Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How does your Partner feel about your VW?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtDgr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mine feels pretty good! She is my main codog in my class 11 racing!
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About two weeks after I met my wife I told her I like to work on old cars. She asked "Do you know anyone that works on old VWs? I have one that needs some work". I about fell on the floor. Approaching our one year anniversary. She has a '75 Wizard kit that she bought and drove in Germany. I took her to a race/show and Farmington and now she wants me to build her a race car.

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took our square on a road trip to CA for a birthday party. She kept saying in amazement 'this car is pretty comfortable!'. Even blowing a tire on a fast downgrade didn't faze her. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hanzeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the first serious thing I told my gf after we met and things got more serious was: you that I'm into cars, but I'm really into cars. Everything is discussable, but if you'd ever put me before making the decision wether it's "her or the car", there's the door.
She was surprised but understood(lucky me Smile) and now 4 years later she's more then ok with it. Loves driving along and smoking the occasional Honda. Wishes i'd spent less time and money on my cars and more with her though. But I really can't complain. My brother's gf is different though, shops for hundreds of euros at a time and complains if he needs new plugs Confused

'73 Beetle ex daily driver
'74 Fastback Project
'53 Std drag Project
'87 Vanagon-half of it left!
and some more in the family.
evlwevl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first met my wife, I had my '55 prostreet bug and just recently sold my '72 showcar that I drove barely on weekends. She knew I was really into cars and VWs specifically. She enticed me with stories of her '70 autostick and how she had always wanted suicide doors before she sold it. Well eventually we married and her tune has changed a little. Since then I purchased a '63 baja project that I have turned into a parts car and will eventually build a manx style buggy. She didnt complain that much about the 400 dollars I used to purchase that car, it was more about the "junk yard" appearance of my backyard storage slab I specifically built to work on cars. I recently added a '59 bug to the stable and although she was lukewarm to the idea, she now "HATES" not only that bug, but all my bugs. I guess I spend too much time in the garage and in reality that might be 6 hours during the weekend. My goal in this life is to not only turn her hatred around but to eventually have her buy a bug too that I can restore as well.

55 Prostreet Bug
59 Daily Driver Bug
63 Baja
00 Turbo New Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidbus wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
Sidbus wrote:

Wow, that's some awesome wife: bunch of dirty VW parts all over a carpet in the living room, and she's smiling! She's a keeper.

Umm, she IS smiling, right? She's not getting ready to throw something at you?

Was a smile until she noticed one of her bedsheets went missing!! Wink

Bus fully assembled and running for 6+ months now but she hasn't gone for a ride yet. Maybe later today. Smile
mallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife used to drive my Euro '59 20 years ago, and didn't complain much. My newly restored '64 she doesn't want to ride in, unless she is drunk. Too loud, smells funny, etc. etc. Her loss, my gain, the car is a blast to drive (110hp). v Smile

'64 Resto Custom Bug - Daily Driver
'57 Sunroof Bug - Endless Project

Living beneath the Sagebrush Canopy
carcass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wife's "ok" with my bug.

The '67 Deluxe Bus she's driven for the last 29 years is the one she's pretty crazy about - in fact,she's said that she'd sell me before she'd sell the bus.

That's just stupid-she'd get a helluva lot more for that Bus than she would for me.....
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is totally cool with me building VWs, hell she even brings home VW related toys for me sometimes. However, she is not a fan of riding in them...says they are too small and are potential deathtraps...she drives behind me in her Maxima....Guess that'll have to work. Doesnt mean she wont ride in it, just means she is freaked out about it....

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wideopen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since our first date was me taking her to the Bug o rama in Sacramento, she is pretty ok with it! At that time I no longer owned an ACVW and only until this year bought another one Embarassed . That was almost 14 years ago. Now the wife has me searching the net for a Squareback (for her)!

Squareback.....wife is begging for....not in the $ right now!lol
super_sailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ex girlfriend loved it. we had some of the best times in the bugs and ghia. she just accepted that i will never own something new. when she met me, i was driving a 62 ranchero in highschool and then the vw addiction started. she would wrench on them time to time like when i broke down in the middle of the pouring rain in my driveway and she stood out there for 2 hours with me. she loved to go cruising with me but never wanted to drive them or the ford. said she liked the ride more then then driving. except the ghia that hated her, everytime she got in it, it would break something, like throwing a window out onto the freeway, cables snapping left and right, fuses always blowing. perfectly fine when she wan't in it though Laughing man i miss that girl Sad
b1pig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife is ok with the bug. we like to have an old car or truck around the house for some reason. when i set out to find one... she told me if i could find one running for less than $900, go for it.

done. Cool
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on 71 bus for three years now and she hasn't even offered to wash the windows. But she really wants to give it to my youngest son. Who's had a nice car now for four years and never washed it or wrenched on it once. Yeah Right. If I die I'm tossing it down to the neighbor kid up the street who helps out all the time.
phunamy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my 67 sedan for several years, the wife rode in it a few times, but hasn't said anything about it. Although I know that she doesn't like riding in it, she keeps her opinion to herself about that, and I appreciate it.

As long as I keep paying for her newer vehicle, I think she won't mind what I drive.
http://mypoolhall.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
DeadheadSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidbus wrote:

No safety glasses???

'69 Standard Type 1 - stock, mint.
Kevinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadheadSF wrote:
Sidbus wrote:

No safety glasses???

That was the same exact thing that came first to my mind

On another note. I have been bringing home stray pieces of machinery since long before I met my wife. She figures there is something wrong with me, and that she just has to live with it. She drove my bug the other day though, and literally giggled while running it through the gears. I think she may have Herbie issues
drvr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering she bought it for me for my Birthday... It's a good bet she's all in! She loves the car! It's not perfect... but she love riding in it... and buys me things for it!! Makes life a WHOLE lot easier this way!
1970 Bus "Velvet Leon Jones"
http://www.georgiadubs.com
Aircooled Airheads
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How does your wife feel about your VW? Reply with quote

Hopefully it's ok to bring this old thread back to life. Very Happy I guess I'm kinda lucky - my girlfriend absolutely loves my Beetle, she even offers to drive it to any car show we are going to so I can drive my Sprite! She's always asking if she can take her friends out in it. (Usually they freak out when they find out it doesn't have seat belts, airbags, or a radio. Hehe! Twisted Evil ) Now if I could only get her interested in turning wrenches on the car with me... Oh well, can't have everything I guess!

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How does your wife feel about your VW? Reply with quote

I will contribute.

My son and I spent 3.5 yrs on a 74 Thing restoration doing majority of the work ourselves. Wife was good/fine with it taking a stall up in garage during that time.

Our ride has been fully operational for the past 6 years. It is a weekend fair weather driver.

My wife joined my 3 sons and I on the maiden voyage 6 years ago. She has not ridden since then. She is still good with it. Just not her bag. Yes, I do envy guys that have girl friends and wives who are all over and attend shows as well.

Oh well, we all have our quirks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: