Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front engine tin differences
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:53 pm    Post subject: Front engine tin differences Reply with quote

Going through the piles of tin, and I realized there were different early tins. Some have two tabs to grab the bell hosing flange, and some have 1 welded tab in center. I think the single tab was on a zwitter engine, but I have a second and it came out of a 57..
I have several with the two tabs. A search here yielded no results.
Anyone?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: front engine tin differences Reply with quote

I mentioned this detail here, halfway down the page
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179439&start=600
Looks like it went from one to two tabs in 57 or so

RockStock wrote:

30hp front tin…when was the change?
1 tab & 2 tab
Which is the earlier version? 1 tab?
1 tab seen on a May 56 engine

s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: front engine tin differences Reply with quote

if i had the means to be a serious collector, i would either worship or

curse the Zwitter.

probably both, and on the same day, too.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: front engine tin differences Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
I mentioned this detail here, halfway down the page
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179439&start=600
Looks like it went from one to two tabs in 57 or so

I asked this question on an split and oval page on FB, and had several people respond that their 57 cars had the single tab tin, and someone locally has a very original 56 that has the 2 tab stye. So perhaps there was some crossover? @ different suppliers? A design change while there was inventory of the other style somewhere? I wonder.
I have not seen any pics showing the 2 tab style earlier than 56....
RustPatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: front engine tin differences Reply with quote

I have 2 tabs on my Feb '55. Looks original but who really knows.

Both the 1952 and 1956 IPCs available on the samba show drawings of the single tab tin with part number of 111 119 513.
The 1960 IPC shows two tabs with a part number change to 111 119 517.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: front engine tin differences Reply with quote

RustPatch wrote:
I have 2 tabs on my Feb '55. Looks original but who really knows.

Both the 1952 and 1956 IPCs available on the samba show drawings of the single tab tin with part number of 111 119 513.
The 1960 IPC shows two tabs with a part number change to 111 119 517.

Be careful when relying on parts diagrams, owners manuals and repair manuals for defining when details change. It was a lot harder back then to change the artwork that went into those documents so they would reuse old artwork well past when any minor details changed. They only went to the effort of taking new pictures, making new or modifying drawings when there was a very good reason. They even airbrushed certain details onto old pictures to avoid taking new pictures, but again for a good reason, such as something that the customer would notice, or a major enough change that the parts guy or mechanic needs to see the new details.

Notice anything different about the picture of the man washing the car?

The first one is from a '54 manual, and the second is from a '56 manual.

Same exact photograph, different tail lights and tail pipes. This was something a customer would notice, so it warranted airbrushing the new tail lights on, and was cheaper, easier, faster than taking a new picture. A slight change in the tabs on the front engine tin, most likely wouldn't warrant the effort and expense to change the artwork.

As to why they changed from the single, welded on tab to the two, part of the stamping tabs, probably partially because it was simpler and cheaper to modify the dies so they are created during the stamping process than someone having to stamp the tabs and another person to spot weld them on, and they probably determined that two tabs held the tin in place better than one.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: