Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera Camper Project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Calibrating VDO 80psi 2 Post Oil Pressure Sender Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

How did you calibrate it? If you don't mind me asking?
Thanks You
Tcash

Not at all. I got the idea from a thread on the Split forum. Pry0man took one apart and showed how he calibrated the sender.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449841&highlight=vdo+sender

I was going to hire him to calibrate mine when I discovered I had a co-worker who's husband works for Simco Electronics where they can calibrate these kind of things. I sent him a stock oil pressure sender, the VDO gauge, and the dual pole sender (which I had already dremeled the cover off). There was a problem with the sender's original spring as it would read inconsistent/variable pressures so he replaced that spring and had it calibrated and the idiot light switch adjusted.

I haven't yet tried it out of course but the idea is avoid the problem of a flickering oil light of a hot engine at idle or T in the stock sender.

Eskimotom wrote:
Hey Chris & Kerrianne, Eskimo Tom checking in...

Hey Tom! Good chatting with you tonight. Let's get together sometime.

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Calibrating VDO 80psi 2 Post Oil Pressure Sender Reply with quote

BellePlaine wrote:

One more thing; I had a dual pole VDO oil pressure sender calibrated and the idiot light switch modified to go off at 4 psi, which is closer to stock then as it was.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo if it mounted to the engine but here's photo of the guts.

I opened the cover carefully with a dremel cutting wheel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How did you calibrate it? If you don't mind me asking?
Thanks You
Tcash
Eskimotom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris & Kerrianne, Eskimo Tom checking in, I bring home my 71 Sportmobile home tomorrow AM from the Cities.

It has the same style pop top but without the cap over the cab.

Give me a call, I'm a bay window owner once again. I miss my 76 which went to someone in South Dakota about 7 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for others but I find that putting the bus away for the winter help re-engergize my motivation for projects. If I had to drive this thing year-round, I'd probably hate it.

Also, I hire Amskeptic each year to help me with my projects; lately I've viewed his visit as deadline of which to have my projects completed by. That way I can use him as a double-check/fine tune. A day with Colin is like a day at VW school. When the professor comes around, I want to have my term project ready to present. Very Happy

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are amazing, for so many reasons. I'm so, so impressed. So are you an engineer or what?! And where you get the energy, focus, drive... I just can't imagine. You make me feel like the laziest, stupidest (!) waste of a human being!!! Type Z, that's me! Laughing
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been years since I've updated this thread so here's the latest.

Last summer, on a camping trip a few hundred miles from home in Northern Wisconsin, the cam shaft got sloppy with the cam shaft gear causing us to finish our vacation in a rental car.

I was contemplating having an engine rebuilt or doing it myself when I found this engine for sale from aeromech.

It's a used engine with unknown hours and sat for years in a shop. It had been rebuilt at some point but not by aeromech. Anyway, the compression and flywheel endplay was great and I even saw a YouTube video of it running.

So as soon as we had some nice Minnesota weather, I dropped my old engine.

And cut a well for a new CHT sender ring and swapped the Progressive for stock fuel injection.

I took the pressure plate off and discovered that everything was a rusty mess.

This is a 215 set up and the disc from my old engine is a 210 so I don't really want to reuse it. I've sent the flywheel and pressure plate out to be glass-bead blasted and I just ordered a new disc. Question; once I get this flywheel/pp back, should I take it to a machine shop to have it checked for balance?

I'm also sitting on my thumbs thinking about what should be done, if anything, to these galley plugs since they are out in the open. JB Weld and move on, I guess.

Besides preparing this engine, I'm doing other projects. I've installed OP and OT gauges (already had the CHT gauge).

And I wired these aux gauge lights to the headlight switch via a Radio Shack resistor because I wanted to reduce the load on my original headlight switch.

Some more information about that project here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...p;start=20

While I was at it, I installed double 87 headlight relays and rewired the headlights from the starter to the lamps. I included a fog light circuit to use sometime in the future.

Another question; should I run 8 amp fuses on all wires: power from the starter to the relays, and power from the relays to the headlamps?

One more thing; I had a dual pole VDO oil pressure sender calibrated and the idiot light switch modified to go off at 4 psi, which is closer to stock then as it was.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo if it mounted to the engine but here's photo of the guts.

I opened the cover carefully with a dremel cutting wheel.

So there's the Spring 2015 update. The 002 5-rib transmission input shaft seal is leaking so I have to replace that. And then as soon as I get the flywheel situation sorted out I think that I'll be driving again soon.

Last edited by BellePlaine on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update to this old thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526482

vdubman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread has been dead for about 4 months, but just wanted to say what a great job you have done on this bus. I'm a home brewer too and thought yout keg idea was awesome! Also the swivel seat! Thats one mod I want to do ASAP. Good work happy camping!
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the idea. If I was to do it again, I would not have cut out the base of the luggage rack but just the sides to the fit the tire. Holding it down with the footman loops would have probably worked just fine.

And hey, since I've dusted off this thread, let me show you what else I've been up to:

I cut out my passenger bulkhead and had a swivel seat base and the triangle gusset welded in. Over the winter I repadded a set of late Westy seats to install. Now I have a swivel seat and more importantly, extra seating room for my four-person family.

kampalm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wanting to get my spare off of the front of my bus and I really like how it turned out for you though I think I would go with cargo straps hooked to re-inforced footman loops. That is a great inovation!
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that spare tire mod you did!
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks good overall. I've been trying to come up with some place to put a spare for my riviera conversion. I don't want to hang anything off the nose of my bus. The shape of your cut out is probobly enough to keep the tire secure. I'd find a cargo net out of an suv in the bone yard and cut it down to fit your footman loops in the rack.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:
Certainly a great looking install. My concern would be the weight of the tire on the roof in a central point, instead of spread out over a larger area...along with the JBWeld. But, it does look clean.

Not because of any great engineering on my part, but by chance, the tire does not rest its weight on the mount. The entire weight of the tire is on borne by the luggage rack/roof. The mount just keeps the tire down. I had the same concern as you about denting my roof with weight of the tire which is kind of why I liked using the fuel line as a spacer/bushing.

Stuart wrote:
i like it! how much did you pay originaly for the busses each? how much have you spent?

If I post it here, my wife might find out! Razz I will say that the Riviera I got for "free" as the previous owner wanted to see it go to a good home. Other then the body being fairly rust free, the Riviera wasn't worth much at the time though. The interior was completely shot with rodent damage and the engine had seized from sitting still for 22 years.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it! how much did you pay originaly for the busses each? how much have you spent?

Stuart

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a great looking install. My concern would be the weight of the tire on the roof in a central point, instead of spread out over a larger area...along with the JBWeld. But, it does look clean.

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I was more optimistic about JB Weld then realistic. In hindsight, I agree that there are better options. I kind of like your strap idea. In the meantime, the tire is fitted moderately tight in its home.

Thanks, but don't worry about the steering coupler. I finished that job up long ago.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BellePlaine wrote:
Well, here's another mod to check off of my list:

I like it!, but those JB welded mounts do nothing for me, you're entirely counting on how well the paint is stuck to the roof, could end badly. I'd run a couple of bungees over it for insurance myself, or a hinged metal strap with a safety pin or bolt on the loose end.

It's been a while since I did a steering coupler but i'd guess the spacer goes in the center, I'll try to have a look at one today.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's another mod to check off of my list:

My wife hates it, my neighbor hates it, but I love it. I'll admit, cutting up my luggage rack took more chutzpah then I normally carry with me but I did it for two reasons: I feel spare tires mounted to nose is dangerous to my knees (I'm 6'7"), and I never was crazy about the appearance.

Because my bus is a Riviera conversion, its luggage rack is fairly deep. When the tire lays down flat inside, you can just barely notice that it is there.

It's mounted via stainless steel nuts that I JB Welded to the roof.

The nose mount needed some elevation so I found some new fuel line to act as bushings/spacers.

My OTHER neighbor had some of this U-Channel edging lying around which worked perfectly to dress up and protect the new shape of the luggage rack.

So now, I have a clean nose onto which I'll place a VW emblem.

Cheers!

BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter projects; here is my seat frame bottom after some time using a brass wire wheel to remove the crusty rust from the springs. I'll have to use a piece of sandpaper to get the parts that my wheel couldn't reach.
And maybe some soapy water or GooGone to clean the inside of the base.

BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are so nice, thanks. BTW, Bus Depot got back to me and miss-shipped the wrong coupler. They are making it right.

But what about that spacer? It that important? It must be but I only found one spacer and I just don't know if it goes over or below the coupler?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: