Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black plastic alternator ring
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Not sure what to call it or have a part # handy...it's this black plastic ring that fits over the front of the alternator. Engine is a 2.0L type IV.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can't find it on the fiches but if someone can point me in the direction of a part number or source for buying a new one that would be great. I'm not sure if it's integral for keeping the alternator cool or not but I would like to have one in place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was just browsing through Ratwell's gallery and he has a photo of the seal with a part #: 022 903 203.

Looks like this is it from Bus Depot? http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=022903203
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's it. they are NLA. if you find a new one for sale, grab it.
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I've got an email into Busted Bus about it as well.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one in your picture is the later one. It will not fit early tin. Read about K here: http://www.bus-boys.com/aircoolsystem.html

Even though Bus Boys shows a price for the later tin.... do not believe it! It is NLA. They need to update the website.

K. 021-119-281U Alternator Coverplate, Used 1972 to 1974 CALL

K. 022-119-281 Alternator Coverplate, New 1972 to 1979 $21.11

K. 022-119-281U Alternator Coverplate, Used 1972 to 1979 CALL

Note: When using the 022-119-281 plate as a replacement on 1972 to 1974 models, the plastic gasket for the Alternator must be replaced with newer style - order 022-903-203.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a replacement by cutting up and antifreeze jug. Been there for years now and has given no problem to date.
dylan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try Way Out Auto Salvage in AR: 479-665-4126. They will probably only have the used part but you are guaranteed it will be right, they have never failed me on countless orders.
dylan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try Way Out Auto Salvage in AR: 479-665-4126. They will probably only have the used part but you are guaranteed it will be right, they have never failed me on countless orders.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Dag,

To think of all of these that got thrown away...

Did anyone ever start re-popping these so many years later?

Anyone have one?

What’s That Noise?!?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Well, people have them, but I would wager that most are in service, or part of a parts stash.

But now that you mention it, this would be a good candidate for 3-D printing. It's plastic, mostly flat, and would be easy to do.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Clatter - pm me with an offer for one with USPS if you are interested. The photo was taken today. You might try VW of Germany because that is where these two new ones came from but it was in 2009. I bought a bunch but these two are all that are left.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Clatter - pm me with an offer for one with USPS if you are interested. The photo was taken today. You might try VW of Germany because that is where these two new ones came from but it was in 2009. I bought a bunch but these two are all that are left.

I want one:D
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

One should maybe go to someone with the skills to 3-D print them, from some of the stuff I see in this thread the ring doesn't like much of a challenge: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609153

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Not sure they have any left now as i bought the last 10 back in 2010(well, thats what they told me)
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

SGKent, I drew up a CAD model based on the trace drawing and your photo posted above. Do you mind having a look to see if you think that is close?

Questions I have:
- check the overall dimensions
- thickness for 3D print I set at 3.5 mm -- I'm wondering what the VW part measures at
- what's the height for the lip around the inside circle?

I'll share the STEP file once it's dialed so people can print their own.

Thanks for any help!

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

The spare is back in storage and the one I sent to Clatter isn't showing up as delivered. It has taken 5 days to move from San Jose to Clatter's Post Office even though it was 2-day delivery. As soon as he gets it maybe he can measure it. As soon as I get some time I'll get my last one down if he hasn't gotten to it. Thank you for working on this. The originals are a little flexible if that means anything as to the kind of plastic needed.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

I’ll get that thing in-hand likely tomorrow.

Then, I’ll take all kinds of measurements..

This is just in time,
Because these might just be the last NOS examples if this part available to the community.

Thanks for stepping up!

What’s That Noise?!?
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

gatorjos wrote:
SGKent, I drew up a CAD model based on the trace drawing and your photo posted above.

Thanks for any help!

for those of us who dont have 3D printers handy, would you be interested in printing a few extras and selling them?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
gatorjos wrote:
SGKent, I drew up a CAD model based on the trace drawing and your photo posted above.

Thanks for any help!

for those of us who dont have 3D printers handy, would you be interested in printing a few extras and selling them?

X2

Is $20 a fair price?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Yarkle wrote:
gatorjos wrote:

Thanks for any help!

X2

Is $20 a fair price?

I wouldn't think so but I don't 3d print yet. The item will need to be something strong, flexible, and heat resistant. One of the car programs was 3d printing something similar on a high end printer yesterday and it took 18 hours - essentially all afternoon and night. What is the value of tying up a 3d printer a lot of hours? I would guess $20 is too low. The last one of these original in Classifieds sold for $75 +/-. I won't divulge what I sold to Clatter for with shipping but it cost $6.70 to ship it. That means one is offering $13.30 for the part which has to cover the print material, printer wear, and someone's time. Just saying.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: