Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat belt bolt removal
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

Ok, what diabolical SOB at VW came up with the seat belt nuts that can’t be reached at the same time as the head of the bolt? Not all of us have helpers. Not only that, the bolts are really long, so I of course have no socket that can reach the nut… not to mention the fact that the bolt tilts and throws the wrench off the nut. I can mostly get the ones by the door opening (tho they are so rusty I can’t budge them) but the ones in the tool well are stumping me for solo removal. Considering a hacksaw might be easier.

Not really a question - more a rant. Two hours, three busted knuckles, and about 4 turns total per nut, even after soaking in liquid wrench for days.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

On your '65? Aren't the "nuts" welded onto the reinforcement plates?

My '63 has big plates with round "nuts":
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

Looks like just a hole. Possible the wheelwell nuts have broken loose as they definitely spin. Toolwell I can’t tell because I can’t do both at once. Might try to get a video from below while I turn bolt head in well to see.

Wheelwell nut

Toolwell nut

Bolt head by doors

"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

Aftermarket, and a really shitty job at that, not even a big washer to prevent it from pulling through, those belts were only decorative.

Clamping a big pair of vise grips on that will catch on something to hold it while you turn from above, but sawing it off would be my first choice.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

At least they used the factory belts lol

-Robert Williams
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

Those are aftermarket as well, common ones sold by most North American dealers (and likely VWOA), but not from a factory in Germany. Rebranded Air Associates belts (or a similar brand), found in many other makes too with the appropriate sticker applied to the buckle.

Better markup than pushing the customer to opt for the German belt upgrade, just like radios. Sadly the zitty faced kid tasked with installing those didn't read the instructions properly. Rolling Eyes

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

Thanks for that; went and cleaned off the rust and paint and found they ar Hickok belts.

I put retractable 3-points into my bay; might have to investigate that here, since I'll need someone to do welding anyways...
-Robert Williams
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

Search of the internet for "Nut splitter tool":

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=nut+splitter+tool&ia=web
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

Found my nut splitter, split the nut... stayed on the bolt! LOL. I'm gonna have to do most of them twice, and pound off the pieces. If it wasn't so loud under the wheelwell with a Fein tool I'd just saw the bolt in half!
-Robert Williams
Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
Found my nut splitter, split the nut... stayed on the bolt! LOL. I'm gonna have to do most of them twice, and pound off the pieces. If it wasn't so loud under the wheelwell with a Fein tool I'd just saw the bolt in half!

You can cut the bolt and nut with an angle grinder, clamp the upper side to hold the bolt.

-Christian
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

If the nut is split it must turn now, clamp some locking pliers on it and unwind the bolt out from above.

Слава Україні!
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat belt bolt removal Reply with quote

Got them off by buying a Makita impact wrench with deep sockets and a waaaay bigger visegrip. Even the split nuts resisted the impact wench for a few seconds. They weren't, but I was beginning to wonder if they were welded on...
-Robert Williams
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: