Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust prevention tip
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEPHENLAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Rust prevention tip Reply with quote

When I bought my 85 westy about 8 years ago I realized the gaskets for water and AC were not doing a good job. At that time I bought some rope caulk and used that instead. It would make little lines on the paint when it rained however.

Well 8 years later I have the fridge out and I have very little rust at all. And the van sat outside for several years (neglect) I will put new rope caulk on before I install the fridge.

I am going to do the POR stuff and coat the seams with a wax product but I think the rope caulk worked great.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rust prevention tip Reply with quote

STEPHENLAY wrote:
When I bought my 85 westy about 8 years ago I realized the gaskets for water and AC were not doing a good job. At that time I bought some rope caulk and used that instead. It would make little lines on the paint when it rained however.

Well 8 years later I have the fridge out and I have very little rust at all. And the van sat outside for several years (neglect) I will put new rope caulk on before I install the fridge.

I am going to do the POR stuff and coat the seams with a wax product but I think the rope caulk worked great.

Sure. Now ya tell me! Wink (kidding)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rope caulk? Is this the kind of stuff you used:

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/8077372

did you use it in place of the stock gasket, or ?

I just siliconed around the hookup flanges. (the paint/body is kind of sh**e so not concerned about asthetics) In hindsight, I should have caulked inbetween the gaskets and body.

Cheers,

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
STEPHENLAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep that's the stuff. I used it without any gaskets. It is like playdough sort of so you just cram it around and them trim excess. It really works perfect. I did not use any silicone at all either.

I have a brown van and they make it in brown too. Really a very cheap but good solution.

The only issue I had is that it streaked when it rain a bit for a while. Cheap price to pay.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stephenlay.

I'll look into that. Somehow that material makes more sense than the foam (at least that's what it looks like) that's in the grooves of the city water hookup.

The foam would just harbour water as far as I can see.

Mind you maybe a thick layer of 100% silicone in place of the foam would work too.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: