Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

starter won't crank, voltage looks good at starter/solenoid
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: starter won't crank, voltage looks good at starter/solenoid Reply with quote

1986 Westy

I measured about 12.4 volts at the battery and the big lead into the starter. When the ignition switch is turned, I also see about the same voltage at the solenoid input. Is there anything else that could cause this or do these symptoms conclusively indicate the starter/solenoid? I haven't tried to tap the starter with a hammer yet, but before I get working on this tomorrow, I wanted to see if its feasible anything else could be related.

I just bought this van a couple weeks ago and have probably only started it 10 times, but it started just fine all those times. I drove it into my garage and that's where it has been since then. I have been going through everything in the engine so i have had a lot of things disconnected. I expected to have a problem or two after putting it back together, but I can't figure out what would cause this other than a failing starter? It all just seems too coincidental to be a failed starter.

Thanks,
K
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it does seem likely that you caused it. How about the ground straps, especially the big one at the nose of the transmission? These cars are old enough that any of the major or minor wires could corrode completely off by now. I'd do a complete visual exam of the wires and tug on them to make sure they are not falling off or just loose.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem on and off for 2 years!! The wife has got fed up of bump starting it so yesterday i recrimped the end of the 'exciter' wire that goes to the starter. I am hoping that will cure it, and it only took 2 minutes.
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked the transmission ground strap. I did actually clean the ground connections running from the head over to the left side of the engine bay. I will also completely remove the ground strap from the battery. i used a wire brush on the terminal and the battery post, but maybe it warrants more attention.
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

further debugging:

1. took battery from westy and put it into another car of mine, started no problem. so the battery should be ok.

2. re-cleaned the battery connections and terminals. nothing.

3. removed ground strap from tranny to chassis, cleaned up both ends, reconnected. nothing.

4. per a samba suggestion, ran jumper cable from negative battery terminal to engine block near starter to rule out issue in ground circuit. nothing.

i just saw a post abut a crumbling ground strap on the starter, i will check this next.

is there ANYTHING else that could disable the starter? in the course of going through the engine i disconnected about every wire and its very possible i forget to reconnect something or put something back in the wrong place.
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh...so i pull the starter and go and get it tested. works fine. i think my next test will be to bypass the 12V circuit from that battery and see if the problem is there. i read 12v at the supply and solenoid with ignition on, but perhaps it can't carry the necessary current?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried jumping from the big stud to the terminal where the wire pushes on? This is how you'd hook up a remote starter switch.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally tested the continuity of the lead from the battery to the starter and found some resistance. Cleaned up the terminal at the starter and the resistance went to 0, although i haven't tested it yet as the starter is out of the rig. The starter is really old, so I am thinking of proactively changing it.
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved. Just to close the loop on this one, after thoroughly cleaning up the terminals on the starter connections, it fired right up. What was interesting was that before I started my work on the engine, the starter was working fine. I saw the connectors looked a little dirty so i disassembled and wire brushed the connectors. Put it back together and it didn't work. It required me hitting the connectors with a dremel wire wheel to get them clean enough. Visually, it really wasn't apparent they had a problem. Perhaps some of the corrosion that was on the periphery of the terminal made its way into the contact surface when reconnected. Good lesson learned.
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting what the problem was and the solution. Often for the time we spent solving the problem, people forget to post the solution, me included. Who knows, any one of us may need this thread in the future. the SOLUTION is the most important part!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: