Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 Vanagon Electric Conversion = is it worthwhile yet?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orbital
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: 1984 Vanagon Electric Conversion = is it worthwhile yet? Reply with quote

Okay $50 to go 200 miles is getting waaay to expensive. While I realize that converting anything from gas to electric is also very expensive, I plan on driving my vanagon till the day I die.

Has anyone ever checked out the specs on converting a manual 80s vanagon to electric? Are the darn things too heavy to make it worth while? If overall it cost ~$15k-$20k I'd really consider a conversion.

Thanks for the opinions...

~ J
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon Electric Conversion = is it worthwhile yet? Reply with quote

orbital wrote:
Okay $50 to go 200 miles is getting waaay to expensive. While I realize that converting anything from gas to electric is also very expensive, I plan on driving my vanagon till the day I die.

Has anyone ever checked out the specs on converting a manual 80s vanagon to electric? Are the darn things too heavy to make it worth while? If overall it cost ~$15k-$20k I'd really consider a conversion.

Thanks for the opinions...

~ J

Is it worthwhile yet
short answer: no
long answer: TDI conversion, costs the same as what your are considering and you can run veggie oil with the right set up, get your total costs down to $.45 a gallon if you play your cards right Wink thats what i am working on. IMO electric may never happen, batteries costs too much and use too much energy to produce, and when they are bad, you can only recycle so much of them, the rest goes to the earth Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orbital
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks candyman.

I was reading this site: http://e-vanagon.blogspot.com/ and found their trials and tribulations interesting. Unfortunate they can barely get 50 miles out of one charge, and each to fully charge it takes about 6 hours.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 mile range is plenty for me but 20 grand (seems to me that's about what they spent) is too much. for that money I could buy a new electric micro truck. which doesn't sound too bad really
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orbital
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just save the trouble and drop some $$$ for one of these bad boys: http://www.zapworld.com/electric-vehicles/electric-cars/zap-truck-xl

Would've been sick to have an electric vanagon, but last thing I'm trying to do is give myself a headache.

Thanks again.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep that's the one I saw, looks bad ass. wonder what kinda rims would fit on it...lowering...where the subwoofer will fit ? Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little trucks look cool but I've got more range and top speed on my bicycle than that thing has. I'm going to need more than 25 mph top speed and a 30 mile radius to make me want to spend $17,000. It looks really cool though.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its being "sold" or promised by ZAP! I would run the other way. They have a real bad reputation in the EV world. Burning investors and customers alike, selling cars they dont have..etc. You may want to read this article from wired before giving them any money.http://www.wired.com/cars/futuretransport/magazine/16-04/ff_zapped?currentPage=all
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IMO electric may never happen, batteries costs too much and use too much energy to produce, and when they are bad, you can only recycle so much of them, the rest goes to the earth

Lead-acid batteries, which would likely be used by someone converting a vehicle, are one of the most recyclable and recycled things in our industrial economy. About 94% of what's in a car battery gets reused. Rates of recycling have long been very good due to the long-standing practice of charging for the cores. $6 makes a guy come back and get it, and that was in the good old days; it's more now. Same reason bottle deposit laws are so effective. Wish they'd pass one around here. Our roadsides look like linear landfills.

I do think we'll be moving to mostly electric cars eventually, but battery capacity is the big challenge. And built-electric cars won't be using LA's, they'll be packed with Li's or some as yet undiscovered chemistry. But electricity is too ubiquitous and adaptable not to use it as the power medium. Part of the transpo sector will run on liquid fuels as well, the trucking sector without a doubt. But alas, a Vanagon isn't really a good candidate for electric conversion, unless maybe as just a city car.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon Electric Conversion = is it worthwhile yet? Reply with quote

candyman wrote:

Is it worthwhile yet
short answer: no
long answer: TDI conversion, costs the same as what your are considering and you can run veggie oil with the right set up, get your total costs down to $.45 a gallon if you play your cards right Wink thats what i am working on. IMO electric may never happen, batteries costs too much and use too much energy to produce, and when they are bad, you can only recycle so much of them, the rest goes to the earth Crying or Very sad

Don't run veg oil in a TDI. Direct injection engines don't work well with veg oil, bio-d is a better option. Just make sure you have Viton seals in your pump.
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Resident Off-Grid hippie and diesel advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GR-MI-Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon Electric Conversion = is it worthwhile yet? Reply with quote

ok - it has been 9 years, has this changed
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon Electric Conversion = is it worthwhile yet? Reply with quote

GR-MI-Ken wrote:
ok - it has been 9 years, has this changed

Here is a more recent thread about this topic
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=680825&highlight=electric
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Vanagon Electric Conversion = is it worthwhile yet? Reply with quote

Excellent link ^^^, let's use that new thread referenced and allow this one to return to the archives of yesteryear from whence it came...... BTW, OP sold the Van and moved on.........

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: