Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding a matra press, help needed
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Rebuilding a matra press, help needed Reply with quote

so i bought this old matra press off of craigslist a year back or so, and i just got around to rebuilding it. The press is the same sort as you see in your bentley manual. I contacted the matra company to try to obtain documents, and they basically told me good luck.

here is the press

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is the pump mechanism all disassembled. I still can't figure out how this thing is supposed to work. looks like it pumps on the upstroke and downstroke of the foot pedal. those crazy germans with their machines . .

I thought it was cool that the seal between the pump mechanism and the press was obviously made from a vw parts box. a bit of history of the tool there.

here is the main issue, i need one of these.

dimensions are
i.d. - 8mm
smaller o.d. - 15mm
thicker o.d. - 16mm
bore i.d. - 16mm
thickness - 8mm

to me, it looks like something that could be obtained from a brake cylinder rebuild kit, but the question is which one. anybody know where i can get my hands on something like this? it would be a shame to have to scrap the press because one little rubber bit failed.

i am also looking for something like this.

dimensions are
i.d. - 8mm
o.d. - 25mm
thickness - 8mm

this piece functions as more of a damper than a seal, so the o.d. is not quite as important.

i could really use some help getting this thing back together, so please, please help.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry ant help here, but your press is of an amazing early time

Matra still does the press, pretty similar to 60īs manuals, I bought mine from them and holds the original VW tools

coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't they called U-Cup Seals? Did you search McMaster-Carr?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, after some searching around, they are called u cup seals, they come in countless profiles and materials. i have a couple on the way now, hopefully they will work. there are many online suppliers, lots of different price ranges as well.

yea, its an early one, i suppose thats why matra had no records for it. its a pretty cool old tool, i hope i can get it back together.

it came with a few of the associated vw press tools, i could post a pic if anyone is interested.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take that bad boy to the nearest hydraulic repair shop. Find a place that makes hoses and does repairs on heavy equipment and hydraulic pumps. They will have all the spare parts you need on the shelf and can make hoses for your application. Here in San Diego, CA the company I would go to is Rupe's Hydraulics.

The flat gaskets you should be able to make yourself. Buy a cheap punch set from Harbor Freight to cut the round holes. Buy the gasket material from your local FLAPS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try these guys:

http://www.hyseco-hsc.com/hyseco_inc_service_and_repair.html

Lots more servicing your area:

http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.html?what=Hydraul...sec=modify
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the new seal yesterday, but my sister didn't hand me the package until a few minutes ago. here it is installed next to the old one.

thanks everyone for input, will update when i get it back together and see if it works.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its been a while, i have had the press assembled for a few weeks, but vacation delayed the purchase of hydraulic oil until today. the press works very well. a few minor leaks around the pump mechanism, but it keeps pressure. a lot of pressure in fact. so if anyone ever needs to rebuild one of these things, the documentation in this thread should provide just about all the info thats needed. it was definitely that one internal seal.

so now i can try my hand at rebuilding transmissions. should be fun!

thanks for all the help,

neil shaddox
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding a matra press, help needed Reply with quote

Loved seeing the work Neil.

Unfortunately I don't have a MATRA press... but do have a press tool or two (that I can't use yet)... and would like to get more, I think.

The hitch:
Does anyone know of a commercially available press or adapter for a press... that will facilitate use of VW press tools... that look like they fit UP and IN the ram?

Example:

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
well its been a while, i have had the press assembled for a few weeks, but vacation delayed the purchase of hydraulic oil until today. the press works very well. a few minor leaks around the pump mechanism, but it keeps pressure. a lot of pressure in fact. so if anyone ever needs to rebuild one of these things, the documentation in this thread should provide just about all the info thats needed. it was definitely that one internal seal.

so now i can try my hand at rebuilding transmissions. should be fun!

thanks for all the help,

neil shaddox

I know it has been forever since your rebuild but Zatkoff Seals and Packing in Farmington is my go to source for parts. https://www.zatkoff.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TK6A5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding a matra press, help needed Reply with quote

Wanted to bump this thread. I recently purchased a VW400 press and am in the midst of restoring it. It is quite rough as it has been sitting outside for a long time. Would love to hear from other VW400 owners so that we can compare notes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: