Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Out Window Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
I believe they are M3.5 x .6 for the original size. If you have to re-tap them then M4 is what works.
I rang WW since I couldn't locally find the 3.5 for the hinge screws (which i didn't have to re-tap). They tossed them in an envelope for $2 and I had them in two days.
On their site they sell both the 3.5 and the 4... but what you'll use depends if you re-tap.

Thanks!!!
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

Just to be clear, is it M3 with a thread pitch of 0.5 and a length of 0.6 (cm?)?

Or M3.5 with a length of 0.6 cm?

Or M3.5 with a thread pitch of 0.6 (which sounds odd) and a length of...?
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

The last one as I recall, as I couldn't find any length locally between 3 and 4.

After writing that sentence, I went back to early posts in this thread and the OG poster stated "original tap size is 3.5mm x .6 pitch"... so my memory isn't 100% shot yet. Now if I could just find my glasses! Oh, they're on my head...!

Last edited by rennie on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
The last one as I recall, as I couldn't find any length locally between 3 and 4.

After writing that sentence, I went back to early posts in this thread and the OG poster stated "original tap size is 3.5mm x .6 pitch"... so my memory is 100% shot yet. Now if I could just find my glasses! Oh, they're on my head...!

Thanks! (and well done!) Very Happy
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

Have I said how much I love using woodworking clamps to build a pop out window? I finally ventured out into the workshop to tackle this part of my build. I drilled and tapped 4 frames, build 2 in no time using these clamps. Have any of you used clear glide on the rubbers to aid them sliding into place?

Frame to glass and frame to body seal as well.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
Have I said how much I love using woodworking clamps to build a pop out window? I finally ventured out into the workshop to tackle this part of my build. I drilled and tapped 4 frames, build 2 in no time using these clamps. Have any of you used clear glide on the rubbers to aid them sliding into place?

Frame to glass and frame to body seal as well.

Woodworking clamps are the way to go on the pop-out assembly for sure. On my last window install I used vasoline on everything which worked very well.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

I have a question about removing the outside seal from the small channels. I live in the desert where it gets really hot 110 degrees in the summer. The window seals on my double cab might still be the original ones from 1959 and the rubber is petrified. I started to work on one pop out window today and the rubber is so hard you have to use a tiny screw driver and a mallet to hammer and do sections 1/8 inch at a time. It seems almost like I am chiseling out concrete. I spent 2 hours and did about 1/2 of one frame, does anyone know of a better way to get the extremely sun baked petrified seals off? I am trying to use the original paint window frames so it is not an option to just buy new frames.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

I used light heat from a small propane torch. it should work for petrified rubber?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

I have done this on a couple AZ Buses and it's basically how you mentioned.

One thing that helped me was to use a razor blade to slice the rubber along its length. A lot of times this let me slide or pull out large thin pieces all at once, once I got one end of a slice popped out of the channel with a tiny screwdriver.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
I have a question about removing the outside seal from the small channels. I live in the desert where it gets really hot 110 degrees in the summer. The window seals on my double cab might still be the original ones from 1959 and the rubber is petrified. I started to work on one pop out window today and the rubber is so hard you have to use a tiny screw driver and a mallet to hammer and do sections 1/8 inch at a time. It seems almost like I am chiseling out concrete. I spent 2 hours and did about 1/2 of one frame, does anyone know of a better way to get the extremely sun baked petrified seals off? I am trying to use the original paint window frames so it is not an option to just buy new frames.

I only have one pop out but had the very same issue with the OG seal. I didn't try it but just now thought about heat gunning to make it softer (if possible) then cut it up in the channel with a carton cutter or thin, small tip slotted screw driver. Blue sky, I know. I ended up breaking/cutting mine up that way in the channel (sans heat gun) and guided it to the corners where I could wedge some of it out.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

Hey Ron, I tried everything, razor blade, pick, thin flat screw driver, even jabbed myself in the hand OUCH

So on mine, my pop outs came straight from Yuma Arizona so I know exactly what you mean. Petrified black coal. I used my cut off wheel (whiz wheel) and went completely around the window frame dead center over that hard ass petrified rubber. my cut off wheel blade was kind of thick so by the time I broke completely through the old rubber, I could literally shake them and one side would fall out, then the other side would fall out. Basically I was splitting it into two strips and the void of rubber I cut down the center of the frame made an open 'aisle way' so the rubber acted like when people get off an airplane once it lands if that makes any sense Laughing
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks you all for the helpful tips, I will try out these methods. I have a heat gun, razors and a grinder with a cut off wheel.
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

Hey Ron, I tried everything, razor blade, pick, thin flat screw driver, even jabbed myself in the hand OUCH

So on mine, my pop outs came straight from Yuma Arizona so I know exactly what you mean. Petrified black coal. I used my cut off wheel (whiz wheel) and went completely around the window frame dead center over that hard ass petrified rubber. my cut off wheel blade was kind of thick so by the time I broke completely through the old rubber, I could literally shake them and one side would fall out, then the other side would fall out. Basically I was splitting it into two strips and the void of rubber I cut down the center of the frame made an open 'aisle way' so the rubber acted like when people get off an airplane once it lands if that makes any sense Laughing
good idea with the cut off wheel, I used a hammer and small screwdriver to shatter the rubber yielding many pieces in my eyes, I will have to try the grinder on all this Yuma crispy rubber Smile
Alex1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

I'm currently restoring my pop outs as well but I'm not sure if I installed them properly. Sorry, despite owning my bus forever, I'm still a bit of a newb so please excuse my questions that probably have a simple answer I couldn't find.

I've been posting my progress on my bus thread (here's where the pop out window portion starts - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8576909#8576909) but this is where I'm running into a snag. I've dry fit the seal to the body and put the windows in. I'm not sure I installed it correctly though, as it's extremely difficult to open the windows. Could someone look over what I've done? Did I do it correctly? Do they eventually "loosen up" or did I mess up by putting the wrong thing somewhere the wrong way?

Follow me on Instagram, where I post a lot of bus progress. https://www.instagram.com/quietlyscheming/

===============================
“Don't be a dick.” --Wheaton's Law, Wil Wheaton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

Did you put baby powder on the outside of the seals? And can't tell if your frame on the body is raw... Is there paint?
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alex1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
Did you put baby powder on the outside of the seals? And can't tell if your frame on the body is raw... Is there paint?

I didn't put any baby powder on the outside of the seals. The windows are extremely difficult to open to the point I'm concerned I'll break them trying to open them.

The body painted with primer. Did I install the seals properly? Are they supposed to be that tight initially?

Follow me on Instagram, where I post a lot of bus progress. https://www.instagram.com/quietlyscheming/

===============================
“Don't be a dick.” --Wheaton's Law, Wil Wheaton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marius71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

I am making my pop-out windows. My original rubbers look different. They don't have the lip going over the frame surface. That will have another look afterwards. The black rubber line will be more visible.
Also the base looks way thicker than the ww part. I hope they don't fall out...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

Original German was like the top photo of WW rubber. The stuff in your thumb top and bottom photo looks more like the squeegee on top of the front doors window frames.

What WW rubber is in the bottom photo?
marius71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

It's the same parts, just taken the picture from the opposite side.
btdt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Out Window Restoration Reply with quote

Has anyone tried rivets versus welding the pop-out hinge in place? I have a DC that is no where need OG and new pop-outs will open towards rear so seems less strain on hinge. All body work is done and my mig is toast, not to mention engine is out and will have to trailer for the welding. Hate to purchase a new welder to secure two hinges. Has anyone welded it with stick?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: