Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sage Green mixing code?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Sage Green mixing code? Reply with quote

Trying to paint my 77 sage green westy and the paint shop is having a time mixing anything really close.

anyone know the paint mix???

did a search but came up with nada.....
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant they just mix it off the paint code? (L63H)
Thats what my body shop did.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, they tried that and its a crappy match..

used the computer matching and its too green and does have the yellow/green cast the OEM does...plus the guy seems like a retard.

costing me $$$ to try to custom mix it but I KNOW some of you have got a good match color to the OEM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the guy seems like a retard, you need a new guy.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takes a guy who has the talent, patience and knowledge for color. and of course retardation is an additional liability that does not help the situation.

too bad i am not there- i seem to be very good at matching. last time i matched paint, i sprayed just part of a door, and when i got done, no one could tell which part of the door was sprayed when i asked a few people to try and find it. it took an entire day of mixing and spraying and drying to get it that close.

better to buy the paint yourself, and ask the body supply shop for a little extra of each color component. then do it yourself, cuz you cannot afford to have them do it for you- IF they are even able to.

Last edited by Blaubus on Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is going to be a huge problem in the future. single stage paints are getting nearly impossible to buy, and all paint is going to be waterborne very soon ('09 in canada) and then single stage will be even harder to get.

what material are you trying to have mixed? what supplier and what paint? is it single stage or base/clear? a formula will only work for that exact material, for instance PPG deltron.
WildWally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this. hit up a local NAPA that uses Martin Senour paint and have them mix you up some paint with the code of 22272. that is the code for the L32H Sage Green paint code. They can supply you with every thing you need .
I work at a NAPA that is how I know.

I was in a car accident once, but it wasn't my fault because I was asleep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
this is going to be a huge problem in the future. single stage paints are getting nearly impossible to buy, and all paint is going to be waterborne very soon ('09 in canada) and then single stage will be even harder to get.

what material are you trying to have mixed? what supplier and what paint? is it single stage or base/clear? a formula will only work for that exact material, for instance PPG deltron.

PPG Concept urethane....single stage.

Wessco paint suppliers as they are all over the SEattle area supplying auto paint.

I can try going to another store but this one is right on the way to my work.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the time, the computer will select the right colors, but in the wrong quantity for each component. find out what components make up the paint.

its not likely to be as simple as a yellow-green. i could be wrong, but what i see in sage green is some brown. brown & green is commonly called "olive green". to get the "olive green" look you must add RED to green, as brown is made of blue, yellow & red, and green is made of just blue and yellow.

in addition to colors, you will find some measure of white and/or black in most VW paints, to pale or muddy it respectively, or both. many times in a situation like this, i would find a very very small amount of red and lot of black. nice thing about black is that it eliminates the identifiability of the slight brown. the green's brown effect becomes nearly subconcious, but still effective. spotting that brown,and knowing it is being muted by black is where component spotting talent is really necessary in determining what quantities of each to add.

Last edited by Blaubus on Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
WildWally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Martin senour color is made up of Medium Yellow, Strong Black, Strong White, Yellow Green.

I was in a car accident once, but it wasn't my fault because I was asleep.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting. always wondered if the slight brown look was aging or dirt or what. i have seen many new sage green paints that looked very pure without a hint of olive.

with only four components it shouldnt be hard.
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
most of the time, the computer will select the right colors, but in the wrong quantity for each component. find out what components make up the paint.

its not likely to be as simple as a yellow-green. i could be wrong, but what i see in sage green is some brown. brown & green is commonly called "olive green". to get the "olive green" look you must add RED to green, as brown is made of blue, yellow & red, and green is made of just blue and yellow.

in addition to colors, you will find some measure of white and/or black in most VW paints, to pale or muddy it respectively, or both. many times in a situation like this, i would find a very very small amount of red and lot of black. nice thing about black is that it eliminates the identifiability of the slight brown. the green's brown effect becomes nearly subconcious, but still effective. spotting that brown,and knowing it is being muted by black is where component spotting talent is really necessary in determining what quantities of each to add.

Man, I never thought green paint could be so involved!. I guess thats why I paint my house with off- the -shelf stuff!

gotta love sage green!! Very Happy
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
PPG Concept urethane....single stage.

bleyseng,

i just called ppg refinish and got a code for L63H in concept. it isn't even a "prophet" code, it is a written one so it should be very accurate. send me an email and i will send you the formula.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: