Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stupid exhaust hardware question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Stupid exhaust hardware question Reply with quote

I'm replacing my full exhaust system today on my 83.5 1.9L WBX. Yesterday I removed the old rusty bits and today I'm putting in the van-cafe kit. The problem is that I've got a lot of hardware, no instructions, and I'm concerned that I'll choose poorly when I'm bolting all this stuff back together. I was hoping that the number of the different nuts and bolts would give things away but I'm failing to see the pattern. So...

1) Where do I need to use the locking nuts?

2) Where do I need to use the wavy washers?

3) Where do I use the long bolts?

4) Where do I use the studs?

Finally, is there a trick to removing my old O2 sensor. I've just about stripped the nut trying to get that thing out. If not is that something that my FLAPS might actually have in stock? I typically do the mail order thing but I'd hate to keep the van dry docked for another week while I wait for a simple sensor.

Thanks so much for helping a n00b out!
Dant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get to a dealer or find someone with ETKA, an illustration can be printed. It shows all the pieces parts exploded view.

I just did a print screen of it and pasted it into paint...can I attach files using the Samba's "PMAIL"?

If someone can tell me a good way to get this llustration out of ETKA and into SAMBA we could help this guy out.....
91 Syncro (Stripped,Plain Jane,fixed vent windows,no tach) also rusty. Hurray for me!
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks so much for doing that. I sent you a pm with my email address if that helps at all.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy enough to call the vendor and have them run you thru the intended use of the hardware they supply. VC is very helpful on customer service, in my experience. I know it's Sunday, but if you haven't figured it out by tonight, give them a call in the AM.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the website, www.van-cafe.com , click on the exhaust for your year van and then the hardware kit. It tells you which bolts and nuts to use where. I used this for my new exhaust install, it is all good now and sounds great. Good luck ! Oh, on the OXY sensor I got one from Auto Zone $18.95 .
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sagebus wrote:
Go to the website, www.van-cafe.com , click on the exhaust for your year van and then the hardware kit. It tells you which bolts and nuts to use where. I used this for my new exhaust install, it is all good now and sounds great. Good luck ! Oh, on the OXY sensor I got one from Auto Zone $18.95 .

Yeah, I was going to say, on the van-cafe website under each piece of hardware, they do a pretty job explaining what each bit should be used for.

http://www.van-cafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?ct=11540435&pa=pct&pct=249315255

that should help you separate all your pieces out.

On the sensor, I'd recommend buying one of those small, cheap propane torches and heating up the oxy base. It should come out then if you haven't stripped out the corners too much.
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to use a six-point tool on the o2 sensor. A twelve point will round too easily. Autozone should also have the appropriate oxygen sensor socket; if not, NAPA will. And, as Jamos suggested, add heat.
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on the O2 sensor. I ended up getting a new Bosche universal sensor for $17.95 at the local Autozone. Also that tip on the descriptions from van-cafe was even more helpful than the diagram turned out to be.

Sadly though my exhaust project is still incomplete. Thanks to several rain delays throughout the day I ended up not getting everything back together until well after dark. At that point I cranked the engine and... sigh... listened to the rhythmic chugging of a leaking exhaust. I pin-pointed the source of the leak with my hand and quickly realized how silly I was to bolt the curved piece to the manifolds last (even after I got the muffler strap on). I should have realized that all that struggling I was doing to get the bolts through would result in a less than ideal connection but hey, live and learn. So some time this week I'll have to disconnect the muffler strap and get a better fit to the manifolds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: