Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hot wiring
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find your key blank by looking in the classifieds on this website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoyfulC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's terrific! We'd given up hope after VW dealerships in Toronto and Ottawa weren't able to help us, and after checking with key vendors all over the world on the internet. We have strong reason to believe the car originally came from behind the old Iron Curtain.

It's nice to know we can get it here for sure!

..c..
MOCHABILL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: key blanks Reply with quote

This guy is in Maryland,but he ships.

http://www.mark1vws.com/id3.html

Smile
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many places can cut keys for VW's. Just not the local hardware store, or WalMart. Or try a local lock smith. They may have the blanks, and can cut the key.
On line, www.Mark1vws.com is who I use. He can either send you a blank, or if you send him the key code, he can cut it from code.

If the key you have will open the door, and the ignition, just pull the outer door handle and get the key code off the handle.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to remove the messed up wiring for a fog light that the previous owner of my bus put in and accidentally started the truck. Luckily no one was in front of me as it lurched forward about 5 feet.

I've since gone through all the underdash wiring and cleaned up the mess he'd created.

If you really want to hotwire your VW, try adding in foglights....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoyfulC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe!

Somewhere on one of the desktops, I have all the info re: our key, including pics and markings. I'll try to dig it out tonight and follow up on some of the suggestions here. I'll also post it. Thanks you guys! Seriously, a few times over the years, we have looked and looked for the right blank. It would be one less worry to find one.

And while I don't think anyone's an a** for not wanting to release information that could put someone's baby in jeopardy, my husband and I are determined to do it this weekend. As I recall, it's just a matter of getting the right wires connected. An old boyfriend had an ugly Dodge or Chrysler or something back in college and somehow we lost the only keys -- we didn't drive it often, but that's how we always started it. (And yeah, I know -- careful. That flesh burning may not be the neighbour's barbecue.)

..c..
oibovveroi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was about 8 or 9 years old when my grandfather lost his keys to his bug,thats when i learned how easy it was to hotwire a bug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oibovveroi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: hot wiring Reply with quote

cool dub wrote:
obviously it was a mistake to ask this on line. usually volkswagen people arent complete A$$#*!%$

im on a gunsite and its like how people want toknow how to make an ak full auto.
its not the people but what you asked.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, if your car is 68 or newer, hot wiring will get the engine started, but it will not unlock the steering column.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would also be good to know if your ignition goes out and leaves you stranded or key breaks off in the ignition. Not all people are theives.

64 Bug
JoyfulC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true. Skillz & Knowledgez are always good to have. The first year we had the Beetle, my husband insisted we take it on a trip about seven hours away. Halfway there, the clutch cable broke. He figured our whole long weekend was pooched, but I'd taken an advanced driving course before we married that included how to drive a standard without using the clutch. True, one of us had to get out and push when we came to full stops, but it turned out to be the most fun weekend ever. Except for fighting over who got to drive and who got to push, of course!

..c..
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bus stolen. I think what they did was to run a wire from the battery to the coil, got the bus rolling and popped the clutch.
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by a yard sale one day and the guy had a 62 Beetle sitting in the yard. I ask him about it and he says he hasn't driven it in months. He thinks the starter is screwed up. I told him that I own the bus on the next block and asked if he wanted me to take a look. After about 15 seconds I figured out that he isn't getting power to the starter, so I **** the ****** and used a ********* to **** the ******and basically hotwired the car and started it. He had recently replaced the ignition switch because the key fit kinda loose. The new switch was bad.

First time I ever hotwired a car, but it was pretty simple. GM trucks are even easier.
JoyfulC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Besides, if your car is 68 or newer, hot wiring will get the engine started, but it will not unlock the steering column.

Oh delightful! But... that's odd. Ours is a 70, and I don't think the steering column locks. Like I say, the family we got it from we affectionately nicknamed "The Serbian Mafia" and I don't think the car has been in Canada much longer than we've owned it.

..c..
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howiesfamily wrote:
GM trucks are even easier.

Alot of 88-98 GM pickups have keys that will fit other ones Laughing we had around 5 at one time, and yes many would unlock with one key Laughing
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Starting when keys arer gone. Reply with quote

The easiest way is to take the wire of of the licence light and hook it to the hot side of the coil. Then turn the lights on. Have someone give you a push,bump start it and away you go
. Or jump the big red wire from the back of the Ignition switxh to the black wire and eithe rpush it or use a second jumper to the remaining wire which will be the starter and away you go.
This is not rocket science. All of my cars either have locking coluums or secondary kills so you would mot get them started if the key was in the Ignition.
Party on Garth.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread made me laugh. Anyone that has done any work on these cars knows how easy it is to bypass the ignition. And if you haven't done any work, but want to know how to hot wire it, even after being told you wouldn't know what to do. Good answer stacy

For the person that made the gun reference, asking how to hot wire a vehicle and make a gun full auto is completely different, because if you make a gun full auto you commit a felony, hot wiring a vehicle you do not.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you are hot wiring the car for. If it is to steal it, that is a felony.

Stuggi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, If you can't get it done by just looking at the wiring, then no answer on here is going to help you. And hotwiring a car is a lot more easier than getting the electrical system to work as it's supposed to, as you bypass most of it.

Orange VW Fest!
Pulled out of a Lake Fest!
JoyfulC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find my old pics anywhere so I took some new. http://picasaweb.google.ca/JoyfulChristine/VWKey?authkey=Gv1sRgCN6O1sqV_MuuhAE&feat=directlink

On one side, the key says "Cole National USA."

On the other, it says

FO
National Key
GEI (or GE1)

Y'all keep your fingers crossed for me (S.V.P.) that this time I find a suitable blank!

..Christine..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: