Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn Button
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Horn Button Reply with quote

I tried to connect my horn button yesterday only to find out that it doesn't work. The button itself fell out and only the button and the trim ring was there besides the spring. My spring did not make a 90* turn like I thought it should. All the spring does is coil. So what I am looking for is what the inside of the horn button looks like. Does anyone have any pics of what it should look like? Basically there is nothing going to the middle to touch the metal where the wire connects to. I have searched the gallery and could not find anything.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a copper plate that contacts the brass rivit in the center of the button.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. Now I have to find something that I can use in it's place or just go through my stash of parts.

Thanks

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Split Bus Horn Button Reply with quote

Here are some pictures. There are some more in my gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. I didn't see anything like these in the gallery. Now I know exactly what I am missing and will go see if I have it in my stash of parts.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

der58SC wrote:
Thanks man. I didn't see anything like these in the gallery. Now I know exactly what I am missing and will go see if I have it in my stash of parts.

No prob. I just snuck them in the gallery last night.
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Horn Button Reply with quote

I was thinking of repainting my horn button. To do a good job and avoid harming the chrome ring, I‘d like to dissamble the parts before painting. I didn‘t find instructions how to do it. Do I need to drill out and replace a rivet or is it just bending the spring out or even another route? Thanks!
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Horn Button Reply with quote

swiss_bulli wrote:
I was thinking of repainting my horn button. To do a good job and avoid harming the chrome ring, I‘d like to dissamble the parts before painting. I didn‘t find instructions how to do it. Do I need to drill out and replace a rivet or is it just bending the spring out or even another route? Thanks!
The chrome ring has three tabs that you need to bend a little. Bend them as little as possible to push the whole thing apart so that they don't break when you bend them back after you put it all back together.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Button Reply with quote

The original horn button center is VW's version of bakelite and it can be polished btw.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Button Reply with quote

Thanks Lind and hitest for your tipps. I even found a short info in the Bentley manual, which I forgot about.

Disassembly worked well, but my bakelit center part was not polishable to a good degree. There were a lot of brownish particles in the plastic that stayed, so I decided to give it a light coat of paint.

Assembled back together with the polished center and chrome ring as well as the outer ring in new shiny silver white.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Horn Button Reply with quote

swiss_bulli wrote:
the outer ring in new shiny silver white.

Beautiful work Swiss Bulli !

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Horn Button Reply with quote

bakelite polishes up nice with Mothers Polish.

Horn button looks great!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: