Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet Another Oil Leak Post
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimtheGymnast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Oil Leak Post Reply with quote

Hi everyone! New member here.

I’ve read through all of the oil leak posts/threads in the forums and I definitely got lots of ideas for different possible reasons/locations for oil leaks, but I thought I would post some photos of mine to see if anyone might know specifically where the leak(s) are originating.

I just got my bus back from a mechanic who was specifically going to fix the oil leaks. While an oil burning issue seems to have been resolved, the leak problem seems worse than before I took it to him.

I put some dye in the oil and after only five minutes of idling the engine in my driveway, I spotted the dye as seen in the attached photos. Three of the photos are on the side closest to the right rear wheel, and the fourth is on the side closest to the left rear wheel.

If any knowledgeable people here can identify what specifically needs to be fixed (i.e., where the leaks are most likely originating from) based on these photos, I would greatly appreciate it. And, as others have asked… would these be fixable without removing the engine?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give!

Tim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Oil Leak Post Reply with quote

Difficult to tell. You really need to scrub that dye off and try again but don’t run it so long. All that air blowing around is spreading the UV dye everywhere.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Oil Leak Post Reply with quote

I'll bite. Pushrod tubes. They look real nice. If I were a gambler. I'd check the seams, if any, and smear those seams with RTV silicone.
You can always wipe the hidden top sides clean, run it for three minutes or so & check again. And yes those pop in & out without too much drama. The wire retainers have to be removed under the valve covers. Also now that I'm typing it make sure they are there /even present! (wire retainers) lol. Good Luck.
TimtheGymnast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Oil Leak Post Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
I'll bite. Pushrod tubes. They look real nice. If I were a gambler. I'd check the seams, if any, and smear those seams with RTV silicone.
You can always wipe the hidden top sides clean, run it for three minutes or so & check again. And yes those pop in & out without too much drama. The wire retainers have to be removed under the valve covers. Also now that I'm typing it make sure they are there /even present! (wire retainers) lol. Good Luck.

I think we have a winner. Definitely looks like a couple of pushrod tubes are leaking, as well as just about every fastener in the rocker assembly. See additional photos taken today.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Oil Leak Post Reply with quote

I would take a good peek at the oil pressure switch and wouldn't be surprised to find that the crankshaft fan hub seal behind the fan was leaking. Other potential seals are the pushrod tube o-rings and the cylinder base gaskets. You should make sure the crankcase ventilation system is complete and not clogged as if it isn't working correctly the excess crankcase pressure will force oil out of any and all available orifices.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: