Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bucko's New Speakers
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Bucko's New Speakers Reply with quote

Bucko stopped by this weekend for an afternoon of stereo betterment.
He had just put in a new stereo, and the old stock speakers weren’t cutting it.
So we decided on one of the hottest days of the year to put new front speakers in
I live in an apartment, but at least have a carport, it gave us some good shade, but we where still sweating with the oldies.
He got a set of Infinity 6020cs speakers, which consist of two tweeters, two crossovers, two woofers and various other bits to mount them.
Putting them in took a few hours but wasn’t to bad, he already had wires going to the doors, so that saved some time.

Bucko arrives.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Starting the install, marking where to cut out holes for the woofers.

Lining up the screw holes to attach the woofer to the door.

The crossovers where mounted on lip behind the glovebox, it was easy to splice the existing wire to the old door speakers. The wire to the tweeters wasn’t that hard to run.

The tweeters were last, going on the dashboard.
He has the padded dash witch didn’t give much room to mount them behind the vent, so they went in front of it.

All done!

Here we are finished, we had a couple of small snafus, but all in all it went pretty smooth.
The speakers sound really good, and Bucko was happy.
cheekoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great guys!

I wish I had another westy bussy around here to work on my van with me. I don't have a house either mightyart, I'm selling my place in NY and waiting for those funds before purchasing something up here in VT.
Question:

If I wanted to mount some tweeters on my dash, could I simply splice the wires from my existing door speakers or would they require crossovers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the trip home with good tunes was an added bonus! I can actually hear the radio now. I await for the purists to yell at me for distroying a set of premo door panels. Seeing as how this is my daily driver, I just got to have more cow bell; giv me more cow bell (SNL skit).

One interesting "snaffoo" that Mightyart mentioned was the passenger door closing. We tested each connection along the installation. When we were done, we closed the doors and inserted a CD, prepared to listen to the new sounds; NOTHING. We figured the last thing we installed was the drivers side tweeter, so we disconnected that, and we had sound (doors were re-opened as it was getting hot inside the Van). We closed the doors; NOTHING. Puzzlement as we looked at each other. We found that closing the drivers door caused the lower door speaker connection to short on the inner door metal. I figured it was the VW gods that were angry with me going against my normally "stock mode" of thinking. Mightyart was about to throw holy water on the door and chant for the demons to be gone. A quick removal of the speaker, rotated the speacker to the left, and re-installed. All was well. A good day indeed. Thanks Mightyart.

Now for that AC wiring install.....

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
OxygenDestroyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. I had those speakers in my 87 camper but we sold it. The tweets being up where you can hear them makes all the difference.
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!

I have almost the same exact configuration in my weekender...except the shop that installed it all put the tweeters in the center of the stock speaker grilles.

They bored out a hole in the middle of the plastic grille and used a bracket to
hold it in place. It looks nice, keeps everything contained to the door, and sounds pretty good...although I'd bet that those tweeters mounted on the dash like that sound even better.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekoman wrote:
Looks great guys!

I wish I had another westy bussy around here to work on my van with me. I don't have a house either mightyart, I'm selling my place in NY and waiting for those funds before purchasing something up here in VT.
Question:

If I wanted to mount some tweeters on my dash, could I simply splice the wires from my existing door speakers or would they require crossovers?

You'll need the cross-over boxs to seperate the lows (bass and mid range) from the highs. Not expensive to buy.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automotive tweeters will come with a crossover attached. If you don't have one they will quickly burn out. The Pyramid TW22N tweeters I have came with a little swivel mount that affords mounting possibilities. Mine are attached to the A pillars.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: