Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2,2 wbx high compression and other issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyniaan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: 2,2 wbx high compression and other issues Reply with quote

OK hivemind:
cranking PSI, throttle open, dry, not-yet run:
1/2/3/4
205/210/40/205
Similar numbers after re-adjusting #3 rockers and running it.

Definitely hard starting. After a drive, certainly dead cylinder. It has obvious misfire below 2500 and when loading. Sad.

This is a Tassi's 2.2 with about 50k miles.
~ Greg/Bruce uses a cam profile similar-to the GoWesty 2.2

I just put rebuilt heads on it about 1500 miles ago - pretty sad about the 40psi. It "comes alive" at 2500 rpm, and has no chuff or sneeze (haven't done a leakdown, but pretty certain it's all exhaust valve)
- definitely no blow-by or a holed piston either.

I did a flush, reset and bench-bleed on the lifters when I did the heads - they seem to be pretty OK.

- Reason for the new heads is that one of the AMC's Greg had put on may have had an "oooey" in the re-work flycut, it blew the gasket and was pressurizing the cooling system. both sets, the AMC's and the OEM had the inevitable 'tween the valve seats cracking - within Bentley service limits (And I pin-piened them as well.

As I had found a set of OEM that hadn't been cut to put on. The chambers looked the same size? are they?

But WTH on the 200+ compression?
Are there major differences between the AMC and OEM heads for chamber volume?
That's the only thing I can think of...

Thanks, Mike
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2,2 wbx high compression and other issues Reply with quote

I would be FAR more concerned about the dead hole than anything else.

Do the leak down, that will tell you what is up.

A boroscope would be handy too.

In any case your number 3 is dead.

Do not guess, do the tests.

50K and a dead hole is not normal.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2,2 wbx high compression and other issues Reply with quote

Sorry a little confused. The OE heads you installed. Where these good used heads assembled, bare used heads you swapped the valves to, or new old stock?
The only real way to compare chamber volume is to cc them. To take it a step further you should calculate the compression ratio when you build any engine regardless. 200 psi + sounds like more than carbon build up. Sounds like the engine is coming apart again so you will have the opportunity to measure compression ratio.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2,2 wbx high compression and other issues Reply with quote

with readings of 200psi on a WBX, make sure you verify the accuracy of your compression gauge before taking action based on those readings.

that said, were this mine i'd find a way to put some air pressure in the #3 spark plug hole while on the compression stroke and listen to where the air leak is... exhaust, intake, crankcase. don't really need a leak down test at the point of 40psi compression, just to find WHERE the leak is.

you might want to remove the rocker shaft from the 3/4 side and play the rubber mallet on the intake and exhaust valve with a few psi of air pressure in the spark plug hole. might blow something out of the valve seat or reseat a gummy valve stem.

had this van sat a while before developing this problem? more and more, folks are getting sticky valve stems with fuel formulations combined with drippy injectors.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: