Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mysticalclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

Has anyone used the Restoration Shop from tcpglobal? It's there in house paint and appears to have good reviews on their webpage (of course!) but I can't find anything about it anywhere else. I'm wondering how the color match is? and how long I can expect it to last (for the single stage urethane)?

I'm thinking about using the PPG epoxy primer (DP) because it's supposed to be really good for protecting the metal from elements and then using something cheaper like matrix or restoration shop. This paint job is basically to protect it from rusting - in other words not a show car.

Also, will a gallon be enough for a vanagon?

Thanks!
RWalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPG has a line of commercial paint that is high quality but inexpensive because it is only available in about 30 colors or so. That's a good option. Omni is the lower grade PPG paint and is pretty decent and much less expensive. If you are going with a good primer, go with a good paint that will be a solid base for a higher quality paint later.

Flowery Branch, Georgia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used TCPGlobal a couple times. I just used their urethane primer this week and it worked fine. I painted a car with their Restoration Shop 'Dove Gray' base coat clear coat kit and have to admit the color layed really nice but I had trouble with the clear coat. I'm going to try a single stage paint from them next. You definately can't beat those prices.
mysticalclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van is in the paint booth- buying the paint next week. Decided after talking to a few people here, and a few different paint stores to go with nason single stage urethane. I'll post pics after I spray it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's an picture taken the day I bought it. Smile

marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very unsatisfied with TCP's pearl white (single stage acrylic eurathane) - it was WAY too yellow - being that they are an online vendor, i didn;'t even try to get them to adjust the tint, nor did I try to go to a paint shop with it and have them tweek it -

i thought it layed down better than the dupont centari pearl white that I used instead (and centari is a much closer but not perfect match)...TCP's paint seemed like high quality paint (my first time sopraying automotive paint)...I think it is a good deal for someone not looking to duplicate a factory color (the creamy yellow "pearl white" was actually a really nice color)...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
mysticalclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I believe that is the same color I'm getting. I don't need a perfect match because I'm painting the entire van but don't know if I would be happy with a yellow tint?? I'm buying my paint this week- still thinking of getting nason.

marklaken wrote:
I was very unsatisfied with TCP's pearl white (single stage acrylic eurathane) - it was WAY too yellow - being that they are an online vendor, i didn;'t even try to get them to adjust the tint, nor did I try to go to a paint shop with it and have them tweek it -

i thought it layed down better than the dupont centari pearl white that I used instead (and centari is a much closer but not perfect match)...TCP's paint seemed like high quality paint (my first time sopraying automotive paint)...I think it is a good deal for someone not looking to duplicate a factory color (the creamy yellow "pearl white" was actually a really nice color)...
Superblue67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

I am a DIY guy i have about 4 paint jobs under my belt that came out pretty good. But i just painted my 54 chevy w 1 stage eurathane paint restorations midnight blue pearl. Well beware!!! they sent me the paint no paperwork or warnings. Gallon had shaker clips so i assumed it had been shakin. So i thought a good stirr w a stick & i would be good 2 go. Well i had a little mishap on front fender so i stripped & repainted. Well now i am down to 1/3 of a gallon. & now i have a car that is two totally different colors. So not real happy!!! I am not a pro but i believe tcp global advertises serving the DIY painter it would be nice to see some warnings on paper come with the paint.
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

I’ve used both the acrylic enamel and acrylic urethane with good results. Their color matching is spot on.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

My experience with TCP is with their HotRodFlatz line.Even if you have never painted, I would assure you that you could get a nice cheap flat job with it even if your pet monkey held the sprayer. If you're liking the look of flats, that is!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

I use TCP single stage urethane. Stuff lays down nice and has excellent coverage. I use a little bit of their flow enhancer.
I had a customer who provided me with Omni single stage and it was like shooting water, thin, required multiple coats, total garbage.
TCP also has excellent color matching from my experience.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

I’ve shot Omni, don’t add reducer. I reduced a gold metallic and it covered a spray out card in 4 coats. It is thin though.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

The TCP restoration shop line is great for the price. I really like the single stage urethane

I use SPI brand primers. Lots of people like them
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

I know this is a super old post but am wanting to try their single stage acrylic urethane... wondering if anyone had any follow ups on their paint jobs where you used their products?

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

I have not used their single stage paint, so I cannot comment on that. I am in the process of spraying my 1990 VW Jetta with their two stage. I will include photos below. Notes on this job: TCP Global Bright Jalapeno Red, with their clear. I used a R500 gun off Amazon, with a small (8 gallon) compressor. Sprayed with garage door open, did not wet the floor, had a fan running, did nothing to try and reduce airborne dust/dirt or bugs. I sprayed 3 coats, 4th coat I added about 1/3 retarder to slow it down and let it flow. Sprayed all panels laying flat. I had considered using my Wagner Motocoat for this but decided to try out the R500 gun. I will have to do some wet sanding and buffing, oh well. I do not have access to a paint booth.
I had no problems with their paint, but I am not a pro.
Oh, these photos are of the inside of a rear door, which will be covered with a door card but I sprayed it anyway. I will flip it over and paint the outside next. Sprayed this door, two fenders, and two sunroofs.

Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

Seems like some good feedback to me, appreciate the reply!

How did it go spraying with the small air compressor? I have a little 10 gallon... assumed I would have to upgrade...

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration Shop paint from Tcpglobal.com Reply with quote

The gun I used is a LVLP (low volume low pressure). If you use another gun you will have to look at the CFM requirements for the gun.
- I laid my pieces out so I could move from piece to piece, stopping at several points along the way to move around and look at the reflection to make sure I did not miss any spots. This gave the small compressor I was using time to catch up. If I had the car assembled with fenders, doors, hood etc all on the car and I tried to paint the whole car in one shot, the compressor probably would not have been able to keep up. I was able to paint these piecemeal and make it work.
I thought instead of just telling you I didn't have problems with their paint, I would show you some results. Any issues with this paint job are my fault due to inadequate prep, filthy garage, etc. I have no complaints about the material. Compressor I used was a California Air Tools Ultra Quiet machine.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: