Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions.......
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcalbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions....... Reply with quote

I am putting together a stale air 40hp engine as correctly and accurately as I can for my 1962 Bus (made in September of 1961). I have been researching through the Bentleys Manual and 1962 T2 owners manual, along with asking friends who are currently running 40hp engines in their VW.

I am posting this request for help because I seem to be a few pieces short. I would appreciate anyone knowledgeable and experienced with this vintage engine to look at the pictures I posted in the photobucket link I created at http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/pcalbar/40hp%20VW%20Engine%20Questions/ and give me your comments and suggestions. The pieces I believe are not correct are: 1) the fan shroud which seems to need a notch in the center of the bottom, 2) the rear tin above the flywheel which needs the larger hole to be on the left side instead of the right, and 3) I am not sure about the crank pulley. I am in the market for these (and any other) missing pieces, so if you can help me with the parts….great.

Any of you who are willing and able to help, please contact Peter at [email protected].

Thanks in advance,
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a 40hp StaleAir for my 1960 Bug last summer.

I have an extra fan shroud and can take a pic showing the difference, is yours a 36hp shroud?

What's with the crank pulley? Looks fine to me.

The back sheetmetal is wrong, sorry I don't have an extra but I can find one at a local shop.

And I believe the right oil fill tube is the one without a downspout as the front sheetmetal doesn't have a hole for the downspout.

I'll snap some pics today.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very strange obsession with these "stale air" engines. I will be building another one from a rebuilt 1200 longblock very soon, the new one will be for a Bus.

Hope these pics help you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think I have the wrong aircleaner as it should have an outlet for the preheat hose, but I like the one I have as it's simpler.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pcalbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
Thank you so much for these great pictures! I am putting my engine into my '62 Bus, so the use is a little different, but your pictures are a big help. Is the fan shroud you have pictured by chance available to purchase? If not, may I use your picture to place an ad on the Samba looking for one?
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original 62 bus motor with bug exhaust

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.

Last edited by crofty on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
I believe the right oil fill tube is the one without a downspout as the front sheetmetal doesn't have a hole for the downspout.

This continues to confuse me. The "downspout" seems to have disappeared for a few years and then reappeared. Here is a pic from a 1961 user's manual that seems to show it in place:

Then here is one from a 62 user's manual that doesn't show it:

Then here it is again in 1965!

So was it there until 1961, disappear for only a couple of years and then reappear with the fresh air engine?

By the way, I have a mostly stock '62 beetle that has a '64 engine, and does not have the downspout nor the hole in the sheet metal for it.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcalbar wrote:
Hi Ian,
Thank you so much for these great pictures! I am putting my engine into my '62 Bus, so the use is a little different, but your pictures are a big help. Is the fan shroud you have pictured by chance available to purchase? If not, may I use your picture to place an ad on the Samba looking for one?
Peter

I sent you a PM; I have two of the same fan shroud that I would sell, they are slighty surface rusty, but mostly black paint.

You can definitely borrow my picture as I have one of yours in my gallery as reference (66-67 stubby door handles).

My motor came with the one without the downspout, and the tin piece behind the crank had no hole for a downspout, so I figured this combination was good.

Maybe it's different between Bus and Beetle??

My engine number is: 6654611 between March and April 1962.
pcalbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Keep the information coming! Reply with quote

Thank you for adding your pictures and information to the question I posted about 40hp engines on The Samba! It seems the more information I get, the more questions I have. Keep your thoughts and information coming. I can only hope my final result will be an accurate engine as it would have left the factory in September of 1961.
pcalbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: I'm trying to reach you Ian Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
I have been trying to reply to the side messages you have left, but that doesn't seem to work. Please call me at (210)559-1214. I leave in two days for a conference and am hoping shipped tin is here at my house when I return.
Peter
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread.
I have a June 61 bus and the original engine for it. I am planning a rebuild of the stock engine and this thread will help as the PO gave me the engine in boxes.
I'll take a look tonight and post pics of what my downspout looks like.
Are the 61 stale air heater boxes one year only?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a mostly stock stale air 40hp that I put together last month.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Cool
pcalbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the pictured engine picture posted by Lind.....what year Bus is it in? The best I've been able to figure out so far is that the '61 Buses had a drain pipe going down through the fan shroud and the '62 did not. Mine is a very early '62 so I guess it is possible that I could go either way?
Any thoughts?
pcalbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah....and does anyone happen to have an original triangular coil/air cleaner bracket they'd be willing to sell? Like the one in Lind's picture. I though I had one and I don't.
Peter
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
here is a mostly stock stale air 40hp that I put together last month.

why the bug distributor? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus 40hp engines use the same big cap distributor. Early Bus 1500s do too as they mate up with the vacuum signal from a 28 PICT carburetor. I have one in my '63 with a 1500cc engine.

His metal vacuum line is abnormal though, it has no curvature to prevent gas from flowing down and slowly disintegrating the vacuum diaphragm.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
His metal vacuum line is abnormal though, it has no curvature to prevent gas from flowing down and slowly disintegrating the vacuum diaphragm.

the vacuum line makes the full loop. it was originally a normal later style, but the diaphragm was still filling with gasoline so I bent it into a new shape and the now the gasoline doesn't make it into the diaphragm. has anyone else had this problem with a 28pict carb?

the bus is May 1961, but absolutely nothing on the engine is original to the bus. the longblock was in the bus, and the rest is just stuff that I put together from a few 40hp engines that I had laying around. I believe that my oil filler should have a breather tube. I think that it should be soft line from the fuel pump to the carb, but I had a neat metal line laying around. I still need to plumb the preheat tube. I was running an original VW belt, but it started to come apart in LA. the spark plug wires are new stock but I will put some old stock ones on it at some point. all the paint on the tin is original. I used a bunch of random NOS parts that I had.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retract my earlier statement as I could not initially view the full loop on my monitor.

Quote:
it was originally a normal later style, but the diaphragm was still filling with gasoline so I bent it into a new shape and the now the gasoline doesn't make it into the diaphragm. has anyone else had this problem with a 28pict carb?

What were the symptoms or how did you tell it was draining into there? I haven't noticed any issues on my '63.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Now I know why the line is supposed to be bent Exclamation
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't laugh at me... please Embarassed
what's a stale air engine?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: