Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
magiceddie88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

the 121 M code...Fresh air fan - 'Ambulance fan' where is this located in the Bus?

Is it an electric element or have anything to do with the assesory heater?

Also, whats the deal with General Electric headlamps? aftermarket, special?

Thanks-
MagicEddie88 Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they haven't been pilfered they should be in the fresh air ducts under the dash, closest to the doors, behind the removable covers
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Will the ambulance fan setup fit with my existing ductwork, or does it require that I buy the duct covers for the fans? I can't find them in the fiche.

Thanks!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

they will work fine. iirc, you need to drill a hole for a grommet/wires to pass thru.

they are noisy as hell

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Plenty of pictures of the factory drilled hole here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

I installed mine using the covers that came on the bus. Like it was said above, I had to drill a hole for the wires to come through.

Like said above, they are noisy. BUT, I myself love them. Noise and all. Best accessory I have put on my bus. They work great in the 100 degree summers. I mainly turn them on when the bus is stopped at a red light or when traffic is moving to slowly for the air to come in on its own. Makes driving the bus in the summer very doable. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

I have them factory fitted on my bus, they are as said a brilliant addition to the Type 2 (and noisy like a 1970's hairdryer). Their main purpose is as a front windscreen demister, utilising the cold fresh air front intake, and they clear mist from the windscreen rapidly.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

I installed a set of fresh air fans in my 79 bus. However, as I didn't need the demist function, I modified the air distribution system and added 2 new outlets under the dash. Quite a difference.

2 Mk1 Rabbit dash vents in custom made metal boxes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
I installed a set of fresh air fans in my 79 bus. However, as I didn't need the demist function, I modified the air distribution system and added 2 new outlets under the dash. Quite a difference.

2 Mk1 Rabbit dash vents in custom made metal boxes.

I didn't add the vents, but what I do in the summer is block the demist vents on the top of the dash with small towels. That way all the air comes out of the adjustable vents on the front of the dash. I get full air flow toward me instead of the windshield. I do take the towels out once winter arrives though. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

I have a 3 speed in line booster fan under the floor. Plenty of air flow for defogging etc. I never have a fogged windshield or side windows and my van sits outside all year round. I rains a lot here. Thurs/Fri last week we had 4 inches of rain.
mnskmobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

For those who haven't experienced the sound of the fresh air fans (courtesy Ratwell):

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineSounds/FreshAirFans.mp3
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

I installed a set on my '74 Restfalia which was an import from the US so never came with the fans from the factory. In my honest opinion, it is one of the most over-rated accessories out there. As others have said, they are very noisy, so much so that you don't really want to turn them on high. Opening a vent window all the way allows much bigger airflow while moving then those fans ever could. Fans draw a lot of current too in operation. Save your bus accessory $$$ for something else...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
In my honest opinion, it is one of the most over-rated accessories out there..

agreed.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Volktales wrote:
In my honest opinion, it is one of the most over-rated accessories out there..

agreed.

I disagree. As said mine are factory rather than retrofitted. Maybe our climate in Europe is a factor, but they have proved useful on several occasions. I have found in certain weather conditions hot air heading from the back causes steaming up, as does sudden changes in temperature outside and torrential rain. I was caught in transit, in an extreme thunder storm with flooding in Belgium earlier this year, very low visibility. A demister cloth smears and is only so good. The demister fans were a lifesaver on the motorway. You also have cold air flow when stationary, so can demist before driving off again. They are demister fans, 'Ambulance' fans is misnomer which started with the split screen, as standard on the ambulance. I agree they don't contribute much to cooling the cab, but that is not what they are for.
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:
In my honest opinion, it is one of the most over-rated accessories out there.

I think not everybody need them - the vent windows are fine for a lot of situations...

But after a cold camping night with misted windshield or driving only slow at city traffic jam at rainy or snowy days it helps a lot for a free sight... then only the vent windows take to long for it. You could switch them on before/without engine running. Yes they are loud at full level, but powerful.

German L(uxury) Bus models have it as standard equipment.

regards, from rainy Berlin,

(light and fan switch)

1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts, folks.

I drove a tip-top-shaped 1970 bus this summer with them, and I turned them on low at a stoplight and INSTANTLY wanted a set. The noise was not bad at all, though I could see how some of the crusty ones in the classifies could sound that way. It was 90-95* that day, and the low setting was enough to keep me from getting angry at the traffic gods for at least a few extra minutes.

Thanks,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Hello Robbie,
asiab3 wrote:
It was 90-95* that day...

in some classified ads it is described as an "air condition" - that is nonsense - it is only an useful (fresh) air blower.
I drove also to deserts like the Sahara in Africa - but did not use this there.

If you need an air condition, you need much more than these small fans.

But my NOS air conditioning I have not yet been installed, because of the weight (and fuel consumption and losing horse power and ground clearance...). I will install it one fine day, if my bay window will only be used as show car and not anymore for long distance travels (last trip 8000 miles to Persia).

1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

Oh I'm not looking for an air conditioner, just something to get some air circulating when it's hot next summer. You can't just crack a window or open a vent when you're stuck in traffic going 0mph… Laughing

Not my picture, but a typical once-a-week commute for me:

pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

We had a very hot summer here. With the four dash vents and the fan on low, the interior temps were quite passable. Next year I hope to add some additional rear opening windows to increase air flow. Don't like driving with the jalousies open.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Q and A..."Ambulance fan" and lights... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
they will work fine. iirc, you need to drill a hole for a grommet/wires to pass thru.

they are noisy as hell

My ambulance fans in the BobD are noisy as hell, but strangely, the ambulance fans in Chloe are quite civilized at both speeds.

Balance is critical.
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: