Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering the rear
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingsfanrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Lowering the rear Reply with quote

I am doing a search as you read...I am looking for a quicker answer. I am going to lower the rear of a 64. 205 60's on 5 spokes. I do not want a lot of camber, do I adjust the "outer" splines? I looked at the pic's thread on tire set up and it confused me more. I figured 2 notches or the spring plate drop extensions. I will continue to read threads but your input should be helpful. Thanks. I will be posting an add for repop alloys soon so be on the look out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two outer notches will give you a lot of camber. One outer notch will do and you'll have to remove your bump stops as well.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle

Last edited by Joey on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingsfanrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outer or inner?
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did the +5 & -5 on my '65:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kingsfanrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! What do you think about the 2.75" spring plate extensions? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=595326 which one is smoother?
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a sticky withe 3 pages of info.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212669

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only want to go down a little, you won't need the extensions.

The extensions are only needed if you are going extream.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Terrazas wrote:
Sweet! What do you think about the 2.75" spring plate extensions? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=595326 which one is smoother?

I'm not to keen on having to cut off the lower shock mount. I don't do nothing that can't be reversed back to stock ....but that's just me.

ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56ovalbug wrote:
Robert Terrazas wrote:

I'm not to keen on having to cut off the lower shock mount. I don't do nothing that can't be reversed back to stock ....but that's just me.

I just put the extensions on my car. even though you have to cut off the shock tower its not that big of deal easily replaceable to bring back to stock.What I liked about them is that I got the look I wanted and didnt have to mess with the spring plates. If I ever want to go back to stock Ill just put new ends on the axel tubes. here are pics of my car with the extentions. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=294170&start=80

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingsfanrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright guys, I have finally finished reading all of the threads, and man do you guys offer a lot of info. Now I am stuck becuase I am not sure of the look I want now. Cal Look with stock rear or slammed. Which method gives me more clearance for the exhaust. I would hate to mash on the peddle only to have my exhaust stay at the light.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with one outer spline, you'll be happy. I run 205 60's on my '67 with it down one outer spline. No clearance problems with the tires and still have some reasonable clearance for an aftermarket exhaust.. oh and free Cool

I can't figure out the argument for the drop extensions.. They claim it so they don't have to mess with the spring plates. At the same time, their defense for cutting off the lower shock mount is that the end casting is replaceable. I don't know about you, but re-indexing the spring plates is a LOT easier than trying to swap out the end casting on an axle tube. I think everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon and haven't ever tried to do either of the procedures. So that logic doesn't really add up for me... Now if your going for super slammed, then there is some benefits with the drop extensions to help keep the toe on the rear in check, but I digress..

Re-indexing your spring plates is not difficult and there is a ton of tech info and step by step instructions online to help you out

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Re-indexing your spring plates is not difficult and there is a ton of tech info and step by step instructions online to help you out

Exactly. One hour for the first side (learning curve) and half hour for the other. Change the bushing while you're in there. And, if one side is lower than the other you can fine tune it - can't do that with just the drop extensions.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: