Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding Door-Interior Panel Question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corn1849
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Sliding Door-Interior Panel Question Reply with quote

The P.O. of my '89 Westy used a bit of "the handyman's secret weapon" (read:duct tape) to keep the sliding door panel from catching the edge of the opening when sliding the door open (the panel clip was missing at the interior right edge, around the mid-point).

I ordered a couple of the "hidden head" door panel clips, but realized after removing the panel.... that the hole in the door was not a match for this clip. The existing panel hole goes clear thru the vinyl finish, not like the holes for the hidden head clips, which only go thru the masonite backing. The hole thru the metal was different too.

I recall that my '84 westy had a handle close to this location (you'd use it to pull the rear latch of the door shut.

MY QUESTION: Does a '89 have a handle, or is it some other type of panel clip? A Photo, please.
Thanks
Way before then: '64 Bus
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you are referring to the screw located just below the catch on the rear end of inner panel. On both my 90's there is a screw with a finish washer that extends clear through panel and into sheet metal. I guess the Germans put a through screw here so as to get a tighter grip. One of mine panels is shredded along that edge from PO not replacing that screw after removing the panel for X reason. Dumb A**! Lots of vinyl repair gloop now!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Corn1849
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.... I just looked in the Bentley Manual (why didn't I do that first Embarassed ) It shows the screw, a washer and a cap.
Way before then: '64 Bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: