Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire Safety Question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Boys and Girls...

I have read Most.. of the tire stuff information on this site and elsewhere. But I still have a few questions.

First, I have an 84 Westy. Let's do some arithmetic on the LOAD rating issue. Forget about Reinforced Sidewall and tire pressure stuff for the time being.

Now, according to my sticker, the GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT (GVW) on the rear axle is 2866 lbs. or 1433. GVW according to my VW owners manual is a full loaded van with a person in every seat (150 lbs. each) plus luggage. So, this is the MAX load.

Now, if you put a Passenger tire on this vehicle you need to derate it by dividing by 110% according to this thread. So... a Passenger tire with a 98 load rating of 1653 lbs. capacity is therefore de-rated to 1503 lbs.
It works. A passenger tire with 96 load rating of 1565 is de-rate to 1423. Within 10 pounds for my vehicle.

The second test for "Normal Load" does not control. If you further de-rate the tire and reduce the load of the vehicle, the MAX load still controls. Both the 96 and 98 meet the "Normal" load criteria.

Am I missing something?

Oh.. right. Tire pressure. Well, the tire pressures requirements on my vehicle sticker are for specific sizes 14" tires. I am running 15" wheels and tires so they don't seem to apply. If a tire is RATED for the LOAD at a specific PRESSURE and it meets the requirements, why would you need to increase it to meet these higher pressures???
(Mine are like 46 rear and 36 front)

Salud...

Tully Mars
_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why!!!
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said mightyart..
Shocked

this is one of those topics that has a lot of variables and can insight a lot of different opinions

the fact that VW recommends much different pressures for different sized 14" tires leads me to believe that if it had been fitted with 205/65 15 tires from the factory, that they would have suggested yet another inflation pressure for that specific size.

so to say "my sticker says 39 front, 48 rear, (which was the requirement for the 205/70 14 I believe) so that tire won't work" does not apply for a different sized tire.

Did VW fit vanagons in SA with 15" wheels from the factory? What size & psi did they recommend if so? Anyone know?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the fact that VW recommends much different pressures for different sized 14" tires leads me to believe that if it had been fitted with 205/65 15 tires from the factory, that they would have suggested yet another inflation pressure for that specific size.

so to say "my sticker says 39 front, 48 rear, (which was the requirement for the 205/70 14 I believe) so that tire won't work" does not apply for a different sized tire.

Why do you think that having a different sized tire would require a different pressure?

I do however agree that the 205/70/14 Michelin with the Reinforced sidewalls with a load index of 97 were probably about as weak of a tire as you would want to go in a vanagon. Of course they do not make them anymore so the issue is moot.

I would suggest going to at least a 99 load index tire (if not a higher rated one) if you are using 14" or 15" or even 16" tires.

You are driving this thing down ther road with about 4 square feet of rubber on the road at any one time in a van full of kids or something precious to you. Chose wisely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at any tire manufacturer spec sheet, the same tire with the same construction and same PSI rating will have different loads depending on tire size. It all has to do with the height of the tire sidewall and the footprint the tread sees on the ground. The bigger the footprint, generally the higher the "total" tire load rating.

With that said, there are so many variables that each tire in each size range should be evaluated individually. One size may meet the rating but another size for the same tire may not.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=General&model=Grabber+AT+2&tirePageLocQty=

On a side note, my van recently weighed in at a whopping 6300 lbs fully loaded with gear, ice chests, dog and two of my buddies riding with me. Believe the weight...it's true.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tully Mars wrote:
Okay Boys and Girls...

I have read Most.. of the tire stuff information on this site and elsewhere. But I still have a few questions.

First, I have an 84 Westy. Let's do some arithmetic on the LOAD rating issue. Forget about Reinforced Sidewall and tire pressure stuff for the time being.

Now, according to my sticker, the GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT (GVW) on the rear axle is 2866 lbs. or 1433. GVW according to my VW owners manual is a full loaded van with a person in every seat (150 lbs. each) plus luggage. So, this is the MAX load.

Now, if you put a Passenger tire on this vehicle you need to derate it by dividing by 110% according to this thread. So... a Passenger tire with a 98 load rating of 1653 lbs. capacity is therefore de-rated to 1503 lbs.
It works. A passenger tire with 96 load rating of 1565 is de-rate to 1423. Within 10 pounds for my vehicle.

The second test for "Normal Load" does not control. If you further de-rate the tire and reduce the load of the vehicle, the MAX load still controls. Both the 96 and 98 meet the "Normal" load criteria.

Am I missing something?

Salud...

Tully Mars

http://busdepot.com/details/tires.jsp
(P)passenger tire needs to be at least load range 99 to meet the minimum.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know that the original Michelins on my van, 205/70R14 reinforced, with a 97 load rating didn't meet specs. Still the best riding, best handling, and longest lasting tires I have had on any of my Vanagons out of the ten or so sets of tires that I have run by now. If I could still get them that is what I would run, and leave you guys to debate what is second best.
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

Why do you think that having a different sized tire would require a different pressure?

Check out your door jamb sticker...
mine specifies one set of recommended pressures for the 185R14 size, and then a different set of pressures for the 205/70 14 size.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the difference in pressure?

I don't know. I don't have that sticker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 185R14 6 ply the rears are 53psi

and

for the 205/70R14 reinforced the rears are 40
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

I couldn't remember exactly what the sticker said, so I just went and looked at it...
it said to me:

185R14 C 6PR - front 39, rear 48
205/70R14 97 - front 30, rear 40

This is on an '86 weekender.
So I had the 39/48 reversed in my mind between the two sizes in my earlier post.

I guess my main point is though, that you can't say just because a tire won't hold 48psi, that it isn't suitable to use.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamos wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:

I couldn't remember exactly what the sticker said, so I just went and looked at it...
it said to me:

185R14 C 6PR - front 39, rear 48
205/70R14 97 - front 30, rear 40

This is on an '86 weekender.
So I had the 39/48 reversed in my mind between the two sizes in my earlier post.

I guess my main point is though, that you can't say just because a tire won't hold 48psi, that it isn't suitable to use.

Your point is well taken. 48 psi should not automatically toss a tire out.

Keep in mind that the 205/70R14 Michelin MXL (I think) that came on some vanagons was a reinforced sidewall passenger tire that had a load index rating of 97 and a max presure of 40 psi right on the sidewall. For some reason, Michelin quit making them and VW quit using them and went to a load index of 99 in later models.

I know some people that used to use the 205/70R14 now use a 195R14 will good results and are using pressures similar to the 185R14 number you point out. I am OK with that and that is what I would suggest.

What I am trying to say correctly is that you should use a tire with a load index that is suitable for your bus or vanagon. For me that is a proper LT or Commercial rated reinforced sidewall tire with a minimum load index of 97 and 1580 pounds per tire that will take the air pressure that VW suggests to start with. Personally I ike a higher load index of 100 or better. That is my choice however.

For years and years people (including me) have put passenger car tires on these things and lived to tell about it. The handling is not quite as good, they are more likely to overheat due to under inflation, and they won't wear as well....but they will work. The closer you are to what VW requires the better off you are, but it is really your decision to make. I would suggest that you "choose wisely".

I have made numerous bad decisions in my life and lived to tell about it, but I am old enough now to know that I shouldn't push my luck by taking a chance I don't need to take.

BTW, in this state, if your tires do not meet or exceed the weight rating for what came on your car, you will not pass inspection. Just won't happen.
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelins, no matter what passenger tire they produce, are designed to ride soft...2 or 3 ply is just playing with words...heres a good example of being a tire "kicker" anybody can do...go into your tire store and "feel and flex" the side walls of for example the 2 0r 3 ply Mich.LTX and then compare it to for example the Goodyear Triple Tred...although this tire is rated 2ply, but the plys are much "thicker" which makes the sidewall extremely stable and also good for up to 44lbs...another slightly different example..the Toyo "Open Country series" I have seen on some commercial Dodge/Frieghtliner 2500s...(one driver told me that these tires were more suited for the pot holed street driving he experienced)...proper tire "pressure" for the application can be determined by simple tests (google)...generally speaking, you want the tire tred to "sit evenly across" the pavement as to prevent any abnormal wear and to promote good brakeing

Last edited by Petervw on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tire debate is really about two things, people not wanting to spend the extra money on the right tires, or trying to justify keeping the tires they just bought.
If you have mushy passenger tires on your van it is costing you alot more in gas then you would be saving on tires these days.

Last edited by mightyart on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petervw wrote:
Michelins, no matter what tire they produce are designed to ride soft...2 or 3 ply is just playing with words...heres a good example of being a tire "kicker" anybody can do...go into your tire store and "feel and flex" the side walls of for example the 2 0r 3 ply Mich.LTX and then compare it to for example the Goodyear Triple Tred...although this tire is rated 2ply, but the plys are much "thicker" which makes the sidewall extremely stable and also good for up to 44lbs...another slightly different example..the Toyo "Open Country series" I have seen on some commercial Dodge/Frieghtliner 2500s...(one driver told me that these tires were more suited for the pot holed street driving he experienced)...proper tire "pressure" for the application can be determined by simple tests (google)...generally speaking, you want the tire tred to "sit evenly across" the pavement as to prevent any abnormal wear and to promote good brakeing

Feel the flex on my Michelin Aglis tires, they don't.
They are made for this application.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy to add my ignorance to this tire issue. About 7 months ago, I had a blowout on one of my Continental tires. Not the tires fault, as I had imported this Westy from Germany, and all 4 tires showed some sidewall cracks from age. I went to a Local Dallas tire store and asked for 4 new tires. The sales rep got on his computer and came up with a set of 4 tires and said he'd have them in a day. The follwoing day they were installed.

I now have a very "mooshy" ride, with lots of sidewall flex. After visiting with Mightyart and seeing the tires on his Westy, I'm convinced I was sold tires that are not efficiantly rated (load wise) for this Vanagon Westy. I plan to have a new set installed very soon, even though these tires have only a couple of thousand miles on them. In no way do I want my Vanagon to be as the pictures above, due to my stupidity. I should have done my own homework, based on the good advice provided here.

To all that are buying tires soon (or see this thread in a search function), use this information to your advantage. Don't trust the tire saleman at the tire store in all cases. I doubt they install tires on Westys that often, so they are most likey going to get you to buy whatever they can get on hand quickly.

Lesson learned for me.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
Petervw wrote:
Michelins, no matter what tire they produce are designed to ride soft...2 or 3 ply is just playing with words...heres a good example of being a tire "kicker" anybody can do...go into your tire store and "feel and flex" the side walls of for example the 2 0r 3 ply Mich.LTX and then compare it to for example the Goodyear Triple Tred...although this tire is rated 2ply, but the plys are much "thicker" which makes the sidewall extremely stable and also good for up to 44lbs...another slightly different example..the Toyo "Open Country series" I have seen on some commercial Dodge/Frieghtliner 2500s...(one driver told me that these tires were more suited for the pot holed street driving he experienced)...proper tire "pressure" for the application can be determined by simple tests (google)...generally speaking, you want the tire tred to "sit evenly across" the pavement as to prevent any abnormal wear and to promote good brakeing

I don't need too..the person in question has 16" wheels and is not looking for a summer tire "application"
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petervw wrote:
mightyart wrote:
Petervw wrote:

I don't need too..the person in question has 16" wheels and is not looking for a summer tire "application"

Yes he was, but I was answering to what you wrote which was:
Petervw wrote:
Michelins, no matter what tire they produce are designed to ride soft
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
Petervw wrote:
mightyart wrote:
Petervw wrote:

Yes he was, but I was answering to what you wrote which was:
Petervw wrote:
Michelins, no matter what tire they produce are designed to ride soft
I have corrected that in my original post
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: