Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Am I an idiot?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Am I an idiot? Reply with quote

At the Connecticut Volkswagen Association Show two weekends ago I turned down 10 grand for my car!!!

Am I stupid? I figured I can't replace the car for the money and said no! My wife thinks I am an idiot and thought this would be a good place to guage my sanity.

Thanks.......

Rich

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wrote down his phone number, no
bulldawgboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: 10k Reply with quote

Ask yourself... wold YOU buy the car for 10 grand ??? If the answer is no then you should have sold it.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes is a short term cash fix...no is the sensible long term answer.

...so it depends why you have your Ghia...love or money?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which car? The black one?

I get unsolicited 'offers' every now and then, usually they're low-ballers. I suspect it's flippers in disguise.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a guy follow me about 5 miles and finally into a Lowe's parking lot. He said "What's it going to take to buy that from you?" I said "12 grand". He says "A little high don't ya think?" I said "You followed me. I didn't chase you down asking if you wanted to buy it." Laughing Laughing
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom,

Yes I am talking about my black 58.

Story goes like this..................

I was at the show talking to some friends near my car and a guy I have met once before says "How much?" and I jokingly say "10 grand" and he says"OK". I then backtrack explaining that I am kidding and do not want to sell. He tells me that he isnt kidding and really wants the car. After much persistance on his part I then offered one of my 56 Ghia projects at a much higher price than I thought he would pay. He agreed sight unseen so my Pelican Red 56 is sold pending payment.

I talked to the guy today and he is going to give me a deposit this weekend.I wasnt going to sell it but it gets my Antelope Brown 56 in the body shop for a while.

Rich
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back, a guy was hounding me wanting to buy my '56, but he wanted me to throw out a number; I told him that since he was tendering the unsolicited offer, it was up to him to make an offer I couldn't refuse. He finally made an offer, which I was easily able to refuse; he lowballed me, and I suspect if I'd sold it, it would have showed up again via one of the flippers

I recently went through the same exact song and dance with a guy wanting to buy my 61 DC. I told him I was amenable to selling, but he would have to make an offer I couldn't refuse, etc, etc. He pestered me for several weeks, and finally I took a bunch of pix and sent them to him, but he still can't come up with an offer. I think he's hoping I'll come up with some outlandish number like "$1500" Rolling Eyes
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would rather have one project car and $10,000 to work on it than two project cars and $0.00 extra money to work on them.

Individuals with a personal fleet of eternal project cars bemuse me. I'd prefer to have one perfect, functional, finished car than three fixer-uppers.

And yeah, in my experience, "walk-up offers" never are in the best interest of the car owner. They're kind of flattering, at first, but ultimately wind up being insulting or create an uncomfortable atmosphere between the proposing buyer and the owner. It's just a bad chemistry experiment.
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I never intended to have a fleet of project cars if that is some sort of a jab or insult!!

My black 58 is a finished driver!!!....Thats right finished!!!!!! Love it the way it is!!!! Maybe some minor tweaks but never a full resto!!!

I am not patient enough to endure a full restoration without having a car to drive .I was planning to restore the red 56 and have the 58 to drive to keep me sane while doing it. I bought my Antelope 56 to supply hard to find parts and then discovered that it was a very early car. At that point I felt that I couldn't and shouldn't cut up that car. I have been collecting parts for over a year and selling off extras to gather restoration money. I have been on the fence as to which car to restore and now that decision has been made for me.

$3500 to put into the Antelope and a car to drive works for me.

Rich
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

No intent to take a shot at you. I, at various times, have had up to five project cars going - I felt like I was climbing the Mt. Everest of hopelessness. I'm a very "linear" thinker and definitely prefer to focus on one project at a time, until it is finished to my satisfaction, before I tackle another. And I've admittedly dealt with cars that were either stock restorations or preservations of very original "survivor" cars, not "primer it and roll it" commissions, which is cool for some but not for OCD me.
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 63 Chevy pickup (1st car) that people would offer to buy all the time, I figured that if random people were interested in it that it wouldn't be hard to find a buyer willing to pay more. I never did get to sell it though, it was eventually stolen and torched. If someone agreed to ten grand you're likely to find another buyer on ebay who would pay more but ebay is definately a lot more complicated and involves a lot more work than a walk-up offer. Don't beat yourself up, as long as your 58 isn't a rust bucket the value is only likely to increase over the years
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is not a rust bucket. Just a victim of poor body work covered up with a little mud. I dont want this car to be too nice for me to drive. The car is driven between 2500 to 4000 miles on the car per year and dont want that to change much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rich
dog_jr911
Swamp Donkey Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a guy wave me down the other day.

me, 19, in my freshly painted hot-rod ghia.

him, 40+, brand new BMW.

"hey buddy, wanna trade cars with me? this car has more HP!"

i say "wanna race? theres more to things than HP"

he laughs and said "ill give you the keys right now!"

i replied, "sorry, ill take my sexy car, that, BTW, could hand your car a new one"

he laughed, and drove away.

wuss wouldnt race.
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

No sweat Laughing

I know just what you mean as far as projects go. My barn can fit 6 cars in it and still have room for parts. Got four in there now.

I would love to find a survivor Low Light Ghia but they dont pop up here much in Ct. I missed out on the one that did and Drew Colome bought it.

I am a total purist if the car is all there. My Antelope 56 has most of the OG stuff so the goal is to make as stock as possible. If not complete the gloves are off and I will make it mine!!!!!

Story of my life!!! I just cant get them out of my system!!!

I admit it............" I AM A LOWLIGHTAHOLIC"

Rich
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a single Ghia that didn't have at least a little bad bodywork on it. Some are Bondo magnets. Just keep your Ghia in good condition and if you change your mind about selling it, it'll be worth even more by then. People here are actually interested in lowlights found in the woods. Most of those are verts but when they run out of lowlight verts to restore (which won't take long) there'll be more of an emphasis on the coupes for sure. You're lucky; the only walk-up offer I got on a Ghia was on an early vert. They offered me $1000 Rolling Eyes I told them I could sell the bumpers alone for that much and that they must be retarded. Actually that's only the second time someone offered to buy the early vert, the first time someone who knew the car from the place I had bought it from and how much that place wanted for it followed me to a gas station some 25 miles from the place after I got it back on the road again weeks later; they offered me the exact same amount I had originally paid for it. I asked them why on earth would anyone do all that body work on it just to sell it weeks later for the same price Question

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
DaveTrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58lolight wrote:
My black 58 is a finished driver!!!

That is, if you ever get around to painting it! Laughing

VW Logo = Very Happy
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up Dave?

Guess the car could use a fresh coat of Rustoleum!!!!! Laughing

Going to Terryville? Hope to see you there...........

Rich
DaveTrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58lolight wrote:
Going to Terryville? Hope to see you there...........

We're planning too. Hopefully I'll have the Bug's engine done and we can bring both cars.

See: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=309348

VW Logo = Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: