Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wipers won't park
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Wipers won't park Reply with quote

When I turn off my wipers, they simply stop where they are. Why won't they 'park' at the bottom of the windshield? Thanks
207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=302402&highlight=

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rewired a bug years ago and had the same problem. If I remember correctly it ended up being a relay which needed to be connected to make them return to the park position. May help to look at an original wiring diagram to see if all the connections are made.

WTB- Billet center caps with Wolfsburg logo

72 Ghia Vert project
Bodywork http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303542&highlight=
Re-assembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4762737#4762737

72 Beetle Weekend Driver, restored in the 90's
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=353424

www.airsuckers.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem once. Turns out a wire had come unsoldered from the motor. I soldered it back on, problem fixed. It's easy to see these wires if you remove your glove box.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referring to the pre-66 wiring scheme on this website. (which doesn't show terminal numbers Sad )

Look at the fuse box and you will see three black wires on a fuse sitting at one end of the block. One wire goes to the fuel gauge, another to the brake light switch on the master cylinder. The third wire runs to the wiper switch and then jumps from that same terminal to one of the terminals on the wiper motor.

This means voltage is always provided to the wiper motor, bypassing the wiper control. However, inside the motor is a contact that is closed when the wiper is not in the rest position. This will ensure that regardless of the switch, the motor keeps turning when off the rest position. When the switch is turned off AND the wipers are elsewhere on their travel, the internal contact is also closed and the wipers keep moving until arriving at the rest position. At that point the contact opens and motion ceases. (I think I just said the same thing twice)

The other wire(s) between the switch and the motor become "live" only when the switch is on. This is what will start the motor and leaves it running. If you have a two speed motor There is red wire and a black/violet wire. A single speed motor will have just one of those. (I'm not sure which)

If the internal contact is damaged or the black wire is missing, the wiper only moves with the switch control.

I hope this helps

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys. I should have mentioned the Ghia is a '71.
207-242-0016
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sputnik. I'll go have a look. It's a shame though. Timing the wiper parking has become fun, in an angry way.
207-242-0016
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: