setup work. Eventually my plan in the rear is to go with a no-hop kit and limited slip diff.

Also, shocks: what would you suggest? I was thinking about buying some bilsteins instead of KYB’s this time. Any and all ideas would be helpful, thanks!

K

Here was my first bus:
From this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To this:

Second bus:

And my current bus:
From this:

To this (still a work in progress):

Last edited by travelvw on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:48 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oktr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

KevinMc wrote:
I'm posting to generate some thoughts on how to make my bus better for offroading.

I wondered if you'd pop in here. I just posted a link to your bus pics in another thread.

The mods you'd mentioned elsewhere are a great start, different exhaust for ground clearance, and bumpers. Skid plates for the trails close by if you want to hit some of the rougher ones.

Extended bowl vent for the carb if needed to help prevent flooding.

Pre-filter to keep out the smaller dust particles.

Oh yeah, a bigger winch than I have if you go out there when it's muddy.
'66 Type 1 waiting heart transplant
'60 Baja Volkstruckin' future project
'58 Chassis w/ Beau Hickory Virgo body

Quote from RLAP: "dude i think the last thing you need in your bug is more horsepower, you would only get yourself into trouble"
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
I'm posting to generate some thoughts on how to make my bus better for offroading.

I wondered if you'd pop in here. I just posted a link to your bus pics in another thread.

The mods you'd mentioned elsewhere are a great start, different exhaust for ground clearance, and bumpers. Skid plates for the trails close by if you want to hit some of the rougher ones.

Check my samba gallery for more pics or www.backroadbus.com

Got the new exhaust on, but I want to cut the bottom of the j-tubes and bend it up so that the muffler sits higher. Jared bought the metal to make some bumpers, we're just trying to find someone who can bend c-channel for a reasonable price. Need to go pick up some thick aluminum plate to make a skid plate, but until I have bumpers made, that's not a priority. Have the bowl/splash vent thing done, along with some K&N pre-filters. Personally, I prefer getting muddy/wet/cold using a good come-along to a winch Smile . I have a great one used for pulling trees over by the forest service, just need to re-attatch the hook.

As you can see it will take a little more time before I'm ready for Chandler, but I'm working hard on it. Jared took us out for a quick spin Sunday through the entrance you usally take. Looks like a fun little playground to say the least! Very Happy

K
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oktr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:

Check my samba gallery for more pics or www.backroadbus.com

Got the new exhaust on, but I want to cut the bottom of the j-tubes and bend it up so that the muffler sits higher. Jared bought the metal to make some bumpers, we're just trying to find someone who can bend c-channel for a reasonable price. Need to go pick up some thick aluminum plate to make a skid plate, but until I have bumpers made, that's not a priority. Have the bowl/splash vent thing done, along with some K&N pre-filters. Personally, I prefer getting muddy/wet/cold using a good come-along to a winch Smile . I have a great one used for pulling trees over by the forest service, just need to re-attatch the hook.

As you can see it will take a little more time before I'm ready for Chandler, but I'm working hard on it. Jared took us out for a quick spin Sunday through the entrance you usally take. Looks like a fun little playground to say the least! Very Happy

K

The trail following the power lines is great. Did you go in as far as the big clearing with a hill on the north side? I almost rolled my car there after I saw you guys at O-Reilly's. She's dumping oil bad when warmed up now, getting ready to pull the engine to see what all the damage is.

There's plenty of mud out there.

Quote from RLAP: "dude i think the last thing you need in your bug is more horsepower, you would only get yourself into trouble"
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

oktr6r wrote:

The trail following the power lines is great. Did you go in as far as the big clearing with a hill on the north side? I almost rolled my car there after I saw you guys at O-Reilly's. She's dumping oil bad when warmed up now, getting ready to pull the engine to see what all the damage is.

We pretty much drove in through the fenced area and down a hill to the open area with the powerlines. Not far, just enough to get a feel. Jared didn't want to get stuck without being prepared.

Second entrance was all mud!

K
oktr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:

We pretty much drove in through the fenced area and down a hill to the open area with the powerlines. Not far, just enough to get a feel. Jared didn't want to get stuck without being prepared.

K

Fenced area? Did you go in off 41st street, or Avery Drive? I was thinking you went thru the housing addition, but this sounds more like the construction entrance with the creek crossings further in.

travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Building an offroad split bus Reply with quote

KevinMc wrote:

After a long hard weekend (that spilled into Monday), I installed fresh ball joints and adjusters into the beam. I have since learned that the top adjuster hits the shift rod, requiring the adjuster to be shaved down (I chose this over modifying the shift rod). This isn't really a big deal b/c I really only wanted to use the adjusters to figure out how much I need the beam turned before I weld it. Right now its turned approximately 1/4"; the ride is harsh and the downward suspension travel has been greatly compromised. I read that you can turn a bug bj front beam up to 3/8”, but ¼” turn has proved too extreme on bus bj beam. I’ve successfully turned a king and link pin front beam ¼” on my first offroad bus and it stiffened up the front end some and drove great. I was able to fit 235 75r15’s this way with stock spindles and it never rubbed. A little preload is good. I'll probably drop the turn down to 3/16". The reason I wanted the beam turned was less for lift and more to move the wheels away from the frame and give it some preload so that I can fit the 7.00x15’s.

Another issue I’ve run into is that it seems to me the bj bus beam has less ball travel than a bug beam. If you all are turning 3/8” without binding your ball joints and I’m at ¼” and my ball joints are nearly bound up with very little downward travel left, than I guess I’m SOL. I’ve learned a little too late that bj beams are harder to work with than k&l pin.

Anyone know if they sell high travel ball joints that would fit a bus beam? Maybe they sell something like this for the lowered buses? Any bay bus guys that have run into issues lifting the front end of their bus? I’m not going to go back to the k&l pin front end b/c I need the disc brakes and have a lot of money and time tied up into this one. So I’m looking for ideas to make the current setup work. Eventually my plan in the rear is to go with a no-hop kit and limited slip diff.

Also, shocks: what would you suggest? I was thinking about buying some bilsteins instead of KYB’s this time. Any and all ideas would be helpful, thanks!

K

I'm thinking the reason that 1/4" turn proved to be such a rough ride for my bus is b/c the beam is from a bay which was made to support twice the weight a split bus is capable of placing on it.

K
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:

K

Fenced area? Did you go in off 41st street, or Avery Drive? I was thinking you went thru the housing addition, but this sounds more like the construction entrance with the creek crossings further in.

Avery drive. It was the second or third entrance off of Avery (can't remember).
oktr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:

K

Ok, that's what they call the construction entrance. If you follow the gravel road back, there are 2 creek crossings that you won;t have any problem with. I've been thru both in my car several times.

Between the creeks, there's a trail going up the hill on the left. Don't try that without someone in a 4x4 with a winch with you.

If you cross the 2nd creek, there's a turn going to the left. That's the start of a rough but VW passable trail, as long as it's not too muddy. At the top is a big clearing, with scrub brush and mud holes everywhere. Pass thru that and you might find a steep and rocky trail headed down along the powerlines. Great trail, but not for any vehicle alone.

There was a Jeep and Bronco that went out last night. The guy let his wife drive the Jeep, she buried it to the doors in mud. The Bronco tore his trans up trying to get the Jeep out. Might be some pics from the rescue party that went out this evening on the off-road site you posted to last week.

travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:

K

Ok, that's what they call the construction entrance. If you follow the gravel road back, there are 2 creek crossings that you won;t have any problem with. I've been thru both in my car several times.

Between the creeks, there's a trail going up the hill on the left. Don't try that without someone in a 4x4 with a winch with you.

If you cross the 2nd creek, there's a turn going to the left. That's the start of a rough but VW passable trail, as long as it's not too muddy. At the top is a big clearing, with scrub brush and mud holes everywhere. Pass thru that and you might find a steep and rocky trail headed down along the powerlines. Great trail, but not for any vehicle alone.

There was a Jeep and Bronco that went out last night. The guy let his wife drive the Jeep, she buried it to the doors in mud. The Bronco tore his trans up trying to get the Jeep out. Might be some pics from the rescue party that went out this evening on the off-road site you posted to last week.

Sucks about the Bronco.

Jared has been out there many times in his Scout and a friend's baja bug, so he also is familiar with all of the trails. We'll get together when I get my bus finished up.

K
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed on the 7.00x15's. They seem too much like a strictly offroad/ novelty tire and I need a good all around tire. Bought some 30's for the rear and going to move the 225's to the front.

Need to figure out what to do about my beam issue so I can drive it hard without the tires rubbing all of the time. Probably going to move the position of the beam in relation to the body, down and forward a bit. I'm pissed at the lack of travel in the ball joints compared with the k&l pin. Beam is coming out again this weekend!
Jason C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this build: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=113741

64 Bug
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason C wrote:
Have you seen this build: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=113741

Yep. Took a look at it last night. I really like the bus, but would have kept it VW powered. A watercooled diesel would have been killer. Just my opinion.

Unlike the bay guys my bus is swing axle, so I'm really limited in the rear. I'm probably going to have to drop my front beam down and forward as he did, but I'm going to keep the top torsion bar above the shift rod. If I dropped it below the shift rod, combined with the 225's, 2 1/2" lift spindles, I'd have a reverse rake from hell. Anyway, I'll only have maybe a half inch drop, but combined with moving it forward, I should be able to get the tires to clear without any rubbing. Like I said, I had 235's in the front of my k&l pin bus with only a 1/4" turn and no rubbing, so it shouldn't take much.

Right now my front is 1 1/2" higher than the rear. When I move the 225's to the front and add new 30's in the rear, I should only be off 1" even with the slight beam drop. This should also put me at I think 18" in the rear and 19" in the front from the bottom of the jack point to the ground. Pretty good for a swing axle split, I think.

K
Jason C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinMc wrote:
. This should also put me at I think 18" in the rear and 19" in the front from the bottom of the jack point to the ground. Pretty good for a swing axle split, I think.

That is good. Do you have any pics of the rear set up? I have a redux in my baja and I only have 12 inches to the jack point with 30 inch tires.

64 Bug
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason C wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
. This should also put me at I think 18" in the rear and 19" in the front from the bottom of the jack point to the ground. Pretty good for a swing axle split, I think.

That is good. Do you have any pics of the rear set up? I have a redux in my baja and I only have 12 inches to the jack point with 30 inch tires.

Sorry, no current pics: I lost them all on a computer that crashed. I took some today and will transfer them to samba tonight

I dropped the transmission within the frame, which gave me another couple inches in the rear. Not sure how your springplates mount to the transmission or if we are just comparing apples to oranges... I also modified the bump stops and adjusted the spring plates to 24.5 degrees. I think 19 to 20 is stock. Didn't drop the entire frame which I've seen done before. This really does nothing.

K
oktr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:

K

Sucks about the Bronco.

Jared has been out there many times in his Scout and a friend's baja bug, so he also is familiar with all of the trails. We'll get together when I get my bus finished up.

K

Yeah, the guy that owns that Baja is Chris I think? He used to live right up the street from me. Haven't seen him in 2-3 years.

I've gotta either fix some major oil leaks or swap engines. I have a line on one that I hope to go get this weekend so I can drive the car while going thru the 1776.

When we're both ready, I'll see if we can get some Jeeps out there with us.

travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:

K

Sucks about the Bronco.

K

Yeah, the guy that owns that Baja is Chris I think? He used to live right up the street from me. Haven't seen him in 2-3 years.

I've gotta either fix some major oil leaks or swap engines. I have a line on one that I hope to go get this weekend so I can drive the car while going thru the 1776.

Yep, that was Chris' bug. The one that is now in pieces over at Jared's for no apparent reason.

No jeeps please. 4WD's are too slow. I also don't like going offroading with people that don't have a clue what they're doing. Sorry if that sounds picky or bitchy, but the Shasta Snow Trip just burnt me out on that!

Best of luck with your engine. Finding another to use for now is a good plan.

K
oktr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Offroad split bus build Reply with quote

KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:
KevinMc wrote:
oktr6r wrote:

K

Sucks about the Bronco.

K

Yep, that was Chris' bug. The one that is now in pieces over at Jared's for no apparent reason.

No jeeps please. 4WD's are too slow. I also don't like going offroading with people that don't have a clue what they're doing. Sorry if that sounds picky or bitchy, but the Shasta Snow Trip just burnt me out on that!

Best of luck with your engine. Finding another to use for now is a good plan.

K

No problem on the Jeeps. You might change your mind when you see the power line trails though. They do go slow, but the rough terrain dictates that.

The engine I'm trying to get is a 1500, but it'll just be a temp replacement. Once I have the 1776 back to being off-road ready, I may build a single seater just for Chandler. Tube frame, minimal body, and as much ground clearance as I can get. Might have to figure out how they build the chain drive buggies and borrow that so I can get about 2' of clearance...

travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transmission drop job:

vwbusride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Kevin.
What did you do for the shifting coupler in this case? How much does this modification drop the motor?
Cool thread.

Aaron
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: