Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Water Idea
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfe,

I know I've seen at least one pic of a vanagon with an enclosed shower in it, but it was a high top. The shower was placed directly behind the driver's seat, and would thus probably work with the pop top.

I'm thinking that you could do it and leave the top of the shower open, or create a little mesh hat to put on when the top is up.

It would require moving the sink/stove setup, but there are enough options theres to make that doable.

The plus of having the shower in that location is you can drain through the grey-water hole to a tank installed underneath the westy. Move the stove and sink across the aisle to behind the passenger seat, ala Bay Window style, with your LP tank under the sliding door.

BTW, putting the LP tank under the driver's side sucks; doesn't bother me here in SoCal, but if I was in Oregon, and had to get out into the rain to turn on the gas, I'd be somewhat unhappy. Thus being able to turn on the LP from inside would be a nice move for some.

As for the shower itself, a plastic shower basin with a framework of PVC pipe holding plastic shower curtain liners would work, and be relatively low weight. If you want it fold-up/take-apart, that could be done fairly easily that way as well.

Best,

Lanval
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfej1 wrote:
rsxsr wrote:
We have an inflatable shower that is made by the same company that makes our solar shower. My wife bought it, but it looks something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-B202SSH-00-000-SunShower-Enclosure/dp/B000NV8ACQ/ref=pd_sim_dbs_sg_1

Good idea - however I am still faced with the dilemma of how to hang it inside without drilling into the poptop.

Couldn't you hook it to the skylight opening, and adjust the length of the four ropes accordingly?

I think this is a very cool idea.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanval wrote:
Wolfe,

As for the shower itself, a plastic shower basin with a framework of PVC pipe holding plastic shower curtain liners would work, and be relatively low weight. If you want it fold-up/take-apart, that could be done fairly easily that way as well.

Best,

Lanval

I think the PVC pipe idea has some real merit Very Happy I was not thinking in that way but it makes very good sense. Additionally - I am using the floor from an old one person shower stall - it is plastic and it fits perfectly in the van. I suppose I could fab up some junctions in that to install the pvc pipes and that would be it. No need to hang anything and it would be easier.

I never would have thought of that - as I was stuck on the hanging idea Confused
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a peice of conduit and a couple of these? http://www.anver.com/document/vacuum%20components/vacuum%20cups/cups-flat.htm You could stick them to the fiberglass luggage rack when needed. I understand not wanting to drill anyholes. I have been toying with the idea of a flat cover for my luggage rack to see if I get an improvement in road noise and mpg. If it works, I would consider installing dzus tabs to hold it in place. They require drilling holes in the fiberglass to work. Sad
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfej1 wrote:
Lanval wrote:
Wolfe,

Best,

Lanval

I think the PVC pipe idea has some real merit Very Happy I was not thinking in that way but it makes very good sense. Additionally - I am using the floor from an old one person shower stall - it is plastic and it fits perfectly in the van. I suppose I could fab up some junctions in that to install the pvc pipes and that would be it. No need to hang anything and it would be easier.

No need to install mounts in the floor - I drilled 4 holes in the floor unit that i just set the PVC pipes into. I cut the pipes into 3' sections and tie together with junction fittings, this way it is easier to store. Then I bought a dark shower curtin that I hook around the top rails. Stable and easily assemble/disassembled.

Since I have not finished the tank unit part yet and I have a trip planned this weekend I am going to use the 2 gallon sprayer method for the water supply. Just set the sprayer unit on the stove counter and hang the hose over the top of the shower rail. Tested it out and it is pretty good. Got a full shower in without having to pump the sprayer again and there was still half a tank left. Nothing got wet inside the van When everyone has had their shower I will just disassemble the unit, and put everything underneath the van til the next shower is needed. Setup time is about 5 minutes. Also, the shower curtain is used as the table cloth, just put it on the table and wipe it off.

Then for kicks I filled the sprayer, pumped it up good, and emptied the tank without having to pump again. Granted the pressure was not that great at the end, but it was still usable. For the sprayer I used one of those expensive units that are made of metal and are for applying deck stain and other chemicals.

Of course if we are in an isolated are there is no need for this setup

I will post some pics when I have a chance.

Regards,
Wolfe
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I love it when a plan comes together..."

Best,

Lanval
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfej1 wrote:
wolfej1 wrote:
Lanval wrote:
Wolfe,

Best,

Lanval

No need to install mounts in the floor - I drilled 4 holes in the floor unit that i just set the PVC pipes into. I cut the pipes into 3' sections and tie together with junction fittings, this way it is easier to store. Then I bought a dark shower curtin that I hook around the top rails. Stable and easily assemble/disassembled.

UPDATE:

I reduced the weight and hassle with regards to the enclosure:

I built a 2.5'x2.5' frame from pvc pipe which i rest on the half opened upper bed and the roof area directly behind the latch for the pop top. Put the curtin rings on this and just let them hang down into a plastic mortar container that i bought from lowes (recommended from another user). This is better because it is easier to empty the water and the components store easier as there is no big floor unit and less pvc pipes. Also much lighter and easier to setup and dismantle. The only downside is that the enclosure is not as high as the old one and there is a bit less elbow room inside. However the benefits outweigh the negatives IMHO.
tsombrero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I did this too! Works great. I used a "Dirty Dog" collapsable tub to stand in-- it smooshes down flat when you're not using it. I don't remember where I bought it but they seem to be available online:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 Westy, Syncro-nated
2003 Aprilia Caponord (now with Jif)
Atari 2600
1970 Earthbound Humanoid
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Tankless-Water-Heater-Shower/dp/B000TXOJQ4/ref=pd_sim_sg_8

propane, on demand, light, works at night/cold/shade

The weight of the water would concern me on that luggage rack plus there is the whole weight on top of a tall vehicle thing
Typhon2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsombrero1 wrote:
Hey, I did this too! Works great. I used a "Dirty Dog" collapsable tub to stand in-- it smooshes down flat when you're not using it. I don't remember where I bought it but they seem to be available online:

Hey, that "Dirty Dog" collapsible tub is a great idea for showering in! I was thinking I'd have to use a mortar tray or something like that, but this seems lots easier, and the dimensions are perfect for inside the van.

Question for ya: if you've just taken a shower and you've got 2 gallons of runoff water sitting in this thing, can you easily move it outside the car to empty it? I read it has carrying handles, but am wondering how strong they are.

Thanks lots. Very Happy
taigagreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot water in westy :

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59035&start=255
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Idea Reply with quote

If you have concerns about bacteria in your water supply there is a baby bottle disinfectant .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Idea Reply with quote

I recently got a Boss Water Heater. I'm super-pleased with the design, quality and output of the product. After providing a bucket of water, all it takes is the push of a button to get near-instant hot water. Cleaning up after a day on the trail has never been so easy or comfortable. Plus, getting adequate solar to heat water in the PNW is not a reasonable expectation 300 days a year.

Highly recommended...

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-BOSS-XCW20-Basecamp-Operated/dp/B011TRLWIG

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Old_Ben_Gun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Idea Reply with quote

Im surprised that 2014 saw the last post on this topic. Im a Vanagon fan and after living aboard sailboats for six years It's amazing no one is or has adapted their technology to the Van. Camping world offers a portable, small light weight propaned fired instant on water heater. At present Im imagineering the instalation into the back side of the aft cupboard. With the aft hatch lifted the heater can be fired up. A propane suply can come from either a portable bottle or plumbed from the old fridge/stove bottle. Water wan come from either the 7 gallon enclosed tank of from a 5 gallon external jug via a boat system demand style water pump. Im just getting the corage together to cut into the closet and free up same space. A permanent mount instant on system can be done for under $500. Shower compartment is a portable Tent like structure from Bass Pro Shop. Oh and a suction cup towel rack on the aft window. If anyone wants pictures please message me on FaceBook Douglas Young Tacoma Wa or E mail at [email protected]
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Idea Reply with quote

Old_Ben_Gun wrote:
Im surprised that 2014 saw the last post on this topic. Im a Vanagon fan and after living aboard sailboats for six years It's amazing no one is or has adapted their technology to the Van. Camping world offers a portable, small light weight propaned fired instant on water heater. At present Im imagineering the instalation into the back side of the aft cupboard. With the aft hatch lifted the heater can be fired up. A propane suply can come from either a portable bottle or plumbed from the old fridge/stove bottle. Water wan come from either the 7 gallon enclosed tank of from a 5 gallon external jug via a boat system demand style water pump. Im just getting the corage together to cut into the closet and free up same space. A permanent mount instant on system can be done for under $500. Shower compartment is a portable Tent like structure from Bass Pro Shop. Oh and a suction cup towel rack on the aft window. If anyone wants pictures please message me on FaceBook Douglas Young Tacoma Wa or E mail at [email protected]

There are several threads on what you describe. As for me, I prefer (love!) the Boss XCW-20. It's simple and mobile. I often don't want my shower near the van and I don't want to lose the interior storage space (I carry the heater in a roof top box).

Page 2...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=422965&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

A better thread...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8038516

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Idea Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
If you have concerns about bacteria in your water supply there is a baby bottle disinfectant .

Get some clean new pennies and throw them in your water tank. They could even be dirty pennies, but ones you cleaned seems much better idea.
The water pipes in a house are copper. Cooper pipes will kill 99% of the bacteria in the water in roughly 2 hours of the water sitting in the pipe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicrobial_properties_of_copper
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Idea Reply with quote

Last edited by Steve M. on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Idea Reply with quote

Seems like you could wrap some soft copper tubing around your coolant pipes, plumb to a pump and reservoir, and have plenty hot water, at least as long as you're driving.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Idea Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
Seems like you could wrap some soft copper tubing around your coolant pipes, plumb to a pump and reservoir, and have plenty hot water, at least as long as you're driving.

Along these lines you could get a small marine heat exchanger and run your coolant through one side and pump the house water through the other side. You would definitely have water the same temp as the engine coolant so you would have to regulate the flow for temperature control otherwise your going to get some burns.
For the sake of easy installation you could put the heat exchanger under the bench seat where the rear heater is since you have the holes in the body for the heater. Next you'd need a another water tank for cold water!
"Sen-dure" is one company in Fort Lauderdale that has been making small heat exchangers for years.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Water Idea Reply with quote

[url] http://dusche.maleisen.de/[/url]

Shower trailer!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: