Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice - Converting FI to carburetion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Advice - Converting FI to carburetion Reply with quote

I have a low mileage (18,000) 1978 FI engine in my vert that I want to gather parts to convert to carburetor.

I also want to keep the NON-California FI muffler-it is new, quiet and exits under the apron the way it should.

I seek your advice re: what is needed and possible - Items I think are needed and my questions: -34 Pict-3 carb
-Intake manifold from a 71-74 dual port with end castings
-Air cleaner from a 73 or 74
-Oil filler neck
-Fuel pump

My key questions:
-Can i go with 1600 non-FI heads but keep the FI heater boxes and muffler so it fits and sounds the way I like it but has a little more power?
-Can i also go with 1600 non-FI pistons and cylinders so it has a little more power?
-Are there other parts I will need - and other info that I did not think to ask about.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give.

Matthew Ross
Matt's Parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LordGarth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1600 FI engine from a '75 that I was planning to rebuild. What I was told and since this is second hand info take it for what it is worth, but the only difference between the FI engine and the carb engine is the hole for the fuel pump, if you convert you have to use an electric fuel pump. To me, this infers that everything else would be interchangeable. Just my opinion (and hope since I plan to do it as well).
ratspud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is a convert. Everything will stay the same. Just take off the fuel injection, add the intake and carb, and get an electric fuel pump. Just make sure you put the fuel pump in the front of the car. You will probably need to get a regulator as well. They only need about 2.5lbs of fuel pressure. I just went to dual carbs, do you need an intake and a carb and breather? I've got the whole thing., just needs a quick cleaning, but everything is functional and was running 2 months ago. all you will need is the gaskets to put the intake onto the heads.
lv ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the cams? someone told me the cams are differant. I dont know just a question I have.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not keep it FI?
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a '75, converted to carb, I put in this electric fuel pump, and I recommend it, it is low pressure which is very important.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Mfr...Code=3339K
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - Converting FI to carburetion Reply with quote

Matt's Bug Parts wrote:

-Can i also go with 1600 non-FI pistons and cylinders so it has a little more power?

Pistons and cylinders on FI engines are the same as from a carb'd engine.

Another vote for keeping the FI. A low mileage car like that has significant collector value. Converting it to a carb means you are excluding buyers from virtually all major cities that have smog testing. It's value will suffer dramatically.
Plus, it won't run as good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should stay FI. It won't pass emissions in many states with out the FI.
The conversion decreases the collectibility value and is illegal under federal law.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the reason you want to convert it?
mustangbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - Converting FI to carburetion Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Matt's Bug Parts wrote:

Another vote for keeping the FI. A low mileage car like that has significant collector value. Converting it to a carb means you are excluding buyers from virtually all major cities that have smog testing. It's value will suffer dramatically.

I'm fairly new to VWs, but I've always heard that the FI bugs don't run as good.

I guess like with everything, the reality is probably somewhere in the middle. Maybe they are just more finicky, but once they are set up and tuned right FI runs better?

I dont know. Interesting topic though.
mustangbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrib wrote:
It should stay FI. It won't pass emissions in many states with out the FI.
The conversion decreases the collectibility value and is illegal under federal law.

Are there states that actually smog test cars that old? In Texas, any car over 24 years old is exempt.
Crippler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice - Converting FI to carburetion Reply with quote

mustangbug wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Matt's Bug Parts wrote:

I'm fairly new to VWs, but I've always heard that the FI bugs don't run as good.

I guess like with everything, the reality is probably somewhere in the middle. Maybe they are just more finicky, but once they are set up and tuned right FI runs better?

i agree with you. most people just hate on the FI due to the lack of experience with it. Carbed VWs are more common, thus more info is available, more parts available, cheaper parts etc.

but people with knowledge of FI and the ones that own a sweet tuned FI car just SWEAR by the fuel injection system.

not sure about the type 1 FI stuff, but my old type 3 was FI...it was one thing after another with it. fuel pump, injectors, ECU, etc. ended up getting dual carbs on it. From what i was told, the VW FI stuff was the exact same stuff that was used in Mercedes Benz of the 70s era...

i wouldnt mind getting schooled on FI and having a late model bug with FI... better gas mileage and more power. who wouldnt...
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Advice - Converting FI to carburetion Reply with quote

mustangbug wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Matt's Bug Parts wrote:

The problem is that you've heard this from people who don't understand how to work on it. The FI in a Type 3 is super reliable and easy to troubleshoot. If FI weren't so reliable then why did VW use it until the end of production? Do yourself a favor and get ready to dig in and learn. You will be glad you did.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Advice - Converting FI to carburetion Reply with quote

mustangbug wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Matt's Bug Parts wrote:

All of my running VW's are FI. And they run better than any carbed one that I have had.
The people that say they don't run good, do not understand FI.
If properly adjusted, they run better that carbed engines.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FI engine is so easy to troubleshoot with a Bentley. All you need is an OHM meter and a fuel pressure gauge.

You have to remember that the youngest FI engine is 29 years old. Even my engine with only 27K niles on it from new needed a cleanup and rebuild of the injectors, replacement of the fuel hoses and other small maintenance.

It runs like a champ and the only probmlem I ever had was bad gas milage which was due to a return fuel line that was kincked under the gas tank when I replaced it.

My car starts up every time and runs really well. I really enjoy the FI engine.
spencerr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 71 super beetle in which the previous owner took out the mechanical fuel pump and capped the area where it is installed. Then he put in an electric fuel pump in line just outside the gas tank. Now, it ran pretty good. However, one day my son was driving it and the engine caught fire. That brass nozzle that goes into the carb had somehow come loose and popped out. When the engine died, that electric fuel pump was still pumping gas on the engine because the key was still on. He didn't know it was still pumping gas on the engine even though the engine was running. Luckily the car behind him had a fire extinguisher and quickly put out the fire. If I had the mechanical fuel pump on there, I wouldn't have had nearly the problem. The electric fuel pump may be nice, but I don't think it's the safest way to go. Needless to say after that day, I make sure everything is connected well...no electric full pump!
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencerr wrote:
I had a 71 super beetle in which the previous owner took out the mechanical fuel pump and capped the area where it is installed. Then he put in an electric fuel pump in line just outside the gas tank. Now, it ran pretty good. However, one day my son was driving it and the engine caught fire. That brass nozzle that goes into the carb had somehow come loose and popped out. When the engine died, that electric fuel pump was still pumping gas on the engine because the key was still on. He didn't know it was still pumping gas on the engine even though the engine was running. Luckily the car behind him had a fire extinguisher and quickly put out the fire. If I had the mechanical fuel pump on there, I wouldn't have had nearly the problem. The electric fuel pump may be nice, but I don't think it's the safest way to go. Needless to say after that day, I make sure everything is connected well...no electric full pump!

FYI, the fuel injection engine cases did not have a spot for a mechanical fuel pump like the carbed-engine cases did. They had a stock electrical fuel pump. However, that is a valid concern. You could read the "Beetles and Fires??" sticky about securing the fuel inlet nipple on the carburetor to keep that from happening,,, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131225
I hate people. Are you people? I hate you.

Just trying to remember classic Samba quotes from the 'Days of Yore'
George Evans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of the other posts, If the car is nice & low mileage i would not remove the injection.
Matt Anderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it either! My Dad has a 75 La Grande, we have had some problems, but between the Bentley manual and the Idiot's guide we have troubleshot everything that has gone wrong and it works great. 36 MPG. A very good misunderstood system.

BUT, if you are absolutely hellbent on putting in a carb, lat me know. I'll buy all the fuel injection parts from you. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lv ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a thought,

why not save your money,for a custom built motor or build one youself how you want it set up. pull the f.i. motor and keep that around. you might decide you like the f.i. better. if you decide to sell the car you would be able to have it as a original low millage or a high out-put motor.

just mtcw

p.s. thats what I plan on doing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: